Wnba lottery draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wnba lottery draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Take Sims and work a trade, possibly.

Speaking of a trade, what about this: The Sun trade their #1 overall pick to Tulsa for the Tulsa pick (#2 overall) plus Skylar Diggins. The Sun might even throw Renee into that trade. Presumably the Shock would take Chiney with their #1 overall pick, and the Sun could take Alyssa Thomas with the second pick -- otherwise the Sun certainly take Chiney with the second pick. They would then get both a point guard and a power forward out of this year's draft, both young and with major upside. The Shock would still have Goodrich as their point guard.

I do think Odyssey Sims probably has a higher potential in the WNBA than Skylar, but the difference is not great enough to pass on the trade described above.

If the Sun don't trade their pick, they should use it for Chiney rather than Sims or Thomas.

Reaction Score
There is a big transition from high school to college and also from college to the pro's. What a player does at one level doesn't necessarily translate to the next. A good athletic player is still a good athletic player but numbers are not always a good indicator to a relative success at the next level. I think a players love for the game desire to play is often not even factored into the equation. For some players desire fuels their game and if that has left them than their game surely suffers. As people mature their interests change. With the added change of circumstance the influence of other things might also become a distraction.

I think the relative underachievement of Skylar and to a lesser degree Griner might give some teams pause as to the value of college being an unquestionable indicator of a players success at the next level. The Pro's offer a different environment ( less restrictions and more freedom) and some players might not flourish as well there. That is more evident in the sector of professional football and basketball, but it does not mean it cant have a similar effect in the WNBA.

I recently read an article about variable factors that are used in prognosticating a players success at the next level. The indicators are different for each projected position. For example high volume scoring would be factored by the number of shots taken, shooting percentage, and also considered would be if those shots would be available at that next level. As stated different positions require and would thus emphasize different indicators. While Sims high scoring average would be a positive to a shooting guard, but it might actually be a detrimental factor for her as a projected point guard. How many teams and how much of this type of information is actually used is still a question.

Reaction Score
Speaking of a trade, what about this: The Sun trade their #1 overall pick to Tulsa for the Tulsa pick (#2 overall) plus Skylar Diggins. The Sun might even throw Renee into that trade. Presumably the Shock would take Chiney with their #1 overall pick, and the Sun could take Alyssa Thomas with the second pick -- otherwise the Sun certainly take Chiney with the second pick. They would then get both a point guard and a power forward out of this year's draft, both young and with major upside. The Shock would still have Goodrich as their point guard.

I do think Odyssey Sims probably has a higher potential in the WNBA than Skylar, but the difference is not great enough to pass on the trade described above.

If the Sun don't trade their pick, they should use it for Chiney rather than Sims or Thomas.

That would probably work out better for Skylar. She would be closer to the NYC market and get a lot more media coverage (and be closer to ESPN HQ).

I doubt that'll happen cause Skylar has too much Star Power and the Shock need all they can get for tv coverage purposes. She may have had a slow start but people will like to watch her. She has far more charisma than Simms ever will. She just needs better players to work with and a better coach. Last season they were just standing around watching Cambage get flustered over and over most of the time.

Reaction Score
There is a big transition from high school to college and also from college to the pro's. What a player does at one level doesn't necessarily translate to the next. A good athletic player is still a good athletic player but numbers are not always a good indicator to a relative success at the next level. I think a players love for the game desire to play is often not even factored into the equation. For some players desire fuels their game and if that has left them than their game surely suffers. As people mature their interests change. With the added change of circumstance the influence of other things might also become a distraction.

I think the relative underachievement of Skylar and to a lesser degree Griner might give some teams pause as to the value of college being an unquestionable indicator of a players success at the next level. The Pro's offer a different environment ( less restrictions and more freedom) and some players might not flourish as well there. That is more evident in the sector of professional football and basketball, but it does not mean it cant have a similar effect in the WNBA.

I recently read an article about variable factors that are used in prognosticating a players success at the next level. The indicators are different for each projected position. For example high volume scoring would be factored by the number of shots taken, shooting percentage, and also considered would be if those shots would be available at that next level. As stated different positions require and would thus emphasize different indicators. While Sims high scoring average would be a positive to a shooting guard, but it might actually be a detrimental factor for her as a projected point guard. How many teams and how much of this type of information is actually used is still a question.

Griner could be just as dominant in the WNBA as she was in college and even more so with the right coach/system. She's 6' 8" and athletic as heck for heaven's sakes! She might need to alter her game a little so she won't get injured like last season.

Reaction Score
Griner could be just as dominant in the WNBA as she was in college and even more so with the right coach/system. She's 6' 8" and athletic as heck for heaven's sakes! She might need to alter her game a little so she won't get injured like last season.
Would not disagree with you, she can surely turn it around. I just meant that she did not turn out to be the dominating player in her first year that some had expected her to be. Most had her as the no-brainer number one. In a re-draft to day EDD probably would go one and Griner two, but Skylar definately not at three.

HGN

Reaction Score
I still would go with Chiney as top pick if I am Sun............Hard to get that type size and competitiveness. And stick with Renee at PG. Any frontline with Tina and Chiney included is going to be formidable.

The Sun has a golden chance to get better quick with the top pick , I just hope they don't flame out and blow it.

Reaction Score
Would not disagree with you, she can surely turn it around. I just meant that she did not turn out to be the dominating player in her first year that some had expected her to be. Most had her as the no-brainer number one. In a re-draft to day EDD probably would go one and Griner two, but Skylar definately not at three.

Phoenix thought about changing the team to fit Griner but backed out in the middle of the season. She tries to dribble too much in the middle and doesn't take advantage of her size.
I'd say she still would be number one because of her potential and she is a BIG with rare talent. EDD would still be second and Skylar would still be 3 cause of her Star Power and because she is a winner like Maya.
Next season should be pretty awesome.
Can:
Phoenix's new coach find a way to best take advantage of Griner?
Tulsa get a good coach for their personnel?
Chicago improve their defense?

Plus all the new girls coming in. They may need to add a couple of teams soon.

Reaction Score
I still would go with Chiney as top pick if I am Sun............Hard to get that type size and competitiveness. And stick with Renee at PG. Any frontline with Tina and Chiney included is going to be formidable.

The Sun has a golden chance to get better quick with the top pick , I just hope they don't flame out and blow it.

I think Dolson is just as good as Chiney but in a slightly different way. I'd flip a coin if I were choosing between them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
is Diggins overseas right now?

No, but she sure has been car shopping !!!!!

:)

cl63 skydigg.jpg

2013 Mercedes AMG CLS 63

Reaction Score

Who would go at three? Kelsey Bone? Tayler Hill? They had plenty of problems themselves.

Reaction Score
Phoenix thought about changing the team to fit Griner but backed out in the middle of the season. She tries to dribble too much in the middle and doesn't take advantage of her size.
I'd say she still would be number one because of her potential and she is a BIG with rare talent. EDD would still be second and Skylar would still be 3 cause of her Star Power and because she is a winner like Maya.
Next season should be pretty awesome.
Can:
Phoenix's new coach find a way to best take advantage of Griner?
Tulsa get a good coach for their personnel?
Chicago improve their defense?

Plus all the new girls coming in. They may need to add a couple of teams soon.

Reaction Score
Please ,Skylar is not close to being another Maya.How many championships have Skylar won?Skylar is no Sims.Good looks (media darling),poor disposition and need a lot of work on her Pro game.

Reaction Score

If Tulsa was going to trade Diggins, Klop would still be the coach...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Rebecca tweeted earlier today, not taking into consideration team needs her draft order would be Chiney, McBride, Thomas and then Sims.

Reaction Score
At least, on the first count, I think the comparison does fall apart. Maya has won titles in college, the pros, and the Olympics. Skylar, I think, is o-fer.

I have to stick up for Skylar.

Who won in the 2011 Final Four?

Reaction Score
Rebecca tweeted earlier today, not taking into consideration team needs her draft order would be Chiney, McBride, Thomas and then Sims.

I don't know enough about the Conn. Sun but the Shock should take Thomas.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That seems odd to me. I'm sure she has her reasons, and McBride is a really solid player who can do a lot of things, but PG's the caliber of Simms do not grow on trees. I'd be surprised if Simms goes lower than 2.

Reaction Score
That seems odd to me. I'm sure she has her reasons, and McBride is a really solid player who can do a lot of things, but PG's the caliber of Simms do not grow on trees. I'd be surprised if Simms goes lower than 2.

Maybe for trade purposes but Tulsa is set at the guard position.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe for trade purposes but Tulsa is set at the guard position.
Perhaps - you may be right, but perhaps not. Having Simms and Diggins in the back court would be terrific for them. Teams aren't necessarily drafting for "right now", but for the future as well.

But then again, they have Wiggins, Goodrich, Williams and Hodges as well. Maybe McBride would be a better immediate fit for them. Unless they wanted to trade Hodges and Wiggins to land a quality wing (and they still have Powell). Not sure why Tulsa isn't better, actually.

Seems to me that they need more forward/center type players. One never knows if Cambage will be back every year (maybe they know more than we do), and that leaves them with some forwards, but no real centers (is Courtney Paris still there?)...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Please ,Skylar is not close to being another Maya.How many championships have Skylar won?Skylar is no Sims.Good looks (media darling),poor disposition and need a lot of work on her Pro game.
Will E Gold: Sorry. Wrong on all counts.
All counts??? So Diggins is NOT good looking? She IS close to being another Moore, championships wise?
Let's see
Moore - 2 NCAA Championships, 2 WNBA Championships, EuroLeague Championship, WCBA Championship, Olympic Gold Medal
Diggins - None of the above.

I have to stick up for Skylar.

Who won in the 2011 Final Four?
Not Diggins. (Texas A&M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads