Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who will win WNBA this year

Answer: The Washington Mystics. Question: Who will win the WNBA championship this year? Sorry, but its their year. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If the Mystics can avoid any late-season/early playoff injuries, I think they bring an immense amount of individual and collective offensive talents.

As most know, EDD is having one of those historic seasons in which she's shooting more than 50% overall (51.6%), 40% from 3-pt. range (48%) and 90% from the free-throw line (97%). Guess what? She's not the only on on team: Emma Meesseman is doing the same (57%, 44%, 90%).

With those two firing on all cylinders, a returned Ariel Atkins, a constantly improving Arial Powers and a very steady Natasha Cloud will make it tough for any opponent. And LaToya Sanders keeps doing the dirty work in the paint. IF Kristi Toliver returns, she adds the (very) long-range shooting and streakiness that can make teams like this unbeatable.

Only possible other contenders: Connecticut and L.A.,, which is gradually getting it's act solidified. However, EDD and Emma are a very tough combo....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
EDD clearly wasn't close to 100% last year in the playoffs. Maybe if she was, they would've won the Title. We'll never know, but she looks as good as she ever has in her career currently. Seattle isn't remotely the same team, nobody appears to be in the same class as the Mystics. I realize Connecticut is only 1 game behind them in the standings, but I think there's a fairly significant gap there.

Reaction Score
Right now I’m saying the Mystics. Only the Sun and Sparks have the tools to slow down EDD and/or Meessemen. Even so it would still be difficult to truly slow down that Mystics offense with its myriad of offensive weapons.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mystics appear to be the favorite but the Sun, Sparks and Aces will be no cakewalk. This will be EDD's best chance with most other players of her caliber either sitting out or coming off injury.

Reaction Score
Pre-playoff it appears a consensus that the Mystics are the overwhelming favorite.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and the way the Mystics lost in last years final and EDD unable to play at her best, the Mystics (and EDD) will be unbelievably motivated and leave no stone unturned. A bit like the Warriors used to be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mystics are the obvious favorite, although I think the Sparks have a shot to win it, too. I'll be very surprised if it isn't one of those 2 teams that wins.

Reaction Score
Mystics. Kristi Toliver’s not playing, Ariel Atkins has had rough year and they are still blowing teams out. Their bench players are having really good years...Walker-Kimbrough, Hines-Allen and especially Hawkins and Powers. They have shooters all over the floor. The only person who doesn’t shoot the three is Latoya Pringle or Sanders. If not them, the sparks or the sun if they don’t choke.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bringing back UConn Poll memories from the Stewie era. ;)

Reaction Score
I would love to vote for the Sun but I don't think their bench is strong enough. I went with the Mystics.

Reaction Score
It was odd because the Storm were the only possible ”other”. Why not just enter “Storm”?
It appears the Storm is delegated to the same status as the "Professor and Maryann" who were initially referred to as " and the rest" in the "Gilligans Island" theme song.

Reaction Score
If Taurasi can go and stay in games, Phoenix could make a run. But Washington is most likely the champ this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If Taurasi can go and stay in games, Phoenix could make a run. But Washington is most likely the champ this season.

I don't see it with Phoenix. Team has been struggling. Taurasi is coming off back problems and now apparently has hamstring problems as well. She may be the GOAT but her shooting has been atrocious in the limited number of games she's played this season. I just don't think she's going to be able to flip the switch and lead them on a deep run this year.

Reaction Score
In the first round games this evening see both the Mercury and Lynx losing.

Reaction Score
The Mystics seem to be the team to beat. They not only have the best rocord but are also playing really well right now. The Sparks could challenge them, but they would really have to get there sheeit together, which they have yet to show they can do. The vets have to play better and the coach - coach better than they have played or shown all season. The Mystics are just dominating everyone right now. Still it's the playoffs and a hot team can cool of an a cold team can heat up. All we have to do is compare some of the teams that were hot in the beginning of the season and compare them to what they are doing now. NY started really hot.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If the Mystics can avoid any late-season/early playoff injuries, I think they bring an immense amount of individual and collective offensive talents.

As most know, EDD is having one of those historic seasons in which she's shooting more than 50% overall (51.6%), 40% from 3-pt. range (48%) and 90% from the free-throw line (97%). Guess what? She's not the only on on team: Emma Meesseman is doing the same (57%, 44%, 90%).

With those two firing on all cylinders, a returned Ariel Atkins, a constantly improving Arial Powers and a very steady Natasha Cloud will make it tough for any opponent. And LaToya Sanders keeps doing the dirty work in the paint. IF Kristi Toliver returns, she adds the (very) long-range shooting and streakiness that can make teams like this unbeatable.

Only possible other contenders: Connecticut and L.A.,, which is gradually getting it's act solidified. However, EDD and Emma are a very tough combo....

Any team that has serious aspirations about winning it all, has got to figure out how to beat the Mystics twice in Washington. That’s hard to do. The two home teams won tonight (Chicago and Seattle). Neither game was close. The Sky blew out the Sun.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Neither game was close.

Seattle-Minnesota was back and forth. Lynx got within 3 or 4 several times in the second half, including w/ around 5 1/2 minutes left. Terrible end of the game for Minnesota, but I would still call it reasonably close.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Seattle-Minnesota was back and forth. Lynx got within 3 or 4 several times in the second half, including w/ around 5 1/2 minutes left. Terrible end of the game for Minnesota, but I would still call it reasonably close.

I turned it off after the 3rd quarter. I figured the Lynx were out of gas. They lost by 10. To me, close is a 1-3 point game, or a game that comes down the the last possession.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I turned it off after the 3rd quarter. I figured the Lynx were out of gas. They lost by 10. To me, close is a 1-3 point game, or a game that comes down the the last possession.

Okay. Any doubt about the Sky game ended a few minutes into Q3. Storm-Lynx was still interesting well into Q4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom