WNBA MVP | The Boneyard

WNBA MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who would you predict for WNBA MVP this season?

My short list to watch:
Maya Moore
Diana Taurasi
Tamika Catchings
Seimone Augustus
Cappie Pondexter
Candace Parker
Brittany Griner
Tina Charles
Angel McCoughtry
Eppiphany Prince
Sylvia Fowles

I think this is Maya Moore's year, especially after watching her grow last season and play out of her mind in China.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Prince is going to most likely miss some of the season due to commitments to the Russian NT. So I'd actually replace her with EDD. :p Since it looks like she'll have to score more with Prince gone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the short list will be Parker, Moore, Charles, Taurasi, Catchings, Griner, Augustus, Pondexter and Fowles...okay, not exactly a very short list but I think that Pondexter and Parker will be the favorites, both will be the star player on teams that should finish top 2 or 3 in their conference. Augustus and Moore might overshadow one another a bit, Charles is great but I don't think Connecticut will be a top notch team this year, Chicago always struggles so I don't see Fowles winning, and Catchings is always steady/very good but I'd be surprised if she takes home the MVP this year. Oh--Taurasi and Griner....I think both are solid candidates assuming that Phoenix is a dominant team and Griner transitions smoothly to the pros. Griner is slender but very strong, and will not be facing the plethora of double/triple teams she faced at Baylor. I think she's capable of having a rookie season similar to Parker's in 2008 where she dominates from day 1. If she does dominate from the get go, then she'll definitely be a favorite. If Taurasi shoots a high enough percentage and has strong all around stats, she'll definitely be on the short list too. So my short short list is Parker, Pondexter, Taurasi and Griner.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
You can take Griner off the list...she will not be MVP of the WNBA this year. EDD will have a great WNBA career but she will not win the MVP in her first year. Epiphany Prince due to her overseas commitments will not win it either...so it comes down to

Maya Moore
Diana Taurasi
Tamika Catchings
Seimone Augustus
Cappie Pondexter
Candace Parker
Tina Charles

I think Angel and Sylvia are great players but I don't see them winning the MVP. Additionally, while I think that Maya Moore could very well have a break-out year given her now veteran status and her play in the China leagues but with another super star on her team in the person of Seimone Augustus there may not be enough basketballs to go around on that Lynx team and both of them may in fact make it difficult for the other to win the MVP. My guess is it will come down to Candace Parker, Maya Moore and DT. The reason I feel that DT will have a good shot at it this year...is that she finally has a center to plog up the middle to block and alter shots and to rebound and clean up misses, I also believe that Penny Taylor is back, Lindsey Whalen is one of the best point guards in the league...DT will be free to create and shoot. LA is loaded but Candace will be the go to player. Her three point shot has greatly improved and I believe that Candace can be as good as she wants to be.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The reason I feel that DT will have a good shot at it this year...is that she finally has a center to plog up the middle to block and alter shots and to rebound and clean up misses, I also believe that Penny Taylor is back, Lindsey Whalen is one of the best point guards in the league...DT will be free to create and shoot.

That would be great, if Whalen were on Phoenix. Since she is on Minnesota's roster...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Ooops you're right cam...I was zoning out typing my bad... Well, since I am on the subject who will be Phoenix's starting point guard?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Ooops your right cam...I was zoning out typing my bad... Well, since I am on the subject who will be Phoenix's starting point guard?

Unfortunately, it is likely to be Samantha Prahalis.

Phoenix is loaded at the other positions. DT plays much better in the WNBA off the ball. I would almost rather risk playing DT and Penny in the backcourt (both are very good ballhandlers and really good passers) than throw Prahalis out there. Sure, other players will draw attention, leaving Samantha open. But she cannot run a pick-and-roll, she is slow laterally and has difficulty stopping defenders off the dribble, and she is not a great shooter when left open.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow! That's unfortunate...always saw Prahalis at Ohio State as over-rated...too emotional and out of control. Any chance of a trade for another guard?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Wow! That's unfortunate...always saw Prahalis at Ohio State as over-rated...too emotional and out of control. Any chance of a trade for another guard?

Unlikely. Don't have assets to trade, as the team wants to keep Bonner/DT/Taylor/Dupree/Griner. Houston does not have much trade value...certainly not for a starting caliber point guard. And good point guards are at a premium.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
college Sam and pro Sam are 2 different things... she'd be passing to players like DT not some 82nd ranked frosh on OSU

emotional & out of control? sort of like DT at times... some of us call it passion ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
college Sam and pro Sam are 2 different things... she'd be passing to players like DT not some 82nd ranked frosh on OSU

emotional & out of control? sort of like DT at times... some of us call it passion ;)

She was passing to Jantel Lavender and Tayler Hill at OSU.

Taurasi is physically gifted. She has the most innate basketball IQ I have seen in a women's player, in terms of seeing the game two or three plays before developing. She is also big for her position and incredibly strong (and fitter than she ever was). She also has a ridiculously quick release, keeping the ball at its highest point.

Prahalis is small for her position, does not have great lateral quickness, does not have a strong enough handle to be the starting PG on a playoff team that has championship aspirations, and has a low release point. And she is not very accurate when left open.

Taurasi has passion for the game. She got frustrated with the officials (completely understandable) and a few teammate (who did not share her passion for the game and did not match her desire to win). Prahalis is emotional and out of control because she is frustrated that players are better than she is. Big difference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think if DT doesn't win it's going to be because Griner had so many dunks she couldn't be denied.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Taurasi is physically gifted. She has the most innate basketball IQ I have seen in a women's player, in terms of seeing the game two or three plays before developing. She is also big for her position and incredibly strong (and fitter than she ever was). She also has a ridiculously quick release, keeping the ball at its highest point.

Prahalis is small for her position, does not have great lateral quickness, does not have a strong enough handle to be the starting PG on a playoff team that has championship aspirations, and has a low release point. And she is not very accurate when left open.

Taurasi has passion for the game. She got frustrated with the officials (completely understandable) and a few teammate (who did not share her passion for the game and did not match her desire to win). Prahalis is emotional and out of control because she is frustrated that players are better than she is. Big difference.

What he said... Don't get your point DaddyChoc especially comparing DT with Sam... They have never been in the same league with regards to ability, Basketball IQ, effect on the game and players around them...like comparing apples and oranges.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Tulsa is able to make the playoffs, wouldn't be surprised to see Skylar win Rookie of the Year and get votes for MVP. Skylar owns Social Media and ZRoc will ensure she gets the media attention. Griner will get her media attention when she Dunks and will also have to share attention with DT.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the Mercury sees something in Sammy P

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that's sad if Sammy P is the only option

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

So you're saying Sammy P isn't changing the game?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Sammy's emotions aren't passion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think those lists are reasonable. The top 8-10 are pretty easy, if they are healthy and their teams succeed. Parker should be a candidate, but I think Diana wins this year. Maya will be top 5.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What he said... Don't get your point DaddyChoc especially comparing DT with Sam... They have never been in the same league with regards to ability, Basketball IQ, effect on the game and players around them...like comparing apples and oranges.
I was talking about emotions and passion, nothing about basketball skill, IQ etc... thats my point. its passion for some and for others its attitude/cancer etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom