OT: - WNBA coronavirus testing | The Boneyard

OT: WNBA coronavirus testing

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The WNBA announced today that 7/138 players scheduled to arrive in the league’s “bubble” at IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL have tested positive for the coronavirus.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seems to be the generic 5% positive testing level seen in the general population. It seems to me that being in the bubble is safer than being out in the world. If the players enter the bubble with an all negative baseline and the players (an all others) maintain discipline in safety procedures and the testing is accurate (got to worry about False Negatives which however is minimized by multiple tests), I think the season will work.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems to be the generic 5% positive testing level seen in the general population. It seems to me that being in the bubble is safer than being out in the world. If the players enter the bubble with an all negative baseline and the players (an all others) maintain discipline in safety procedures and the testing is accurate (got to worry about False Negatives which however is minimized by multiple tests), I think the season will work.
The key to a successful WNBA season will be for players, coaches & officials to be circumspect in their actions and activity away from basketball and the bubble. While 5% positive is in line with the general population, over the past few weeks the state of FL has seen positive tests in the 15-20% range.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The key to a successful WNBA season will be for players, coaches & officials to be circumspect in their actions and activity away from basketball and the bubble. While 5% positive is in line with the general population, over the past few weeks the state of FL has seen positive tests in the 15-20% range.

But my understanding is that players, coaches & officials stay in the bubble and are tested frequently (as much as the players?) The only people outside the bubble are hotel staffers / food deliverers etc and I imagine they are well educated in hosting this and I expect them to be disciplined, tested periodically and able to practice all social distancing, mask wearing , sanitizing plexi-glass partitioning etc needed.

I had mentioned earlier that the Mens TBT 11 day tournament in Columbus is a good prep model and hopefully, will be safe and successful

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But my understanding is that players, coaches & officials stay in the bubble and are tested frequently (as much as the players?) The only people outside the bubble are hotel staffers / food deliverers etc and I imagine they are well educated in hosting this and I expect them to be disciplined, tested periodically and able to practice all social distancing, mask wearing , sanitizing plexi-glass partitioning etc needed.

I had mentioned earlier that the Mens TBT 11 day tournament in Columbus is a good prep model and hopefully, will be safe and successful
It’s not like the players et al will be under lock and key. I would certainly hope that everyone follows the protocol. But if a few players decide to head to the beach on their off day or go out to a restaurant, no one is going to stop them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It’s not like the players et al will be under lock and key. I would certainly hope that everyone follows the protocol. But if a few players decide to head to the beach on their off day or go out to a restaurant, no one is going to stop them.

Hmm. If that is the case, I am far less optimistic. The TBT tournament is policed heavily. Anyone leaving the hotel (Camera's monitoring the exits) except to go to the arena is disqualified. I guess it helps that TBT is winner take all so being the player to screw up their team would be metaphorically killed.

Assuming you are at a resort level hotel with every amenity, why would anyone want to go to a restaurant or the beach. If I am a player, I would want to be in "lock down".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hmm. If that is the case, I am far less optimistic. The TBT tournament is policed heavily. Anyone leaving the hotel (Camera's monitoring the exits) except to go to the arena is disqualified. I guess it helps that TBT is winner take all so being the player to screw up their team would be metaphorically killed.

Assuming you are at a resort level hotel with every amenity, why would anyone want to go to a restaurant or the beach. If I am a player, I would want to be in "lock down".
These are young people. While I have a lot more confidence in the WNBA players doing the right thing than their male counterparts, it only takes 1 inadvertent mistake in judgement or one unfortunate interaction with a member of the resort staff and you could have an entire team in quarantine, or even worse.

Reaction Score
Bubble tweets are starting. Bit surprised 3 to a room.

More like a suite or apartment I'd guess. But it does sense... some folks to socialize with during the day-to-day routine to make the bubble more bearable.

I sure hope the bubble works... I'm getting desparate for some fresh women's hoops! My mind is starting to go Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I appreciate how you presented the statistics (as a %). Usually the statistics are presented as the total number of positive results with no relation to the number of tests given. Even though the number of positive results are good to have, I think knowing (making up these numbers) if 100 positives is based on 1000 tests versus 5000 would make a significant difference.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I appreciate how you presented the statistics (as a %). Usually the statistics are presented as the total number of positive results with no relation to the number of tests given. Even though the number of positive results are good to have, I think knowing (making up these numbers) if 100 positives is based on 1000 tests versus 5000 would make a significant difference.
For what it's worth, total FL coronavirus cases have been rising as fast as any state, averaging approximately 8,000-9,000 cases per day over the past week.

Reaction Score
Not WNBA but here we go as regards basketball players. Louisville MBB players were tested and quarantined when they returned to campus, prior to beginning workouts.

The University of Louisville announced on Tuesday that it has temporarily suspended all men's basketball voluntarily activities after two members of the program tested positive for the CoVid-19 virus on Monday.

The school did not release the names of those who tested positive but said those impacted are in quarantine.

"All proper procedures and protocols are being followed, including the quarantining of those impacted," the release from the school said. "We look forward to a resumption of men's basketball activities in the near future."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And the hits just keep on coming.

We are deluding ourselves if we think there will be a basketball season.

This is prior to the bubble reset. Just proves it is dangerous in the outside world. If the proper discipline and precautions set up can be maintained within the bubble, it can work. They are certainly not a risk to the outside world so they deserve every opportunity to go for it.

Reaction Score
Geez. Asia can't catch a break. Very troubling that her recovery is not going well.

That's why the death rate (which has decreased, at least for now) doesn't begin to tell the entire story. Here you have an elite athlete in her early to mid 20s having difficulty recovering. Lots of people will survive the disease but will suffer significant long-term consequences.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KY Card Fan, I chose not to "like" a post about Asia having Covid, but I want to repeat some noteworthy things you said:

--We have an elite 23-year-old athlete who has been struggling with Covid for a month. That gets my attention and should get everyones.

--My pessimistic side agrees with you about deluding ourselves. For there to be a meaningful season, especially for WCBB, we need either to have considerable good luck or to be totally willing to keep replacing sick players with healthy players, regardless of the numbers. Fingers, toes, etc. are crossed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Asia Durr’s story should be a warning to every young person in the country that no one is invincible. This is a very serious disease that is extremely infectious, with the potential for long lasting health issues, even for young people.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the NBA digs at Disney World are top shelf, it appears that the W’s accommodations in Bradenton are pretty Spartan. A number of players have complained about rooms with rodent traps, bug infestation and showers that don’t drain. The W is currently relocating some of the players to other accommodations.

In other perhaps related news, MLS has been forced to cancel their first game in the “MLS is Back” tournament between Nashville SC and the Chicago Fire today as 5 Nashville players have tested positive for COVID-19. Nashville had been training in Orlando.

Reaction Score
Just because a league is doing everything as right as possible doesn't mean it's players are. Remember what age group most athletes belong to - the "It won't hurt us" age group not the "we gonna die" group. I know I sure did things before 30 I sure would not do today!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just because a league is doing everything as right as possible doesn't mean it's players are. Remember what age group most athletes belong to - the "It won't hurt us" age group not the "we gonna die" group. I know I sure did things before 30 I sure would not do today!

Age is not critical. Emotional maturity and motivation to do the right thing is. The WNBA players see what is happening to Asia (and others) so they will be careful. Being International players has prepared them to deal with tough conditions and they are motivated to succeed since the league itself is very tenuous.

One the other hand, I can see the coddled NBA players who may really think they are immortal sneaking in /out contraband including ladies of the evening. :rolleyes: I predict that experiment will implode with multiple cases but for being there passed the opt in day, I bet the players would get the money anyway since they will claim it is the fault of the NBA preparations. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom