WNBA 2024 season | Page 8 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Parker staying in Vegas for 1 more year:

Last big domino is EDD. Guessing she'll wind up in Phoenix.

Reaction Score

Pelton sees Chicago getting the better end of the trade with Phoenix. He makes what I think is important point when trying to handicap the handicapped Mercury:

'The other key question is what level of play Phoenix will get from Taurasi. If she's willing to move into a complementary role on offense after using 29% of the Mercury's plays last season, her highest mark since 2011,..."

Well that's why the newbie coach is the highest paid in the league. I'm sure he'll have no trouble convincing DT to do this.

Colton after looking at the finances makes it clear there's no way EDD ends up in Vslley of the Sun unless she takes a real haircut.

And finally, the GOAT's health

"The biggest question for Phoenix's hopes of advancing in the 2024 playoffs will be the team's health and depth. Taurasi played 26 games last season and has missed 35 of the Mercury's 108 games over the past three years

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Pelton sees Chicago getting the better end of the trade with Phoenix. He makes what I think is important point when trying to handicap the handicapped Mercury:

'The other key question is what level of play Phoenix will get from Taurasi. If she's willing to move into a complementary role on offense after using 29% of the Mercury's plays last season, her highest mark since 2011,..."

Well that's why the newbie coach is the highest paid in the league. I'm sure he'll have no trouble convincing DT to do this.

Colton after looking at the finances makes it clear there's no way EDD ends up in Vslley of the Sun unless she takes a real haircut.

And finally, the GOAT's health

"The biggest question for Phoenix's hopes of advancing in the 2024 playoffs will be the team's health and depth. Taurasi played 26 games last season and has missed 35 of the Mercury's 108 games over the past three years

Phoenix not landing EDD is a big loss IMO. Who is projected to play the 4 now that Turner is gone?

The author makes a great point about DT—she isn’t someone you want to run a large chunk of your offense through like was able to handle 10 years ago. Cloud/Copper are great pickups, but DT is far from being a top level player and Griner isn’t the same force she was 5-7 years ago. I think Phoenix could make the playoffs but don’t see them as legitimate title contenders if they’re relying on DT/Griner to be the stars that get them there. Not to mention having a completely unproven coach take over the reigns.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You only have to go back to the season before her incarceration, it wasn't nearly that long ago. She was unstoppable in the playoffs the year they were in the Finals against the Sky.
That’s true with offense, but I think she’s regressed quite a bit as a defender and shot blocker over the course of her career. Early in her career she seemed to really own the paint and dominate, but the last 5-6 years it looks like she’s going through the motions rather than a player who is dialed in and laser focused.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That’s true with offense, but I think she’s regressed quite a bit as a defender and shot blocker over the course of her career. Early in her career she seemed to really own the paint and dominate, but the last 5-6 years it looks like she’s going through the motions rather than a player who is dialed in and laser focused.
Okay, I'll buy that. Just looked at stats, her blocks have definitely fallen off since early in her career.

Reaction Score
Phoenix not landing EDD is a big loss IMO. Who is projected to play the 4 now that Turner is gone?

The author makes a great point about DT—she isn’t someone you want to run a large chunk of your offense through like was able to handle 10 years ago. Cloud/Copper are great pickups, but DT is far from being a top level player and Griner isn’t the same force she was 5-7 years ago. I think Phoenix could make the playoffs but don’t see them as legitimate title contenders if they’re relying on DT/Griner to be the stars that get them there. Not to mention having a completely unproven coach take over the reigns.
This was an either-or scenario. Would have traded for EDD instead of Copper?

Reaction Score
I have liked EDD as a player since she joined the league. We all know the story of leaving UConn and winding up at Delaware. I wondered in college if she was as good as her stats and sure enough, she was every bit as good as advertised in the W.

Her career trajectory reminds me somewhat of Lauren Jackson: when healthy she's easily one of the best in the world but health has been a concern the past few years and it's a variety of aliments.

I hope she is able and willing to come back another season or two and finish off a great career. I feel the same way about Parker in that I hope she stays healthy enough to play a full season and end her career in a fitting fashion.

Reaction Score

If she's undecided about her future, how is it that Phoenix didn't land her? Couldn't the same be said about Washington failing to retain her?

Reaction Score
If she's undecided about her future, how is it that Phoenix didn't land her? Couldn't the same be said about Washington failing to retain her?
I may be misinformed, but I believe Washington placed a code designation on her, meaning she wasn’t an unrestricted free agent. Phoenix would have had to acquire her via trade. Had they not cored her, she likely could’ve signed for the vet minimum to join forces with a team like Phoenix. I do wonder if she really wanted out of Washington, and is stepping away from the game because she doesn’t want to play for them, and nobody can trade for her. No cap space or available assets to set up a trade. Similar situation to Fowles back in her Chicago days, demanding a trade.

Or she genuinely is deciding if she wants to play at all moving forward. Wouldn’t be a surprise given her history and health. Either way, hope to see her back to cap off one of the more underrated spectacular careers.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
You only have to go back to the season before her incarceration, it wasn't nearly that long ago. She was unstoppable in the playoffs the year they were in the Finals against the Sky.
The fact that Griner played at all last year--5 months after she was released from Russia--is remarkable. The fact that she played at a very high level [though not at her highest level] is even more extraordinary. Also, no one would argue that the Mercury had a great roster (or coach) last year.

She is not getting any younger, but very interested to see how she performs under new coach, new roster, and with a full offseason to heal and prep.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I may be misinformed, but I believe Washington placed a code designation on her, meaning she wasn’t an unrestricted free agent. Phoenix would have had to acquire her via trade. Had they not cored her, she likely could’ve signed for the vet minimum to join forces with a team like Phoenix. I do wonder if she really wanted out of Washington, and is stepping away from the game because she doesn’t want to play for them, and nobody can trade for her. No cap space or available assets to set up a trade. Similar situation to Fowles back in her Chicago days, demanding a trade.

Or she genuinely is deciding if she wants to play at all moving forward. Wouldn’t be a surprise given her history and health. Either way, hope to see her back to cap off one of the more underrated spectacular careers.
Correct. Washington cored her so they would not lose anything if she elected to play elsewhere, and if she sits out the entire season, they can core her again next year.
Delle Donne received the core designation from the Mystics last month. A core player loses her unrestricted free agent status, giving her team exclusive negotiating rights. The player is automatically offered a one-year supermax deal (that is $241,984 for 2024); her only other option to play elsewhere that season is via trade.

Reaction Score

Didn't Washington offer her a one year deal as well? That's what I was referring to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom