WNBA Off-Season: November News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season: November News

Reaction Score
Lynx repped by Naphessa Collier. Said Lynx is a Dynasty. Very Geno like :cool::cool::cool:

After Boston, not a great draft imho

You don’t think so?? I think this is a better draft than the last 2-3 years

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You don’t think so?? I think this is a better draft than the last 2-3 years
Does that say much? Last year surprised in depth with more players sticking than I thought. This draft, no game changers after Boston I think. Too bad Lynx did not get top 2 pick next year. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If I’m Boston, I take a fifth year cus….Indiana?!
Oprah Winfrey GIF
Yeah, my first thought was I hate to think of a talented player ans wonderful person like Boston languishing in Indiana for four years.

Reaction Score

:p wouldn't be shocked if she wanted the 3 peat. Playing with Destiny Henderson would be cool, but in the Wnba u never know whose gonna get cut on a year to year basis. I would much rather see her not waste her career in Indiana and comeback for a 5th season, now with NIL it makes it easier too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, my first thought was I hate to think of a talented player ans wonderful person like Boston languishing in Indiana for four years.

:p wouldn't be shocked if she wanted the 3 peat. Playing with Destiny Henderson would be cool, but in the Wnba u never know whose gonna get cut on a year to year basis. I would much rather see her not waste her career in Indiana and comeback for a 5th season, now with NIL it makes it easier too.

Well, let's say she stays (Covid year?) and enters the 2024 draft. Who is to say it's not a situation of "meet the new boss, same as the '23 boss?" Like @socal613ws 13 says, who is to say what will/won't change with these franchises?

If Ms. Boston was to enter the draft in 2023 and get drafted by the Fever, she'd have front-court partners of N'Lyssa Smith and Queen Egbo, who both demonstrated talent their rookie years. All three would benefit from having each other. emily Engstler is tough as nails, Lexie Hull seems to be getting her feet set under her and, yes, there's the familiarity with Henderson.

Also, I'm sure Boston's agent would find her an international team that is willing to pay her a very healthy chunk of change.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You make a good case, @Dillon77 . Don’t forget Emily Engstler, too. Add Boston, you’ve pretty much ticked all the boxes — defense, rebounding, passing, and scoring. All that’s needed is coaching, which is still a question mark after the recent hire.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You make a good case, @Dillon77 . Don’t forget Emily Engstler, too. Add Boston, you’ve pretty much ticked all the boxes — defense, rebounding, passing, and scoring. All that’s needed is coaching, which is still a question mark after the recent hire.
Absolutely! Engstler is the proverbial Swiss Army Knife that can do what needs at any particular moment/game. And Kelsey Mitchell, when minding her parameters, can be very effective when called upon to score...a lot (but mind Kelsey's shots per minute! ;) )

Reaction Score
Well, let's say she stays (Covid year?) and enters the 2024 draft. Who is to say it's not a situation of "meet the new boss, same as the '23 boss?" Like @socal613ws 13 says, who is to say what will/won't change with these franchises?

If Ms. Boston was to enter the draft in 2023 and get drafted by the Fever, she'd have front-court partners of N'Lyssa Smith and Queen Egbo, who both demonstrated talent their rookie years. All three would benefit from having each other. Lexie Hull seems to be getting her feet set under her and, yes, there's the familiarity with Henderson.

Also, I'm sure Boston's agent would find her an international team that is willing to pay her a very healthy chunk of change.
and since she wouldn't come out this year that means Haley Jones goes first ? Talk about reloading quickly

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ESPNw, The Next Confirm Connecticut Sun Hiring Stephanie White as Next Coach

Still need to hire a General Manager.

https://www./wnba/connecticut-sun-set-to-hire-stephanie-white-as-new-head-coach/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Her Hoops Stats with a Mock Draft. No surprises early on, but a number of them as the round goes on. If Charisma Osborne is projected as a combo guard in the pro's, not sure I see her as a #6 pick for the NY Liberty. Abby Myers to Connecticut?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Huge news.

Mike Thibault is retiring from coaching. He will remain the GM. Glad he got his championship in 2019.

Hope he keeps up some of his announcing. Really great listen.

Reaction Score

If Ms. Boston was to enter the draft in 2023 and get drafted by the Fever, she'd have front-court partners of N'Lyssa Smith and Queen Egbo, who both demonstrated talent their rookie years. All three would benefit from having each other. emily Engstler is tough as nails, Lexie Hull seems to be getting her feet set under her and, yes, there's the familiarity with Henderson.

Boston may actually want to play another year, but there is another possible scenario here. If she wants the WNBA but not Indiana, as the clear #1 choice she has leverage, particularly since the NCAA made it so easy to get another year, and with income possibilities from NIL deals.

It is playing hardball, but she can tell Indiana if you don't trade the number 1 pick to a team I like, I go back to South Carolina. True in theory Indiana could get the pick next year too, and even then, Boston could take a big European deal, and say trade my rights and I will come back.

If Indiana doesn't mind Haley Jones or another alternative, they may not care, but they might be wise to explore shopping the pick just to see what it would bring, presumably with a team that would need assurances from Boston before the deal was finalized. Being a better prospect than most number 1 picks, having another year as an option, and NIL deals for income if she stays, gives Boston more negotiating power than any graduating women's basketball player has ever had.

Reaction Score
Boston may actually want to play another year, but there is another possible scenario here. If she wants the WNBA but not Indiana, as the clear #1 choice she has leverage, particularly since the NCAA made it so easy to get another year, and with income possibilities from NIL deals.

It is playing hardball, but she can tell Indiana if you don't trade the number 1 pick to a team I like, I go back to South Carolina. True in theory Indiana could get the pick next year too, and even then, Boston could take a big European deal, and say trade my rights and I will come back.

If Indiana doesn't mind Haley Jones or another alternative, they may not care, but they might be wise to explore shopping the pick just to see what it would bring, presumably with a team that would need assurances from Boston before the deal was finalized. Being a better prospect than most number 1 picks, having another year as an option, and NIL deals for income if she stays, gives Boston more negotiating power than any graduating women's basketball player has ever had.
exactly, idk why ppl think it's so "outrageous" judging by the haha emojis I got. I find it funny ppl say Paige has a good shot to stay a 5th year, but Boston doesn't? What is the difference?

Reaction Score
Even with NIL, I can't see players staying in school for that extra year if they are a Boston or PB type player. Of course it could happen but it would mean turning down playing full time.

College athletes still have to attend classes/do online school work, study, write papers, and often times have the team restrictions and rules. Professional athletes have none of that. Yes the rookie money in the WNBA isn't very good and someone with good NIL income would take a pay cut, but it's likely Boston and PB would get endorsements.

I've been wrong plenty of times but I think this season will be the final time Boston suits up for SC if she's healthy and they either repeat or come very close. PB will be back at least one more year for sure, then it's anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
Sorry for posting again but per ESPN Parker is coming back this season. I wondered if we would see she or DT this year but looks like both will be back.

I know she's not well liked by many on this board but I've always liked Parker's game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Honestly if I'm Boston I'd probably stick around a 5th year than go to Indiana. Indiana has been a hot mess of a franchise for a long time now and is consistently awful despite getting high draft picks. Plus I can't think of a less desirable spot to live in than Indiana.

If she comes back to SC, she has a legitimate shot to win potentially 3 championships and will get more exposure and rake in some nice NIL money. She'll also get another year under Dawn who is one of the best in the country at developing bigs. Also worth noting, she seems to love being in Columbia and being a college athlete. Compare that to the general vibe/demeanor of WNBA players where they often seen unhappy and bitter at the league. Staying an extra year in college offers the best of both worlds with NIL in play and gives a her a great shot to end up at a better franchise when she does enter the draft the following year.

Reaction Score
The problem is that if Boston does not play for Indiana next season, they will pretty much sew up having the best odds to pick first in the 2024. Heck, even with her, that seems more than plausible.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The problem is that if Boston does not play for Indiana next season, they will pretty much sew up having the best odds to pick first in the 2024. Heck, even with her, that seems more than plausible.
True, but it's still less than 50% odds (44.2%) that she gets picked by Indiana next year. If she waits a year and gets picked by Indiana, they'll have a better core then too, with Kelsey Mitchell/Nalyssa Smith/#1 in 2023 all having a year under their belt and they should compete for a playoff spot from day 1.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Ace; I’ve always liked her.
I'll always have a soft spot for her because of her dedication to Canada Basketball throughout her entire career. It's been 20+ years if my math is right.

Her situation is unique because her development was managed differently from what you see in Canada now. When she was in high school, there was an elite training program that was run in Hamilton ON where players identified by Canada basketball attended. This was disbanded in the mid-2000s when a different government was elected in 2004. Personally, I think this decision put Canada back at least 15 years in progress.

She's always represented Canada when asked. She's played overseas in addition to a WNBA schedule since graduating from Notre Dame (save for that one year due to her injury). She's a great leader for the program and continues to be one. For as much as UConn fans may have their druthers about her, you can't say she's not committed to the sport or her teammates.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Achonwa has announced her pregnancy. Not sure how this will affect her status for the 2023 season. Happy for her and her partner.

Great news for Ace!
On cue, Domerduck over at The Bench found an excellent piece on her, primarily focusing on her role as captain of the Canadian National Team and on the Lynx. Article includes numerous quotes from teammates, but what I love are the pics of Ace with her teammates, including Mama Syl, Mama Phee, Bridget Carlton and Kia Nurse. Yes, two of those players were heated rivals of ND but there is a huge amount of respect and admiration and --dare I say it -- affection between all of them.

Reaction Score
Great news for Ace!
On cue, Domerduck over at The Bench found an excellent piece on her, primarily focusing on her role as captain of the Canadian National Team and on the Lynx. Article includes numerous quotes from teammates, but what I love are the pics of Ace with her teammates, including Mama Syl, Mama Phee, Bridget Carlton and Kia Nurse. Yes, two of those players were heated rivals of ND but there is a huge amount of respect and admiration and --dare I say it -- affection between all of them.

I believe she's in Toronto this week along with most of the SWNT for a training camp per Canada Basketball's IG account. Also saw Prosper ;)and Fournier on hand.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I believe she's in Toronto this week along with most of the SWNT for a training camp per Canada Basketball's IG account. Also saw Prosper ;)and Fournier on hand.
Ace also came to St. Louis -- along with buddy, Dev Peters -- to see the ND vs. Cal game. In addition to her dedication to the Canadian National Team(s) and whatever current WNBA team she's on, Achonwa has always -- always -- supported her alma mater. This holds for many of the players: Marina Mabrey and Jackie Young were at Sunday's Ball State game and, of course, South Bend native Skylar Diggins can be found dropping by.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom