WNBA Champ 2018- My Prediction... | The Boneyard

WNBA Champ 2018- My Prediction...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LA Sparks.

Striper, I'm a Sparks fan. I'm also a fan of several other teams as well. I like the WNBA. I followed Maya Moore into the W when she graduated. I wanted to continue to follow her at the next level. I've been here ever since. It would not anger me if LA won it all. However, I think it's the Storm's championship to lose.

Losers of only 8 games all year, It looks like they figured this thing out. The byes they'll get during the first 2 rounds will give them time to rest and heal, in addition to having home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

Watch out for Connecticut too. They're playing well right now. On a good day, they can play with anybody.
If McCoughtry was still with the team, I'd include the Dream in this discussion as well. Go Sparks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hope the Sparks can do it.. But I won't hold my breath. If they fall. Hopefully Connecticut, Washington or Atlanta wins...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sparks are a long shot. Who knows how Nneka will be which means their only reliable offense comes from Parker and Gray. Sims is a shell of the threat she was a year ago, Beard isn’t an offensive threat, and each of Lavender/Carson/Vadeeva/Williams are very up and down.

Title is Seattle’s to lose. They have 4 excellent players and they play well together. Wouldn’t count out Phoenix either with this recent streak their on.

My prediction is:
R1
Sparks beat Lynx on another Gray buzzer beater
Phoenix easily handles Dallas

R2
Washington beats LA in a close one
Phoenix beats Connecticut again in the 2nd round just like last year

R3
Storm beat Phoenix in 4. If it goes 5, Phoenix wins.
Atlanta beats Washington in 4

R4
Storm/Phoenix beat Atlanta in 3. Dream run out of gas with no Angel.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sparks are a long shot. Who knows how Nneka will be which means their only reliable offense comes from Parker and Gray. Sims is a shell of the threat she was a year ago, Beard isn’t an offensive threat, and each of Lavender/Carson/Vadeeva/Williams are very up and down.

Title is Seattle’s to lose. They have 4 excellent players and they play well together. Wouldn’t count out Phoenix either with this recent streak their on.

My prediction is:
R1

R2

R3

R4

Playoff format:
  • There are 4 playoff rounds. The top two seeds receive a bye to the semifinals (third round), and the third and fourth seeds receive a bye to the second round.
  • Teams will be re-seeded after each postseason round.
  • The first and second rounds are 1 game elimination. In the first round, the No. 5 seed hosts the No. 8 seed and the No. 6 seed hosts the No. 7 seed. In the second round, the No. 3 seed hosts the lowest-seeded first-round winner and the No. 4 seed hosts the other first-round winner.
  • The semifinals feature a best-of-five format, with the No. 1 overall seed playing the lowest remaining seed and the No. 2 overall seed meeting the remaining team. The Nos. 1 and 2 seeds will host Games 1, 2 and 5, and the lower-seeded teams will host Games 3 and 4 in their respective series. The WNBA Finals remain best-of-five and follow the same 2-2-1 format.
0820-WNBA-Playoffs-Bracket-Website-1440.jpg

My predictions are:

Round 1 = Mercury over the Wings - Sparks over Lynx. (I expect at least 12,ooo fans to show up at Staples for this one)
Round 2 = Mystics over LA. - Sun over the Mercury.
Round 3 - Sun over the Dream - Storm over Mystics
Round 4 - Storm over the Sun - ( A long 5 hr cross country flight for each team) UConn's Brianna Stewart and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis get their first WNBA championship ring. Sue Bird gets her third.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Mystics will not beat LA.

LA Phoenix Final.

If the Mystics kept Stef then they would've had a chance. She would've complimented EDD and Meesseman very well.

Gray will go on a tear again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

LA Phoenix Final.

If the Mystics kept Stef then they would've had a chance. She would've complimented EDD and Meesseman very well.

1. Stef was traded for EDD.
2. Meesseman has not played at all this year.
3. I think Washington has a very good chance.

Reaction Score
My prediction..

Phx beats Dallas
La beats Lynx

Second round..
phx beats CT
LA beats Mystics

Semis
Seattle beats La
phx beats Atlanta

Sue doesn’t lose to Diana. Seattle beats Phoenix in 4.

Reaction Score
My prediction..

Phx beats Dallas
La beats Lynx

Second round..
phx beats CT
LA beats Mystics

Semis
Seattle beats La
phx beats Atlanta

Sue doesn’t lose to Diana. Seattle beats Phoenix in 4.
Seattle has been winning with Loyd having a so-so year, if she gets back to being a star, Seattle has a great chance at winning.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minnesota has struggled this year, but they are riding a 1-game winning streak. I learned never to pick against Maya, even if her team is 18-16. This is an unlikely pick, but I'm going with Minnesota for at least another 24 hours.

Reaction Score
1. Stef was traded for EDD.
2. Meesseman has not played at all this year.
3. I think Washington has a very good chance.
They should not have traded Stef for her.

I'm talking Meesseman when she comes back.

Mystics have no chance.

Reaction Score

Mystics have no chance.
EDD is a way better player than Stef. Not diminishing Stef, but EDD was an MOP before. Besides , EDD clearly has a higher ceiling. If they didn't do the trade than the Mystics would probably be in a worse place.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Mystics have no chance.

Stef wouldn't make Mystics much better than they are. She struggles defensively and has been quite up and down this year. Their current center, Latoya Sanders, has been absolutely stellar all season. Stef would be a downgrade from her.

Mystics definitely have a shot...EDD has been fantastic this season and Toliver is the type of player who can single handily win games. Sanders has been rock solid at center, Atkins, if she can play, is also great and makes her teammates better. The only thing missing for the Mystics is a killer instinct IMO. EDD, for all her talent, has never been a 'closer' type. Toliver is, but she's streaky and I don't think she can be that player consistently in 4-5 game series. She had some great moments in the 2016 finals along with some "what the heck was she thinking" moments too. I really think it'll be either Phoenix or Seattle that wins the whole thing, but it's a much more open field that we've seen in years.

Reaction Score
I want the Sun to finally win one but I really think it is the Storm's to lose, they're just so good this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I want the Sun to finally win one but I really think it is the Storm's to lose, they're just so good this season.
Seattle has the best player and the best leader. It's a smart pick.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They've got the best regular season record too. But the Sun have a shot at it!
Eight teams have as shot at it now; six will remain tomorrow and four on Friday.

Carnac

Reaction Score

LA Phoenix Final.

I hope not, but I've got my crying towel at the ready just in case. :confused:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minnesota has struggled this year, but they are riding a 1-game winning streak. I learned never to pick against Maya, even if her team is 18-16. This is an unlikely pick, but I'm going with Minnesota for at least another 24 hours.
I'm going with Diana tonight. I hope it doesn't jinx her. Geno will be in attendance.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going with Diana tonight. I hope it doesn't jinx her. Geno will be in attendance.
Don't pick against the GOAT? The next series should be great. Sue v. Dee, Stewie v. Brit, Natasha v. DeWanna.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

My prediction is:
R1

R2

R3

R4
Good picks in Rounds 1 and 2, though "close one" was a bit off the mark. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom