WNBA Draft Lottery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Lottery

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but Chiney hasn't really been healthy her entire career, Nneka won't play forever, and Stevens prefers to be on the perimeter more so Brink would likely be welcomed, but the the Sparks need better guards as well. I suspect Brink will win up in LA unless the team trades the pick.
@TheFarmFan

Well, talk about contingency planning or "Which fork in the road do we take?"
Both pairs of sisters (Chiney/Nneka, Karlie/Katie Lou) are UFAs, as are their point guards, Canada and Clarendon.

I suspect that the front office and Kurt Miller will be weighing options and cap space to come up with all sorts of options, which are also affected by whether draft prospects come out. Also, at some point do you just move forward? Some options:
  • Sign your best big (Nneka) and draft Paige B;
  • Keep LA native Canada in LA as your PG and draft Cameron Brink; and,
  • Trade #2/rights to Paige to Minnesota for a boatload of people, such as Diamond Miller, a young big (Dorka Juhasz or Jess Shepard) plus Minny's pick.

Of course, have to keep track of so many scenarios until that 48-window hits after the NCAA finals.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Why do you think Brink is a better fit? LA is loaded with strong post players - Nneka, Chiney, Azure, and Hamby. (And sorta Katie Lou.) Meanwhile, Canada is an unrestricted free agent unless LA cores her, at which point they'll have to burn through most of their cap space to offer her a super max deal. Unless you think LA should blow its cap space on her and/or Layshia Clarendon is their PG of the future, I actually think LA has greater needs in the backcourt than the frontcourt.

All that said, Brink + Ogwumikes + Samuelsons in LA = happy FarmFan here. :)
On second glance I didn’t realize how stacked they were inside. I would think they’d move some pieces around (maybe trade one of Hamby/Stevens) to accommodate Brink. I still think they’ll go with her over Bueckers unless Paige consistently plays like she did last night. Paige a riskier pick due to health history, and I see LA not wanting to pass up a sure thing in Cameron Brink who would go #1 in most other drafts.

Reaction Score
Clark is an amazing talent and I agree with you she's likely to have considerable marquee value at the next level. There is a lot of very good talent in women's college basketball right now that could help to enhance the WNBA. Although it is a huge comparison, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are widely given credit for jumpstarting the NBA. They were hugely popular and talented players and had just come off a championship game against each other. I wonder if Clark and Paige, among others, could have a similar effect for the WNBA.
Given the impact of social media and the access to watch more woman's basketball games compared to 20, 30, & 40 years ago, players like Clark and Paige will have a huge impact on the WNBA. And as high school, AAU, and overseas youth level coaching improves, the quality of play will only get better which will help college programs and WNBA teams. I believe Clark, Paige, Boston, and a host of current and incoming players will have a positive impact on the WNBA and its growth.

Reaction Score
I could see a better version of the Clark/Czinano connection forming between Boston and Clark.

Brink to LA would be interesting as well. That defense would be nasty!

Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan

Well, talk about contingency planning or "Which fork in the road do we take?"
Both pairs of sisters (Chiney/Nneka, Karlie/Katie Lou) are UFAs, as are their point guards, Canada and Clarendon.

I suspect that the front office and Kurt Miller will be weighing options and cap space to come up with all sorts of options, which are also affected by whether draft prospects come out. Also, at some point do you just move forward? Some options:
  • Sign your best big (Nneka) and draft Paige B;
  • Keep LA native Canada in LA as your PG and draft Cameron Brink; and,
  • Trade #2/rights to Paige to Minnesota for a boatload of people, such as Diamond Miller, a young big (Dorka Juhasz or Jess Shepard) plus Minny's pick.

Of course, have to keep track of so many scenarios until that 48-window hits after the NCAA finals.
I've been trying to figure who the Lynx would give up to get the #2 pick. Diamond and the #7 maybe. She doesn't shoot the three. So would LA want Diamond? Also, they had a shot at Dorka and didn't take her last year.They traded Nelson-Ododa.

Reeves wants Paige but how much is she willing to give up? Also she could take Camilla or Kitley at 7 and still get a point guard later. Like you say, a lot of scenarios.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
So if all signs point to Clark going to Indiana at #1, that means their starting lineup is likely:

Boston
Smith
?? (Current options are Vivians or Hull)
Mitchell
Clark

That's a pretty stacked (And young) lineup, though there is a gaping hole at the 3 spot. Might not matter with that type of talent, though they could look to free agency (or elsewhere in the draft).

I will say should this all work out, I have to imagine the Fever attendance will explode. Indiana loves basketball, they already got a spark with Boston and Berger, and then adding the biggest star in WCBB (who is also from midwest) should send tickets through the roof.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark being a genuine threat from the half court and beyond would open Vivians and/or Hull up a bit more. They both are really uneven on the offensive end, but you're going to need someone besides Mitchell to hound the other team's guards, and let's be real: that's never going to be Clark.
Someone like Gabby Williams or Jasmine Thomas could be a solid pickup from free agency. Maybe Rebecca Allen. I don’t see Vivians or Hull as a solution at SF.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they land a big name in the 2024 off season to compliment the other 4. Similar to Parker joining Vegas or all of the stars joining the Liberty.

Reaction Score
So if all signs point to Clark going to Indiana at #1, that means their starting lineup is likely:

Boston
Smith
?? (Current options are Vivians or Hull)
Mitchell
Clark

That's a pretty stacked (And young) lineup, though there is a gaping hole at the 3 spot. Might not matter with that type of talent, though they could look to free agency (or elsewhere in the draft).

I will say should this all work out, I have to imagine the Fever attendance will explode. Indiana loves basketball, they already got a spark with Boston and Berger, and then adding the biggest star in WCBB (who is also from midwest) should send tickets through the roof.

I can’t see them keeping Mitchell if Clark goes there. They both need the ball in their hands.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Someone like Gabby Williams or Jasmine Thomas could be a solid pickup from free agency. Maybe Rebecca Allen. I don’t see Vivians or Hull as a solution at SF.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they land a big name in the 2024 off season to compliment the other 4. Similar to Parker joining Vegas or all of the stars joining the Liberty.
@TheFarmFan

It you could merge Hull and Vivians I think that would work :D: Hull for her defense and ability to run the floor; Vivians for her albeit streaky shooting.

Gabby Williams is a phenom athlete who is expanding her game, but her success and time spent playing in/for France sometimes keeps her away from the W. My gut: sign Rebecca Allen. Fast. Spider can defend, shoot the three and the Aussie League actually complements the W in terms of schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t see them keeping Mitchell if Clark goes there. They both need the ball in their hands.
I think Kelsey Mitchell is actually better w/o the ball, running around screens like Steph. Not a great backcourt on D though. They badly need to fill the 5th spot in that lineup with a great wing defender.

Reaction Score
I've been trying to figure who the Lynx would give up to get the #2 pick. Diamond and the #7 maybe. She doesn't shoot the three. So would LA want Diamond? Also, they had a shot at Dorka and didn't take her last year.They traded Nelson-Ododa.

Reeves wants Paige but how much is she willing to give up? Also she could take Camilla or Kitley at 7 and still get a point guard later. Like you say, a lot of scenarios.
Has Paige declared for the draft? If Paige declares then that opens up some movement. Right now, I think Coach Reeve is sitting back studying potential moves. This is going to be an interesting draft because of the Covid year option for players. I think once we get an official list of names, then the deals will start happening. But it would be nice having Paige back here in Minnesota playing for her hometown squad.

Reaction Score
Has Paige declared for the draft? If Paige declares then that opens up some movement. Right now, I think Coach Reeve is sitting back studying potential moves. This is going to be an interesting draft because of the Covid year option for players. I think once we get an official list of names, then the deals will start happening.
Also, she has a long list of free agents. Who does she sign? Who does she let go?

Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan

It you could merge Hull and Vivians I think that would work :D: Hull for her defense and ability to run the floor; Vivians for her albeit streaky shooting.

Gabby Williams is a phenom athlete who is expanding her game, but her success and time spent playing in/for France sometimes keeps her away from the W. My gut: sign Rebecca Allen. Fast. Spider can defend, shoot the three and the Aussie League actually complements the W in terms of schedule.
Allen was playing in Spain with Valencia so she was going to be one of the players not eligible to sign in the WNBA once they made the semifinals. She did recently leave the team for personal reasons so she will presumably be able to sign somewhere next season. The lack of money in Australia has pushed a number of their players to Europe recently.

Reaction Score
Morrow, Miles, Rivers, Iriafen and Sellers are likely the top candidates for a 2025 draft. I think most GMs would gladly roll the dice with Bueckers at #1 that year.
The Uconn players that are candidates for their Mt. Rushmore generally have in common a national championship and being the first pick in their draft class. As a player ranked first in her HS class, Paige could have been expected to make a run for that level of excellence. The fact that she has thus far not achieved either of those goals, makes me think the odds are pretty good she returns for another season.

I haven't thought much about the top of next year's draft, but certainly Paige could be at the top of the list you provided. One thing that could change quite a bit, however, is it is not just Paige with a decision to make. Clark, Brink and several others could come back, I believe Reese has already said she is coming back. Now I think most will not come back, but if they did 2025 could be a strong draft class.

I for one will be glad when after this year, the extra year from Covid can be put to bed. It has created much uncertainty that makes planning very difficult, not just for WNBA teams, but also for all the college coaches who can't even determine how many roster spots they will have until they find out who is staying vs. returning among their seniors. If you aren't close to 15 it is not a big deal, but if you are it is a nightmare.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Allen was playing in Spain with Valencia so she was going to be one of the players not eligible to sign in the WNBA once they made the semifinals. She did recently leave the team for personal reasons so she will presumably be able to sign somewhere next season. The lack of money in Australia has pushed a number of their players to Europe recently.
Thanks for the reply.
Regarding:
  • Aussie League. That post is actually the second one I bring up the Aussie League, after one that suggests Paige could use a stint there as a way of having some down time after the college season (as opposed to jumping right into the W). Paige doesn't need the cash and, yes, I'm well aware that the league doesn't pay as much, which is why many W players go for a year and then parlay it into Euro contracts (Marina Mabrey is a solid example).
  • As for Allen she played 40 games for the Sun last year and, yes, I'd read she was not in Spain anymore.
She'd be an excellent addition to teams that need a defensive wing who can also shoot from distance.

Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan

Vivians isn't exactly a bad defender overall and that's likely one reason why she has hung on this long despite very inconsistent offense.

Hull is of course better on defense and has a high motor, but on offense the Fever would be playing 4 on 5, which may not be bad between Mitchell and Clark plus Smith and Boston down low.

Reaction Score

WNBADraft.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom