WNBA draft will be virtual event this season due to pandemic | The Boneyard

WNBA draft will be virtual event this season due to pandemic

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This makes the most sense IMO.

It's still too early to rule out the possibility of a shortened season. And even if the 2020 season doesn't happen, there's a cohort of draft entrants who have moved on from college and need to be divvied up among the teams, even if only contractually.

I feel for the players, who (as Lauren Cox described) will miss out on the "glam" effect of congregating in New York City with their families, coaches and fellow draftees, but this even will bring some much needed buzz to an otherwise desolate landscape.

Reaction Score
While the circumstances are less than ideal I could see a lot more attention on it this year as it is going to be a live event that can be hyped. Great decision to go ahead with it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guessing the only way to get the logistics working with the players virtually being available for comments etc is to supply the results of the draft ahead of time to all concerned and keep it under wraps. Then the virtual technology connections could be made and some semblance of give and take between the teams, draftees and analysts could be made

Reaction Score
Well on plus side- The absence of any live sporting events will make the draft more of a watchable event by default for any sports fan. It should even get more coverage with no moving the latter stages to ESPN News.

Reaction Score
Ready for the virtual draft WNBA smart with the virtual draft Great way to promote the league, and get some good viewership

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In my opinion, they should delay the draft until they know what is happening to the season. Why lock college players out of the possibility of returning to college next year if there is no WNBA season whatsoever in 2020?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
While the circumstances are less than ideal I could see a lot more attention on it this year as it is going to be a live event that can be hyped. Great decision to go ahead with it.

Good point -- It might go from an afterthought on ESPN2 and ESPNU to a main event on ESPN.

Reaction Score
It may be the biggest event of the sports season. That's a flabbergaster! I love the WNBA, but I never thought this could happen in my lifetime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom