WNBA mock draft 2025: Which team will pick Paige Bueckers? | The Boneyard

WNBA mock draft 2025: Which team will pick Paige Bueckers?

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark was the wire-to-wire top pick in ESPN's 2024 WNBA mock draft. UConn's Paige Bueckers might be in the same position for 2025.

For ESPN's initial WNBA mock draft for 2025, the order of picks has not been established. The lottery teams in order of odds for the No. 1 pick are: the Los Angeles Sparks, Dallas Wings, Chicago Sky and Washington Mystics. Until the draft lottery is held -- likely in December -- to set the official order, we will list them in this order.

Keep in mind that Dallas owns a pick swap with Chicago via the 2023 Marina Mabrey trade. So if the Sky place higher than the Wings in the lottery, they will switch spots.

Also, the Golden State Valkyries will join the league in 2025 as its 13th team. The WNBA has not announced details of the expansion draft or where the Valkyries will be slotted in the regular draft, which is traditionally in April.

Also, 4. Washington Mystics: Azzi Fudd

Reaction Score
Interesting to look at pictures of the top draft choices from past years as they come out of college and those coming out this coming year. That extra Covid year gave players like Paige the ability to build pro-quality muscles. While Paige was always going to be a successful pro, her improved strength will help accelerate her transition.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dallas technically has the top odds to land Paige due to a pick swap. Dallas has a 45.4% chance of landing #1 overall, LA 44.2%. Washington's the outlier with a 10.4% chance of landing #1.

I don't see Paige not going #1 unless she gets injured again. Aside from Clark and debatably Sabrina Ionescu, IMO she's the best guard prospect entering the WNBA since Taurasi in 2004.

After Paige there really aren't any sure fire stars, though there are a number of talented players who could blossom in the pros. It's definitely a weaker draft than 2024 but I think it's still a solid one. There are also numerous top juniors that will be draft eligible and would be potential lottery picks if they declare (Lauren Betts, Flaujae Johnson and Ashlyn Wakins)

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, I assume Paige will be in LA. I'm in denial there is any chance that she could go to Dallas.

I really was hoping that Golden State would get the first pick but alas that won't happen..

Reaction Score
they did announce the valkyries expansion draft yesterday actually! it's on December 6th and each team can "protect" 6 of their players. But the valkyries get to choose 1 non-protected player from each team.

Reaction Score
they did announce the valkyries expansion draft yesterday actually! it's on December 6th and each team can "protect" 6 of their players. But the valkyries get to choose 1 non-protected player from each team.
I don't see the Valkyries being given a lottery pick, since it would really piss off the lottery teams, so unless there is a big upset, Paige is looking at LA or Dallas. I presume LA would be a plus for her, since it is a big media market, has talented bigs (Brink) and an obvious need in the backcourt.

Dallas has never drawn well, maybe they would with her, but the fit with Arike could be problematic, so if I were Paige, I would be disappointed if Dallas got the first pick. regardless she will be fine wherever.

The expansion draft could impact the regular draft in a pretty significant way. Most teams may keep their stars, but will probably lose a key rotation player, making filling that hole a more pressing need in the draft. Because of the salary cap, the tail end of most rosters has to be rookie contracts or minimum salaries because they want to spend their cap space on the top 8 or so.

Reaction Score
The expansion draft could impact the regular draft in a pretty significant way. Most teams may keep their stars, but will probably lose a key rotation player, making filling that hole a more pressing need in the draft. Because of the salary cap, the tail end of most rosters has to be rookie contracts or minimum salaries because they want to spend their cap space on the top 8 or so.
With one new team in 2025 and an additional 2 teams announced for 2026 (with rumors of a third), I expect a lot of roster turmoil amongst the veterans, and most of the top level college players to head for the W as soon as they are eligible for the draft.

Reaction Score
Dallas technically has the top odds to land Paige due to a pick swap. Dallas has a 45.4% chance of landing #1 overall, LA 44.2%. Washington's the outlier with a 10.4% chance of landing #1.

I don't see Paige not going #1 unless she gets injured again. Aside from Clark and debatably Sabrina Ionescu, IMO she's the best guard prospect entering the WNBA since Taurasi in 2004.

After Paige there really aren't any sure fire stars, though there are a number of talented players who could blossom in the pros. It's definitely a weaker draft than 2024 but I think it's still a solid one. There are also numerous top juniors that will be draft eligible and would be potential lottery picks if they declare (Lauren Betts, Flaujae Johnson and Ashlyn Wakins)
Lauren Betts needs more development. She's on a team that doesn't communicate their passes and she bumbles it 9/10 times due to their lack of communication or chemistry. Needs more offensive help to translate to the pros, and sadly, I don't think UCLA is going to provide it for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would prefer Dallas over LA for Paige. And I still like Washington as an option. Only a 10% chance of that though.

LA just had a tumultuous season. Bad body language. Fired the coach. Dallas had higher goals and aspirations for the season. And injuries sort of derailed them. But they did a better job keeping their frustrations in house.

I know people don’t like the Arike/Paige combo. But I am willing to trade Arike and build around Paige if I am Dallas.

Reaction Score
And injuries sort of derailed them. But they did a better job keeping their frustrations in house.
They got those injured people back (including Sabally) and still went 3-12 after the Olympic break. I don't really know if the injuries were the main issue rather than just the coaching.

Reaction Score
I would prefer Dallas over LA for Paige. And I still like Washington as an option. Only a 10% chance of that though.

LA just had a tumultuous season. Bad body language. Fired the coach. Dallas had higher goals and aspirations for the season. And injuries sort of derailed them. But they did a better job keeping their frustrations in house.

I know people don’t like the Arike/Paige combo. But I am willing to trade Arike and build around Paige if I am Dallas.

People don't like Uconn players going to Dallas period. It's like they get lost on the bench

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only advantage that Paige would have with Dallas is that Texas doesn't have an income tax. So all of the money that she would make is tax free compared to what she would pay in LA, Chicago or DC. Just like the $100,000 that each Aces player signed yesterday with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, that money is tax free.

Reaction Score
People don't like Uconn players going to Dallas period. It's like they get lost on the bench
I agree. I just don't think that offense supports UConn players. For me, Dallas runs an old style Kim Mulkey offense that has hard defined front and back court roles, not a lot of movement, with lots of isolation plays. It's not how UConn players are taught.

To be successful, UConn players need a motion type offense like the elite teams. As examples, offenses like Dallas, Indiana, and Chicago just don't match well with UConn players. I give Washington and LA a pass this year due to all the injuries that left them unable to execute their intentions fully.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
LA would be the perfect location for Paige. They have young talent like Camerin Brink from Stanford and Rekea Jackson from Tennessee. That would be the perfect location as the top stars of LA would flock to see their new sensation in Paige. She also would be playing for a brand new coach who I'm sure would really appreciate these young players as the core of their new team. In Dallas she would die if she had to play with Arike.

Reaction Score
The draft doesn't arouse my curiousity. What I think abouit is what kind of reception she'll get in the WNBA, a question I would have never asked before this summer.
I think she’ll get the typical hard foul welcome to the big leagues type of hazing without there being any extra to it. I think she has better leadership qualities than most people and is a better communicator than most; all of which paves a smoother first year than say another. IMO.

Reaction Score
Paige to LA would be a lot of star power with her and Brink, and Jackson another great young player. Hopefully Brink’s recovery is going well. That would certainly be preferable to Paige going to Dallas

As much as I like Azzi I think her getting drafted 4th is very optimistic at this point in time, although it does kind of highlight the silliness of doing a mock draft when there’s a whole NCAA season between now and the draft.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With a couple of exceptions the coaching in the W is a dumpster fire. With a few exceptions the players are on the same level. Finding a good coach is tough, because it is the W.

Just found this and maybe you'll like it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Where ever Paige ends up, she will be there for three years unless the team cuts her. And the team has the option for a 4th year. LA or Dallas for three years - YIKES.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark was the wire-to-wire top pick in ESPN's 2024 WNBA mock draft. UConn's Paige Bueckers might be in the same position for 2025.

For ESPN's initial WNBA mock draft for 2025, the order of picks has not been established. The lottery teams in order of odds for the No. 1 pick are: the Los Angeles Sparks, Dallas Wings, Chicago Sky and Washington Mystics. Until the draft lottery is held -- likely in December -- to set the official order, we will list them in this order.

Keep in mind that Dallas owns a pick swap with Chicago via the 2023 Marina Mabrey trade. So if the Sky place higher than the Wings in the lottery, they will switch spots.

Also, the Golden State Valkyries will join the league in 2025 as its 13th team. The WNBA has not announced details of the expansion draft or where the Valkyries will be slotted in the regular draft, which is traditionally in April.

Also, 4. Washington Mystics: Azzi Fudd

Interesting to look at pictures of the top draft choices from past years as they come out of college and those coming out this coming year. That extra Covid year gave players like Paige the ability to build pro-quality muscles. While Paige was always going to be a successful pro, her improved strength will help accelerate her transition.
The league wants Paige in L A. She brings star power and attention wherever she goes.
Morrow to Chicago and Fudd to D.C. would make their parents happy. I've seen some highlights of the French girl. At 19, and her size I think some team takes her earlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom