WNBA is Nashville? | The Boneyard

WNBA is Nashville?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Carolina BBQ is heavenly, but go to Peg Leg Porker and then we can talk.

How does it compare to Memphis BBQ.? Cause i got some stories to tell about Memfis restaurants :cool:
Carolina BBQ is solid. I am leaning towards that Kansas City BBQ style.

I am ashamed to say, but ive never been down east to explore Eastern NC BBQ..... But imma have to rectify that this year... Depending on how this checkup goes.

Ive heard great things about KC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How does it compare to Memphis BBQ.? Cause i got some stories to tell about Memfis restaurants :cool:

I am ashamed to say, but ive never been down east to explore Eastern NC BBQ..... But imma have to rectify that this year... Depending on how this checkup goes.

We stopped in KC on our recent vacation (in fact we were there during the NFL Draft and did the fan zone thing the afternoon before the draft started). Part of the reason was some KC BBQ, my wife found a highly recommended small local chain, we went to the original, line out the door, opted for take-out due to faster moving line - and boy were those ribs and the sides delish. I tasted the sauce on a small order of pulled pork, but didn't have enough to form an opinion.

I like Dry Rub which my wife says is a Memphis style but haven't had in a while.

Reaction Score
We stopped in KC on our recent vacation (in fact we were there during the NFL Draft and did the fan zone thing the afternoon before the draft started). Part of the reason was some KC BBQ, my wife found a highly recommended small local chain, we went to the original, line out the door, opted for take-out due to faster moving line - and boy were those ribs and the sides delish. I tasted the sauce on a small order of pulled pork, but didn't have enough to form an opinion.

I like Dry Rub which my wife says is a Memphis style but haven't had in a while.

Yeah. Memphis ain't no joke either, especially when you go to one of those off the road places. There are some great BBQ places across America.

Reaction Score
Carolina BBQ is solid. I am leaning towards that Kansas City BBQ style.
Memphis, eastern Arkansas - hands down. Dry rub made famous by the Rondevous in Memphis - which has the worst barbecue in the mid south. That said, it's still not bad. But dry rub isn't typical for Memphis and the mid south. Any little local Cafe in eastern Arkansas has better barbecue than the Rondevous. It's a tourist place.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Two thoughts here..........

If the league is considering expansion in 2025, that would suggest that it's solvent. Last I heard, some teams were still losing money.
Admittedly, I don't know the state of the WNBA with respect to its overall financial health. I hope it is in the black and growing healthier every day. THAT would permit/support expansion.

2. Before they expand, one would think they address a more pressing issue. That being team travel........charter vs. commercial.
Because of the recent incident with a provocateur in the Dallas airport directing barbs at the Dallas Wings Brittney Griner, the league announced that changes will be made to protect its players and to ensure incidents of this nature don't happen again. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

WNBA expansion is coming, but when and where?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think Nashville is a great idea for a WNBA franchise. Good sports city and two hours from Knoxville.

Ringing in on barbecue: If anyone has a really good authentic recipe for North Carolina vinegar-based sauce, please post it. A friend years ago made the best wings I've had. He was from Danville, VA, but his mother was from NC and he learned it from her.

I was out in Missouri for a week some time ago and tried KC-style a couple of times and was underwhelmed. It wasn't a statistical sample, but these were places my hosts picked out. Not a statistical sample, so not making any judgments.

I haven't been to Memphis, but have made Memphis-style BBQ sauce, which I absolutely love. Wife isn't crazy about it, unfortunately.

Reaction Score

It's Memphis dry rub style. They have Memphis Sushi on the menu. I like it better than the Memphis BBQ restaurants that I've tried though.

Reaction Score
I think Nashville is a great idea for a WNBA franchise. Good sports city and two hours from Knoxville.

Ringing in on barbecue: If anyone has a really good authentic recipe for North Carolina vinegar-based sauce, please post it. A friend years ago made the best wings I've had. He was from Danville, VA, but his mother was from NC and he learned it from her.

I was out in Missouri for a week some time ago and tried KC-style a couple of times and was underwhelmed. It wasn't a statistical sample, but these were places my hosts picked out. Not a statistical sample, so not making any judgments.

I haven't been to Memphis, but have made Memphis-style BBQ sauce, which I absolutely love. Wife isn't crazy about it, unfortunately.

This is obviously not from grandma on a scribbled, ripped old sheet of paper, but I pretty much followed this recipe for a get together during last year's football season and didn't have any complaints.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Correction: Brittany Griner plays for the Phoenix Mercury, not the Dallas Wings. Duh. :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Memphis, eastern Arkansas - hands down. Dry rub made famous by the Rondevous in Memphis - which has the worst barbecue in the mid south. That said, it's still not bad. But dry rub isn't typical for Memphis and the mid south. Any little local Cafe in eastern Arkansas has better barbecue than the Rondevous. It's a tourist place.

I've been to Corkys, Central, Interstate, A&R, and Colettas for the BBQ pizza. I had the dry rub at Corkys, it was good. I do prefer ribs with some sauce.

I tell people if you want to put on a few pounds quickly, just spend a few days in Memphis. I could never live there though, id be the size of a Toyota corolla after about a year :oops:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Two thoughts here..........

If the league is considering expansion in 2025, that would suggest that it's solvent. Last I heard, some teams were still losing money.
Admittedly, I don't know the state of the WNBA with respect to its overall financial health. I hope it is in the black and growing healthier every day. THAT would permit/support expansion.

2. Before they expand, one would think they address a more pressing issue. That being team travel........charter vs. commercial.
Because of the recent incident with a provocateur in the Dallas airport directing barbs at the Dallas Wings Brittney Griner, the league announced that changes will be made to protect its players and to ensure incidents of this nature don't happen again. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

WNBA expansion is coming, but when and where?

Look, the WNBA does have some issues, but the biggest issue is there are too many really good college basketball players that can't get a job. The travel issues and others can wait. If some cities and potential owners want to put up the money for a franchise, what's the problem? The league will do their due diligence in investigating the owners group , the facilities, and the market. To me, expantion is the #1 priority to advance the league and provide employment for the many really good players to find a home. Its a shame when we follow and root for our favorite players in college, and then they fall off the map because of nowhere to play. More and more people are watching the league, and more and more people will become fans just by having a team within their geographic area that they can idenify with. Looking back, I was so ecstatic when the Orlando franchise moved to Connecticut. The Sun have fans throughout New England, and I am thrilled to watch in person players that I have followed at UConn, and at the same time, getting to root for players that were once "enemies" by our college team. Expansion, the #1 priority of the WNBA, no question.

Reaction Score
Look, the WNBA does have some issues, but the biggest issue is there are too many really good college basketball players that can't get a job. The travel issues and others can wait. If some cities and potential owners want to put up the money for a franchise, what's the problem? The league will do their due diligence in investigating the owners group , the facilities, and the market. To me, expantion is the #1 priority to advance the league and provide employment for the many really good players to find a home. Its a shame when we follow and root for our favorite players in college, and then they fall off the map because of nowhere to play. More and more people are watching the league, and more and more people will become fans just by having a team within their geographic area that they can idenify with. Looking back, I was so ecstatic when the Orlando franchise moved to Connecticut. The Sun have fans throughout New England, and I am thrilled to watch in person players that I have followed at UConn, and at the same time, getting to root for players that were once "enemies" by our college team. Expansion, the #1 priority of the WNBA, no question.
The problem is finding owners like Las Vegas and New York have.
Owners willing to spend the money now to have the best players.
Also willing to see that the players are treated well on and off the court.
They are in it for the long haul, and right now not all the owners have the money to do this.
They need to get all the teams up to speed with their ownership.

Reaction Score
Greenville would probably support a WNBA team better than many larger cities. IDK that outsiders realize how much Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks have done to make women's basketball popular in the state.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Greenville would probably support a WNBA team better than many larger cities. IDK that outsiders realize how much Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks have done to make women's basketball popular in the state.

Greenville, SC is actually a very intriguing suggestion.

First, South Carolina does not have professional sports teams (in terms of major pro teams sports).

Interest and infrastructure have been mention as two of the main reasons for the state's lack of pro sports (plus competition from the existence of major universities with huge fan bases in football, men's basketball, etc.; WBB for SC, but not for Clemson).

Yet for the past 25 years, the Bon Secours Wellness Arena (the home of multiple minor league and semi-professional teams) in Downtown Greenville has held some major sporting events (e.g., SEC Women's Basketball Tournament, 2017 Men's NCAA Tournament first and second rounds, Clemson men's basketball, etc.) -- and the capacity for basketball is 15,000.

In other words, Greenville has the infrastructure. And if Greenville can secure a strong season ticket holder base, the lack of professional sports in the state and the absence of college sports played in the summer could help attendance, as there is less competition (not to mention something to do for parents and kids during the summer months).

Second, is two hours away from Atlanta, Charlotte, and Columbia -- and approximately three hours away from Knoxville. It is centralized and provides for an easy drive for fans to attend games from other cities.

Again, I think @JstVisiting 's suggestion of Greenville for a WNBA franchise is very, very intriguing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Greenville, SC is actually a very intriguing suggestion.

First, South Carolina does not have professional sports teams (in terms of major pro teams sports).

Interest and infrastructure have been mention as two of the main reasons for the state's lack of pro sports (plus competition from the existence of major universities with huge fan bases in football, men's basketball, etc.; WBB for SC, but not for Clemson).

Yet for the past 25 years, the Bon Secours Wellness Arena (the home of multiple minor league and semi-professional teams) in Downtown Greenville has held some major sporting events (e.g., SEC Women's Basketball Tournament, 2017 Men's NCAA Tournament first and second rounds, Clemson men's basketball, etc.) -- and the capacity for basketball is 15,000.

In other words, Greenville has the infrastructure. And if Greenville can secure a strong season ticket holder base, the lack of professional sports in the state and the absence of college sports played in the summer could help attendance, as there is less competition (not to mention something to do for parents and kids during the summer months).

Second, is two hours away from Atlanta, Charlotte, and Columbia -- and approximately three hours away from Knoxville. It is centralized and provides for an easy drive for fans to attend games from other cities.

Again, I think @JstVisiting 's suggestion of Greenville for a WNBA franchise is very, very intriguing.

I vote no on Greenville. I vote yes on Charlotte.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I vote no on Greenville. I vote yes on Charlotte.
Seconded. I’d have season tickets in Charlotte.

Also, you need to try Jon G’s BBQ in Peachland. Texas style and only open on Saturday. Best BBQ I’ve had in NC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seconded. I’d have season tickets in Charlotte.

Also, you need to try Jon G’s BBQ in Peachland. Texas style and only open on Saturday. Best BBQ I’ve had in NC.

I marked it as a want-to-go to place for awhile, but haven't made it down there. I just wonder what time you have to be in line to be guaranteed food. I would hate to drive two hours and find out all the food is sold out. :oops:

I hope for Charlotte.... but I kinda doubt they return as an expansion franchise. The best bet might be to poach the team from Atlanta.... like we do to their major banks all the time. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom