WNBA News | The Boneyard

WNBA News

Reaction Score
Unless they also play some games elsewhere as well- say Sacramento they will never get a big enough following in the bay area. Too much else going on.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hmmm

That's...unexpected to say the least. I can't imagine she'd go to Seattle while Bird is still there. Her wife plays alongside her in Chicago where she's played for over a decade, they just won a title together and have a great roster coming back.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
That's...unexpected to say the least. I can't imagine she'd go to Seattle while Bird is still there. Her wife plays alongside her in Chicago where she's played for over a decade, they just won a title together and have a great roster coming back.
With Dolson and DeShields likely gone, if CV and AQ left for Seattle the roster on Chicago is vastly depleted. Who would be the Sky's lead pg? I don't recall who they may have acquired since last season.

Reaction Score
Hmmm

Wow! That is shocking news! Holy smokes. Hopefully something can be worked out and Sloot stays in the Go. Just can't see her going some other team and not starting. Makes no sense.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I very much doubt Stewie is leaving Seattle, at least for this season. I am told she and Marta have a gorgeous home in Seattle. Stewie makes the big $$ in Russia and I would think she would rather spend her summers in Seattle than hot and humid NYC(my old home town)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Looks like she is doing her due diligence and talking to teams that are serious about signing her. I'm not a betting person and I think she resigns with Seattle, however with her Puma endorsement deal, perhaps making sure that all talks are taken seriously.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
With Dolson and DeShields likely gone, if CV and AQ left for Seattle the roster on Chicago is vastly depleted. Who would be the Sky's lead pg? I don't recall who they may have acquired since last season.

I haven't followed closely--what's the deal with Dolson/Deshields leaving?

If the married duo leaves, I guess it leaves Dana Evans or Lexie Brown as PG? Realistically they'd snag someone through a trade or through free agency, as neither Brown/Evans are even safe bets to make a roster this year.

The rest of the roster is extremely barren outside of Parker/Copper and Stevens. The others besides Evans/Brown are Hebard/Ndour-Fall, who both warmed the bench last year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I very much doubt Stewie is leaving Seattle, at least for this season. I am told she and Marta have a gorgeous home in Seattle. Stewie makes the big $$ in Russia and I would think she would rather spend her summers in Seattle than hot and humid NYC(my old home town)
She's from Syracuse so she'd be much closer to family going back to NY. And if she has a nice home in an expensive city like Seattle, there's never been a better time to sell with this current market!

I agree the timing of this would be quite odd if she leaves right after Bird announced her comeback. Seattle has the pieces to make a push for another title if their big 3 (Bird/Stewart/Loyd) can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Mercury are supposedly hiring Stanford great Vanessa Nygaard as the next head coach. It'll be fun to see how that plays out!

Reaction Score
Um ...

Seattle now has a group of inexperienced coaches, time for Stewie to leave and go to New York.
The 2 new coaches they added along with Quinn who hasn't proven she can coach is a recipe for disaster.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe the Liberty is attractive since Liberty and Brooklyn Nets are under the same owner and if I recall, Stewie and Durant are pretty close friends. An the Liberty have talent with Sabrina, Howard etc, Anyway, just dreaming.,

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe Stewie figures she can't win a Championship w/out Howard having her back...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Mercury are supposedly hiring Stanford great Vanessa Nygaard as the next head coach. It'll be fun to see how that plays out!
That seems like an underwhelming hire. Brondello took a lot of heat over the years for underachieving with her talent level. DT doesn't have many years left but Griner and Diggins-Smith are very much in their prime and Turner is a good young talent. I would think the Mercury would have hired a proven coach who could get those stars one more title. Of course I could be wrong and she will be great.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Some news from The Next's Em Adler, who phrases her news with, hmm, a bit of an edge.

• Tiffany Hayes: Is finalizing a deal to re-sign with Atlanta, per Rachel Galligan. The nine-year veteran has been with the Dream since being drafted in 2012, and ranks second (behind Angel McCoughtry) in nearly every Atlanta career leaderboard. Though she can slide to the two-spot in some lineups, Hayes’ status as a three most of the time should slightly dampen the team’s interest in some of the other high-profile wings on the market.
  • Leilani Mitchell: Apparently pregnant? She announced that she and her wife Mikaela Dombkins were expecting a second child on Instagram four weeks ago, and Mitchell's WNBL team in Australia, the UC Capitals, now lists her as "out for the rest of the season expecting her second child." The couple had a son in 2018, which Dombkins carried, a thing I’m only noting because there’s so little to go off of here. The baby is due in June, which would rule Mitchell out for most of the WNBA season if she’s carrying. The free agent point guard market was already incredibly shallow, and if she’s out, Washington is also entering the fray. That pretty much guarantees Odyssey Sims and Rachel Banham good roles, and we might see a lot of minutes from a rookie class that is strong in the backcourt.
  • Kiah Stokes: Is finalizing a deal to sign with Atlanta, per Winsidr’s Aryeh Schwartz, a move that is really hard to scrutinize. Stokes has been the lowest-usage player in the W in recent years, an undersized center limited to drop coverage and rebounding; anything more you ask of her ends disastrously. The Dream had a better undersized defense-first center in Elizabeth Williams, who’s now an unrestricted free agent, and a hyperactive switch-everything small-ball five in Monique Billings, a restricted free agent — who Seattle and Indiana are pursuing, per Khristina Williams of Girls Talk Sports TV. Stokes doesn’t fit with a rebuilding timeline in any way — she got cut from a young, mediocre Liberty team in June — and can’t start on a contender. This is just weird.

Reaction Score
Let's hope there aren't any food trucks in Uncasville. :rolleyes:
Dying Laughing Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Which teammate will she get in a fight with in Connecticut?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom