WNBA Announces 22-Game Schedule Starting in Late July in Florida | The Boneyard

WNBA Announces 22-Game Schedule Starting in Late July in Florida

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
From the NY Times

By Howard Megdal
  • June 15, 2020Updated 3:29 p.m. ET
W.N.B.A. players have ratified a plan between the league and the players’ union to play a 22-game season, beginning in late July, along with a full playoff schedule, all at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., the league announced Monday.

Players who opt into the 2020 season — they have until June 25 to notify their teams if they will participate — will receive 100 percent of their 2020 salaries, assuming the league is able to complete both the regular season and playoffs. This was a critical component to getting the players to agree, according to Terri Jackson, the executive director of the Women’s National Basketball Players Association.

“They understood that if players are committing to this, that we needed their commitment on that,” Jackson said in a phone interview Monday. “And so we got there.”

Many details remain to be sorted out: A formal start date has not been finalized, and the league has identified several other potential destinations as fallback positions if the plan to play at IMG Academy becomes untenable — either because of a change in local government policy or a spike in coronavirus infections in the area.

Both sides also expect to address living accommodations for players with varying family situations, as well as how the league’s return would affect activism related to police brutality and systemic racism — an issue that the N.B.A. is also working to address as it moves forward with its plan to complete the 2019-20 season.

“The players are launching a bold social justice platform,” Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said in a phone interview Monday. “And one of the positives of being all together is their ability to use that time as a call to action around driving change. This country definitely needs that.”

Nneka Ogwumike, the Los Angeles Sparks forward and the president of the W.N.B.P.A., said the union’s executive committee had already connected with groups that could help the players use the season as a platform for activism.

“We’ve always been the first in line to speak about social issues,” Ogwumike said. “And we see this as a really magical moment for us to turn to turn the unexpected into something that could be very beautiful, with 144 voices in the same place.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From the NY Times

By Howard Megdal
  • June 15, 2020Updated 3:29 p.m. ET
W.N.B.A. players have ratified a plan between the league and the players’ union to play a 22-game season, beginning in late July, along with a full playoff schedule, all at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., the league announced Monday.

Players who opt into the 2020 season — they have until June 25 to notify their teams if they will participate — will receive 100 percent of their 2020 salaries, assuming the league is able to complete both the regular season and playoffs. This was a critical component to getting the players to agree, according to Terri Jackson, the executive director of the Women’s National Basketball Players Association.

“They understood that if players are committing to this, that we needed their commitment on that,” Jackson said in a phone interview Monday. “And so we got there.”

Many details remain to be sorted out: A formal start date has not been finalized, and the league has identified several other potential destinations as fallback positions if the plan to play at IMG Academy becomes untenable — either because of a change in local government policy or a spike in coronavirus infections in the area.

Both sides also expect to address living accommodations for players with varying family situations, as well as how the league’s return would affect activism related to police brutality and systemic racism — an issue that the N.B.A. is also working to address as it moves forward with its plan to complete the 2019-20 season.

“The players are launching a bold social justice platform,” Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said in a phone interview Monday. “And one of the positives of being all together is their ability to use that time as a call to action around driving change. This country definitely needs that.”

Nneka Ogwumike, the Los Angeles Sparks forward and the president of the W.N.B.P.A., said the union’s executive committee had already connected with groups that could help the players use the season as a platform for activism.

“We’ve always been the first in line to speak about social issues,” Ogwumike said. “And we see this as a really magical moment for us to turn to turn the unexpected into something that could be very beautiful, with 144 voices in the same place.”

As an avid WNBA fan, this is welcomed news. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm excited for some women's basketball. Especially looking forward to how Mo Jeff and Stewie come back from injuries this year, to how Megan and Crystal do, to how Lou is on Dallas etc.

I root for all Husky alum in the WNBA.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just in time for the "Return of Sports Special" on ESPN at 9PM. The WNBA in a good position but I am guessing the show will be co-opted by the volatility of the MLB situation and the cracks in the NBA

Reaction Score
Worried about FL being the location. It seems no concept of social distancing exists there.
Yeah I was gonna say, great idea having it in a place that's going through an explosion of cases.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm excited for some women's basketball. Especially looking forward to how Mo Jeff and Stewie come back from injuries this year, to how Megan and Crystal do, to how Lou is on Dallas etc.

I root for all Husky alum in the WNBA.

Me too. :D I’m expecting Kiah Stokes to average a double double this season. She entering her 6th year in the league.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure what they will do for fans and what not, but hopefully lots of the games will be televised, either on NBA TV or ESPN or CBS Sports, or some other venue...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what they will do for fans and what not, but hopefully lots of the games will be televised, either on NBA TV or ESPN or CBS Sports, or some other venue...

or help fund them a bit with WNBA Live Access.

Reaction Score
I wonder which players may opt to sit out this year due to concerns about the virus, to participate in political actives, or maybe both. I think it is good there will be some sort of league this summer for continuity and a feeling of normalcy but I wonder with the WNBA and NBA what happens as soon as a handful of positive cases turn up which is almost inevitable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder which players may opt to sit out this year due to concerns about the virus, to participate in political actives, or maybe both. I think it is good there will be some sort of league this summer for continuity and a feeling of normalcy but I wonder with the WNBA and NBA what happens as soon as a handful of positive cases turn up which is almost inevitable.

The WNBA is infinitely more fragile than the NBA so I hope we do not have a talent exodus for either social justice or COVID19.

On the social justice side, players would be fooling themselves if they think they can impact the movement more if they disconnect from the WNBA then working coherently within the league.

On the COVID19 side, I really think if sufficient testing is done (possible in a pretty small league) and real isolation and tracking of movements is practiced, the medical risks should be very low and probably safer than individuals living in an unmonitored world going to the supermarket or other aspects of regular life

It seems the Bundeslegia had really done an excellent job and all US leagues should be copying all their best practices. I know their is a difference between outside sports but it seems the German Domestic Men's BB league is opening up a 10 game playoff type tournament in 10 days so we can learn alot from that.

One interesting wrinkle is they are pushing for tracking chips to monitor movements. (Secure and only used for contact tracing if there is a positive

Reaction Score
The statistic say the majority of professional athletes, who are typically young, and in excellent shape, provided they don’t have any underlying heath condition like say a Max Domi who is a diabetic, will not be affected by the virus. The coaches probably have more to be worried about than the players.

Reaction Score
WNBA live access is a bargain at 16.99, and you can watch the games on replay.
It's also called WNBA League Pass. I have enjoyed watching the games there for years. You can watch them anytime, which is great in case theres some other game on that you can't replay. Only time you can't watch live is when there's a blackout in your area.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's also called WNBA League Pass. I have enjoyed watching the games there for years. You can watch them anytime, which is great in case theres some other game on that you can't replay. Only time you can't watch live is when there's a blackout in your area.

and there are some features in the play window where you can find breakpoints to highlights for individual players so I like to track the UConn players and see their highlights (made shots or 3pt shots etc)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The WNBA is infinitely more fragile than the NBA so I hope we do not have a talent exodus for either social justice or COVID19.

On the social justice side, players would be fooling themselves if they think they can impact the movement more if they disconnect from the WNBA then working coherently within the league.

On the COVID19 side, I really think if sufficient testing is done (possible in a pretty small league) and real isolation and tracking of movements is practiced, the medical risks should be very low and probably safer than individuals living in an unmonitored world going to the supermarket or other aspects of regular life

It seems the Bundeslegia had really done an excellent job and all US leagues should be copying all their best practices. I know their is a difference between outside sports but it seems the German Domestic Men's BB league is opening up a 10 game playoff type tournament in 10 days so we can learn alot from that.

One interesting wrinkle is they are pushing for tracking chips to monitor movements. (Secure and only used for contact tracing if there is a positive

Well, as for working in the WNBA or going on your own Renee Montgomery has just opted for the later.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, as for working in the WNBA or going on your own Renee Montgomery has just opted for the later.

In the end, it is a personal decision as long as players don't try to stigmatize others for doing things differently.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

I think one difference is being in your community vs. being in Bradenton, Florida. When you're in Bradenton, you can't participate in a march or speak at a rally. For some players, that's going to be too hard to give up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think one difference is being in your community vs. being in Bradenton, Florida. When you're in Bradenton, you can't participate in a march or speak at a rally. For some players, that's going to be too hard to give up.

The question is what action leaves a bigger footprint in news and social media coverage. I just do not see individual (WNBA) players in a rally leaving a larger footprint than a collective message at the team level covered by ESPN or otherwise. But some players will just feel the need to do things as individuals which is fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom