WNBA draft (Huskies) | The Boneyard

WNBA draft (Huskies)

Reaction Score
The more I watch our girls & other top players I have to wonder what I’m missing. In regards to the number 1 pick would spin a bottle & whomever it lands on between Lou & Pheesa I’m happy.

Lou can score in bunches & drop 15 in quarter at any given moment. She’s 6’4” can run, passes well & has been rebounding great! Defensively she has been better & will be able to guard third options on the perimeter in the W. Oh & upon being drafted will be one of the best shooters in the league. With Plum & Mo running point, McBride at the 2 & Aja at the 5. She is a perfect fit for what they need on the wing.

What else is the team missing? A versatile 4. I’ve heard they may take a 5 & move Aja to the 4 but I believe Lambier knows Aja at the 5 is where she is most comfortable. I’m taking the person that almost made the national team if you don’t take Lou. Pheesa has answered any questions on if she’s big enough to guard bigger posts. She can guard 4s in the W & her versatility offensively is as good as anyone in this draft. Her only weakness has been her shooting but if she can get that going (it’s looked better lately without that horrible hitch) she could very well go here.

Only other person I consider is Sabrina but how would she do being 3rd or 4th option? Lou & Pheesa know how to play with other stars & don’t need the ball to be effective. Not sure about Sabrina.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Derek Fisher, new coach from the LA Sparks was at the game yesterday. Dont think Lou will be around for the 7th pick they have, unless they trade up.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Derek Fisher, new coach from the LA Sparks was at the game yesterday. Dont think Lou will be around for the 7th pick they have, unless they trade up.
He could also be looking at Pheesa and Anigwe.

Reaction Score

How do you know he wasn’t scoping out Collier, or even more likely Anigwe?

Reaction Score
I’m sure he was there to evaluate them all but like Lou, I highly doubt Pheesa will be around. But better to be safe. Anigwe doesn’t fit any need. They have Nneka & Candace down low & last years first round pick, Maria Vadeeva off the bench. They need a wing or a 2.

Reaction Score
The more I watch our girls & other top players I have to wonder what I’m missing. In regards to the number 1 pick would spin a bottle & whomever it lands on between Lou & Pheesa I’m happy.

Lou can score in bunches & drop 15 in quarter at any given moment. She’s 6’4” can run, passes well & has been rebounding great! Defensively she has been better & will be able to guard third options on the perimeter in the W. Oh & upon being drafted will be one of the best shooters in the league. With Plum & Mo running point, McBride at the 2 & Aja at the 5. She is a perfect fit for what they need on the wing.

What else is the team missing? A versatile 4. I’ve heard they may take a 5 & move Aja to the 4 but I believe Lambier knows Aja at the 5 is where she is most comfortable. I’m taking the person that almost made the national team if you don’t take Lou. Pheesa has answered any questions on if she’s big enough to guard bigger posts. She can guard 4s in the W & her versatility offensively is as good as anyone in this draft. Her only weakness has been her shooting but if she can get that going (it’s looked better lately without that horrible hitch) she could very well go here.

Only other person I consider is Sabrina but how would she do being 3rd or 4th option? Lou & Pheesa know how to play with other stars & don’t need the ball to be effective. Not sure about Sabrina.

A'ja played the 4 the entire season. Why would he put A'ja at the 5?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
He did talk to Lou's parents after the game. He could have been talking about keeping Karlie as she is a free agent. However if you re-read my post I never said he was scoping out Lou, just that I dont think she would be around as late the 7th round.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I expect Kalani Brown, McCowan, Arike, and Asia Doss to be drafted ahead of either Lou or Pheesa, and possibly also Anigwe. I don't expect Ionescu to make herself available, but if she does, she would be competitive with both of them.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wow, the photo is Bonnie Samuelson, Lou's oldest sister with UConn T-shirt.
The announcers in yesterday's game noted that it was weird seeing Bonnie in a UConn T-shirt considering that she was a PAC-12 star at Stanford. They said it was her way of showing support for her "little sister". One thing I hated about the announcers yesterday was they were always saying Lou Samuelson and not Lou or Katie Lou. At the beginning of the game they said her full name then said that the team calls her Lou, but I have never heard anyone call her Lou Samuelson, it's either Katie Lou or Lou.

Reaction Score
The Liberty will have a shot at KLS or Napheesa. I'm torn. It's also possible they will draft a different player. Katie Smith talks about the need for another scoring guard (interesting as they have plenty of guards who like to score, maybe a little too selfishly at times), noting that Kia can play at the 3 or the 5 (if I recall correctly). Neither KLS nor Napheesa are a guard. Still, it would be great to have another UCONN grad join Kia, Tina, Kiah, and Bria.

Reaction Score
I will love to see Seattle or Liberty to get Lou and Phessa ...

Reaction Score
I believe pro scouts have especially keen eyes on Collier. This versatile talent can easily dominant offensively and defensively. Many times, coach needs her to defend the big because only she can provide this complete coverage. But this sometimes costs her fouls and her incredible offensive toolset. Those swooping left layups and midrange jump shots against Cal where all WNBA style. She is also showing the scouts her 3 ball more but in her own quiet manner. WNBA coaches will green light her in the paint where she is virtually automatic. No longer will her offense be hindered by being required to guard the big.

Reaction Score
What else is the team missing? A versatile 4. I’ve heard they may take a 5 & move Aja to the 4 but I believe Lambier knows Aja at the 5 is where she is most comfortable.

Have you forgotten about this thread already?
WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019

Pheesa has answered any questions on if she’s big enough to guard bigger posts. She can guard 4s in the W.

I’m not sure about that.

her versatility offensively is as good as anyone in this draft. Her only weakness has been her shooting but if she can get that going.

That’s a bad weakness considering she’d most likely have to be a SF at WNBA level. Remember Gabby?

Only other person I consider is Sabrina but how would she do being 3rd or 4th option?

Hard to say how quickly she’ll pick things up at the next level. Even as a #1 pick, there’s no guarantee she’d start for team like Vegas (if they keep the pick). PG is a tough position. It takes time to gel with your new teammates. The only teams she may be able to eventually start as a rookie are bad ones with shaky lead guard situations like the Fever or the Liberty, maybe Dallas with Diggins out. She’s likely at least a couple year project for any team that takes her.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Aces need a Small Forward who can knock down shots more than a 5 IMO. While Swords isn't an offensive threat, she does pretty well in Bill's system. You can always slide Wilson to the 5 and Isabelle Harrison will be back and she's a very solid 4. Aces are more in need of a 3 than a 5 IMO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Draft is interesting this year without a clear cut #1. I think Collier or KLS makes sense for Vegas but neither is really "worth" a number 1 pick in that neither will likely be a cornerstone player for whatever franchise they end up with.

McCowan has been good but looked awful against Oregon, she needs to play well in big games to reestablish her draft stock IMO. Brown too, I have more concerns about her than McCowan at this point and I'm not sure either will play well alongside Wilson.

Ionescu is the likely #1 pick if she declares, though I expect her back next year with Oregon as theyll likely be preseason #1 or 2 and have their best chance at a title. She also crowds Vegas's already crowded backcourt. Durr nor Arike get picked #1 unless a trade happens and something bizarre happens.

If I'm Bill, I'd trade the pick to Indy or New York and take KLS or Collier at 4. Could possibly get a player he wants plus add in a good role player like Kia Nurse or Tiffany Mitchell if he works his magic.

Reaction Score
I would take KLS number 1 if I was Last Vegas, or maybe trade to get a key player and maybe get her within the top 5 picks. That's risky. No player seems to be a future superstar, definitely some future All-Stars though. KLS would be the 4th scoring option with Wilson, McBride, and Plum ahead of her. Her as a 4th option would be a scary team.

I don't understand the optimism of wanting another UConn player going to NY. That organization is a dumpster fire currently, plays in a high school gym, and Katie Smith had a rough first season. I can give Smith a pass since it was her first season as head coach, but she didn't know what she was doing. Charles is basically stuck in NY since she forced her way there through a trade, and going somewhere else seems not a priority since the WNBA season is short. I liked Nurse at UConn, so I would like to see her somewhere else for her own sake. I just don't see Smith putting together a championship caliber team.

I hope neither of KLS or Collier go to NY.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about that.
What have you seen that shows she can’t guard a 4 in the W? Guarded great against Shepard & Turner & even Gottlieb stated that the 6’4” Anigwe, was bothered by Colliers length.

That’s a bad weakness considering she’d most likely have to be a SF at WNBA level. Remember Gabby?
No offense to Gabby but she’s not in the same stratosphere in terms of being able to put the ball in the basket as Collier. Collier will undoubtably play 3 some but will also play the 4 quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Draft is interesting this year without a clear cut #1. I think Collier or KLS makes sense for Vegas but neither is really "worth" a number 1 pick in that neither will likely be a cornerstone player for whatever franchise they end up with.

McCowan has been good but looked awful against Oregon, she needs to play well in big games to reestablish her draft stock IMO. Brown too, I have more concerns about her than McCowan at this point and I'm not sure either will play well alongside Wilson.

Ionescu is the likely #1 pick if she declares, though I expect her back next year with Oregon as theyll likely be preseason #1 or 2 and have their best chance at a title. She also crowds Vegas's already crowded backcourt. Durr nor Arike get picked #1 unless a trade happens and something bizarre happens.

If I'm Bill, I'd trade the pick to Indy or New York and take KLS or Collier at 4. Could possibly get a player he wants plus add in a good role player like Kia Nurse or Tiffany Mitchell if he works his magic.

Poor Kia, still a role player in the eyes of some BY'ers. Started four years at UCONN, started for the NY Liberty by season's end, starts for the Canadian National team, and starts for Australia's UC Capitals. 2018 NCAA DPOY. Even fielding her own Nike Canada AAU squad this summer. I'm not sure what it would take to alter this perception of Kia as a role player but I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions. As for Bill, I'm sure he'd love to have her on his team. No question her offense can be inconsistent (as is the case with most players), but she'll always be one of the best defenders on any team she plays for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What have you seen that shows she can’t guard a 4 in the W? Guarded great against Shepard & Turner & even Gottlieb stated that the 6’4” Anigwe, was bothered by Colliers length.

No offense to Gabby but she’s not in the same stratosphere in terms of being able to put the ball in the basket as Collier. Collier will undoubtably play 3 some but will also play the 4 quite a bit.
Collier abused Anigwe and their other big at the same time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Poor Kia, still a role player in the eyes of some BY'ers. Started four years at UCONN, started for the NY Liberty by season's end, starts for the French National team, and starts for Australia's UC Capitals. 2018 NCAA DPOY. Even fielding her own Nike Canada AAU squad this summer. I'm not sure what it would take to alter this perception of Kia as a role player but I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions. As for Bill, I'm sure he'd love to have her on his team. No question her offense can be inconsistent (as is the case with most players), but she'll always be one of the best defenders on any team she plays for.

Role player and rotation player are synonymous IMO, so maybe we are looking at the word "role player" differently. At any rate, it isnt an insult or underestimation of Kia. Most WNBA players have individual resumes comparable or superior to what you listed. The other player mentioned was Tiffany Mitchell who was a 3x All American and 2x SEC Player of the Year. Only so many players can be stars or starters in this league.

Kia came off the bench for one of the worst teams in the league as a rookie and had an up and down year. She may play in the WNBA for a long time, but she isnt a franchise player. She'd be a good fit in Bill's rotation player as a backup wing and could fill in when Plum/McBride need rest. If Bill can find a way to get a player like her AND Collier in the draft for the #1 pick, itd be a job well done IMO. Back to the thread..

Reaction Score
Poor Kia, still a role player in the eyes of some BY'ers. Started four years at UCONN, started for the NY Liberty by season's end, starts for the French National team, and starts for Australia's UC Capitals. 2018 NCAA DPOY. Even fielding her own Nike Canada AAU squad this summer. I'm not sure what it would take to alter this perception of Kia as a role player but I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions. As for Bill, I'm sure he'd love to have her on his team. No question her offense can be inconsistent (as is the case with most players), but she'll always be one of the best defenders on any team she plays for.
RIGHT ON, my dear Lynx23... but you missed the Country Kia plays for ... just an ocean away... It's really the CANADIAN National Team. But the rest of the info is good stuff ;):confused:

Reaction Score
RIGHT ON, my dear Lynx23... but you missed the Country Kia plays for ... just an ocean away... It's really the CANADIAN National Team. But the rest of the info is good stuff ;):confused:

Yeah, I was thinking French Canadian (which is still wrong) and had a Senior moment. Thanks for the correction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom