Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
wnba_16playoffs_bracket_stormwin.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thx for posting that. I wondered how they were going to do it. For me, not in favor. 8 should play 1, 7 should play 2, etc etc. Each team should play in each round IMHO. Just like they do in the NBA. And I'd prefer best 3 out of 5, not best 2 out of 3.

psconn

Reaction Score
Thx for posting that. I wondered how they were going to do it. For me, not in favor. 8 should play 1, 7 should play 2, etc etc. Each team should play in each round IMHO. Just like they do in the NBA. And I'd prefer best 3 out of 5, not best 2 out of 3.

You're welcome.
Rounds 1 and 2 are one and done, survive and advance, just like the NCAAs.
Semis and Finals are 3 out of 5.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WOW... one and done, geesh!

I assume this has to do with the abbreviated season created by the Olympics?

Phoenix would have to get past Indy, NY and then Minny. They would have been better off missing the playoffs and being part of the draft lottery.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I assume this has to do with the abbreviated season created by the Olympics?

Phoenix would have to get past Indy, NY and then Minny. They would have been better off missing the playoffs and being part of the draft lottery.

Not with next years weaker crop of seniors. Despite underperforming all year and nabbing the 8th seed, Phoenix is easily the scariest 8 seed in the history of the league and could definitely contend to win it all. The single elimination games bode well for them, especially with a player like Taurasi in the lineup. Then if they face Minny, they have the horses to go toe to toe with the Lynx and would end up facing New York or LA who do not have the same caliber of talent as Phoenix does. I don't think they'll win it all, but I think they have a decent shot and no one from the lottery next year is a "must get" player.

psconn

Reaction Score
Additional changes to the playoff structure are as follows:

• The number of playoff rounds increases from three to four. The top two seeds receive a bye to the semifinals (third round), and the third and fourth seeds receive a bye to the second round.
  • Teams will be re-seeded after each postseason round.
  • The first and second rounds are single elimination. In the first round, the No. 5 seed hosts the No. 8 seed and the No. 6 seed hosts the No. 7 seed. In the second round, the No. 3 seed hosts the lowest-seeded first-round winner and the No. 4 seed hosts the other first-round winner.
  • The semifinals feature a best-of-five format, with the No. 1 overall seed playing the lowest remaining seed and the No. 2 overall seed meeting the remaining team. The Nos. 1 and 2 seeds will host Games 1, 2 and 5, and the lower-seeded teams will host Games 3 and 4 in their respective series. The WNBA Finals remain best-of-five and follow the same 2-2-1 format.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I like the changes. The best two teams are exempt from falling prey to a single-game upset, which provides an incentive for teams to play hard all season rather than settle for merely making the playoffs. The early round series in the previous system were too often boring. It just wasn't interesting watching sub-.500 teams play in series, even at best-of-3 length.

I think the single-elim format for the first couple of rounds will be exciting. And then we get to see longer series between teams that are actually worth watching.

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be an entertaining playoff series. I like the new format. You better show up to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom