WNBA Draft Lottery | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Lottery

Reaction Score
Congrats, Indiana. Now it all comes down to which players decide to come out or take that extra year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Clark declares. I can’t see her passing up the opportunity to play with Boston and staying in the Midwest.
I came to the same conclusion last night night and decided to sleep on it to see if held up: Yup!

Playing with Boston is just too enticing an opportunity. (And Smith isn't a bad option, either), first and foremost.

As brought up yesterday, I'm not sure there's a lot to bring her back to Iowa:
  • Her buddies Gabbie Marshall and Kate Martin are running out of eligibility (I believe);
  • She's already scored 3,000 pts
  • Her current NIL money will translate into endorsements in the pro's because she's a superstar; signing with Excel, who represent Arike and 'Phee. She'll get her extra income regardless of where she is.

But, mostly, I think it's time to take her game to the next level and that's the pro's and top-flight International play with the U.S.A. Team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I came to the same conclusion last night night and decided to sleep on it to see if held up: Yup!

Playing with Boston is just too enticing an opportunity. (And Smith isn't a bad option, either), first and foremost.

As brought up yesterday, I'm not sure there's a lot to bring her back to Iowa:
  • Her buddies Gabbie Marshall and Kate Martin are running out of eligibility (I believe);
  • She's already scored 3,000 pts
  • Her current NIL money will translate into endorsements in the pro's because she's a superstar; signing with Excel, who represent Arike and 'Phee.

But, mostly, I think it's time to take her game to the next level and that's the pro's and top-flight International play with the U.S.A. Team.
Yeah, that's been in the back of my mind too. I have a feeling that Clark and Brink leave for the pros, and Bueckers stays for another season because she wants to play with Azzi and cement her legacy at UConn. I honestly don't know what Cardoso will choose. I could see her pulling a "Rikea Jackson" and staying another season to get better prepared for the pro game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's been in the back of my mind too. I have a feeling that Clark and Brink leave for the pros, and Bueckers stays for another season because she wants to play with Azzi and cement her legacy at UConn. I honestly don't know what Cardoso will choose. I could see her pulling a "Rikea Jackson" and staying another season to get better prepared for the pro game.
I just read this article in The Next and they provided this tidbit: Clark's boyfriend works for the company that co-owns both the Pacers and the Fever, so she's got a personal, vested interest to head 7 hour east, as well.

The Next:

Clark, specifically, could be among the best players in the league one day. She would pair incredibly well with Boston, and her boyfriend — former Iowa men’s basketball guard Connor McCaffrey — works for the Indiana Pacers. They are owned by the same group that operates the Fever.

Reaction Score
Clark probably will and in my opinion should go. She will be one of the faces of the league and will get to join a team that, while not a good one, has building blocks in place to climb in the league standings.

I suspect Brink goes as well. The rest we will have to see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clark probably will and in my opinion should go. She will be one of the faces of the league
Clark is an amazing talent and I agree with you she's likely to have considerable marquee value at the next level. There is a lot of very good talent in women's college basketball right now that could help to enhance the WNBA. Although it is a huge comparison, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are widely given credit for jumpstarting the NBA. They were hugely popular and talented players and had just come off a championship game against each other. I wonder if Clark and Paige, among others, could have a similar effect for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Clark is an amazing talent and I agree with you she's likely to have considerable marquee value at the next level. There is a lot of very good talent in women's college basketball right now that could help to enhance the WNBA. Although it is a huge comparison, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are widely given credit for jumpstarting the NBA. They were hugely popular and talented players and had just come off a championship game against each other. I wonder if Clark and Paige, among others, could have a similar effect for the WNBA.
We've heard this before with the W about certain players jumpstarting the league and so far there hasn't been a monumental jump in popularity, but the W seems to be hanging in there and growing (slowly) with respect to popularity. Women's BB will likely remain a niche product but one where even a small, loyal following can help the league continue to establish their reputation.

Reaction Score
I hope Paige decides to stay, I would rather not watch the W if she’s playing for Indiana or LA

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope Paige decides to stay, I would rather not watch the W if she’s playing for Indiana or LA
If you don't mind me asking, why?
(I can't quite tell if you don't like the W in general, or specific teams -- as mentioned).
Just curious.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If she declares I think she's most likely to go to Phoenix at #3. Caitlin is a lock for #1, Brink is a better fit in LA at #2.

Reaction Score
Indiana is currently set up for a dynamic guard to thrive. Paige or Caitlin would do well there if drafted. Indiana is a much more viable place to get drafted this season compared to last season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If she declares I think she's most likely to go to Phoenix at #3. Caitlin is a lock for #1, Brink is a better fit in LA at #2.
Why do you think Brink is a better fit? LA is loaded with strong post players - Nneka, Chiney, Azure, and Hamby. (And sorta Katie Lou.) Meanwhile, Canada is an unrestricted free agent unless LA cores her, at which point they'll have to burn through most of their cap space to offer her a super max deal. Unless you think LA should blow its cap space on her and/or Layshia Clarendon is their PG of the future, I actually think LA has greater needs in the backcourt than the frontcourt.

All that said, Brink + Ogwumikes + Samuelsons in LA = happy FarmFan here. :)

Reaction Score
Why do you think Brink is a better fit? LA is loaded with strong post players - Nneka, Chiney, Azure, and Hamby. (And sorta Katie Lou.) Meanwhile, Canada is an unrestricted free agent unless LA cores her, at which point they'll have to burn through most of their cap space to offer her a super max deal. Unless you think LA should blow its cap space on her and/or Layshia Clarendon is their PG of the future, I actually think LA has greater needs in the backcourt than the frontcourt.

All that said, Brink + Ogwumikes + Samuelsons in LA = happy FarmFan here. :)
I get what you are saying but Chiney hasn't really been healthy her entire career, Nneka won't play forever, and Stevens prefers to be on the perimeter more so Brink would likely be welcomed, but the the Sparks need better guards as well. I suspect Brink will win up in LA unless the team trades the pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom