WNBA 2024 season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have to say I'm surprised that Seattle appears to be one of the top free agent destinations. Not sure what they're selling, but it's working.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I have to say I'm surprised that Seattle appears to be one of the top free agent destinations. Not sure what they're selling, but it's working.
The organization. They have great facilities, ownership buy-in, fan base, and arena. And while I think Quinn's longterm efficacy is an open question, for whatever reason the players seem to really love and respect her. (And it probably doesn't hurt that the only non-dreary months in Seattle pretty much perfectly overlap with the W's season! ;))

Reaction Score
The organization. They have great facilities, ownership buy-in, fan base, and arena. And while I think Quinn's longterm efficacy is an open question, for whatever reason the players seem to really love and respect her. (And it probably doesn't hurt that the only non-dreary months in Seattle pretty much perfectly overlap with the W's season! ;))
Agree 100%. Facilities is a large factor for players and this shouldn't be overlooked. I recall seeing Katie Lou expressing excitement in having her own space in a locker room when the news of her joining Indiana was announced.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Facilities is a large factor for players and this shouldn't be overlooked. I recall seeing Katie Lou expressing excitement in having her own space in a locker room when the news of her joining Indiana was announced.
@TheFarmFan

One of the detriments of the Chicago franchise is not having its own training facilities. In fact, the team has to travel a fair amount to even get to them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A lineup of Diggins-Smith, Loyd, Whitcomb, Nneka and Magbegor is solid. Question is, can Quinn coach them up enough and I think team chemistry is also a question mark with SDS in the lineup. They should win a lot more than 11 games this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lineup of Diggins-Smith, Loyd, Whitcomb, Nneka and Magbegor is solid. Question is, can Quinn coach them up enough and I think team chemistry is also a question mark with SDS in the lineup. They should win a lot more than 11 games this year.
Potential to be really good defensively, in addition to having multiple scorers.

Reaction Score
The effectiveness of Quinn as a coach is certainly up for debate. I don't think SDS causes chemistry problems directly but certainly reacts poorly when chemistry is off. She had an excellent year 1 with the Mercury and there appeared to be no problems then before the chaotic year 2 where I think the issues were much deeper than just her attitude.

Yes, I admit to being a SDS fan overall and think she's a terrific player whose emotions can be perceived as both positive and negative depending on the situation.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Are the last big dominos to fall EDD/Parker?

EDD wants Mercury or Aces. Guessing Parker wants Aces as well. Both have injury histories. EDD is probably a better player at this point, Parker is a better fit though with the lineup. My guess is Parker ends up in Vegas, EDD in Phoenix (she'd fit in well alongside BG).

Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan

One of the detriments of the Chicago franchise is not having its own training facilities. In fact, the team has to travel a fair amount to even get to them.
Yikes. Chicago isn't exactly a small suburb that's easy to navigate from what I remember.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
The effectiveness of Quinn as a coach is certainly up for debate. I don't think SDS causes chemistry problems directly but certainly reacts poorly when chemistry is off. She had an excellent year 1 with the Mercury and there appeared to be no problems then before the chaotic year 2 where I think the issues were much deeper than just her attitude.

Yes, I admit to being a SDS fan overall and think she's a terrific player whose emotions can be perceived as both positive and negative depending on the situation.
Those are fair points, but her teams in the WNBA never seem to have strong chemistry and often underperform. She's had 1 notable playoff run in 8 full seasons of play. Aside from that her teams have never made it to the semis.

Reaction Score

EDD wants Mercury or Aces. Guessing Parker wants Aces as well. Both have injury histories. EDD is probably a better player at this point, Parker is a better fit though with the lineup. My guess is Parker ends up in Vegas, EDD in Phoenix (she'd fit in well alongside BG).
Idk I think Parker is probably the better player at this point. She's more likely to be available and is more likely to defend. Both play limited minutes but Parker is the better versatile offer as a 4/5.

Reaction Score
Those are fair points, but her teams in the WNBA never seem to have strong chemistry and often underperform. She's had 1 notable playoff run in 8 full seasons of play. Aside from that her teams have never made it to the semis.
You are correct, but when has Tulsa/Dallas been competitive at that level? I believe she was part, but definitely not all, of the dysfunction in the organization, and the same for Phoenix.

I will say she needs to get this right in Seattle in terms of performance and leadership.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Unlike in Tulsa/Dallas, and to an extent Phx (where she was traded after saying she did not want to play for the Wings anymore); this is first time SDD was fully in control of picking her destination. I would think she knows Loyd through ND/USA basketball connections; and Nneka made her decision to go to SEattle knowing SDD would be there. This doesn't mean the result will be any different, but there was a lot more control for her in who she'd be surrounded by.

Reaction Score
Tina should now have WNBA BINGO, as this is her fifth team in as many years. Actually, come to think of it, she's played for half the teams in the league. I wonder of any other players can say that?

KLS:
2019 Chicago.
2020 Dallas.
2021 Seattle.
2022 Los Angeles.
2023 did not play.
2024 Indiana.

Reaction Score

Las Vegas makes sense to me. They have the depth to manage EDD minutes. They have the depth to handle EDD potentially missing games with recurring issues due to lyme disease, spinal stenosis, and previous 2 back surgeries.

Reaction Score
My initial guess on depth chart:

Cloud/Sug
DT/Allen/Peddy
Sophie/Joens
B. Turner/Onyenwere
Griner

Given DT's health though, I think you will end up seeing Allen starting a lot. [And she may get to start over Sophie]

Not to mention Phoenix has #3 pick in draft. Is Brink available? Paige? Cardoso?
Yeah I can see Allen getting Diana's minutes or playing the 3 or 4 spot in case Sophie or Turner are having foul trouble or off nights. It is going to be interesting with Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Coach Quinn got some players now. I hope everyone can stay healthy, buy in, and play together. Seattle could be a force in the West.
Not to mention young talent like Horston being mentored by this group. An unbelievably awesome situation for a player going into their second season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Well, those are both interesting:

- The DeShields WNBA tour continues with a second (?) stint in Chitown. Will her body hold up? And she's very much a wing -- same position as Ms. Copper.

and
  • The Taya Reimer training camp signing brings a bit of a smile. It's been an interesting trip for the ND alumni, who left for Michigan State, and worked her way around various leagues. She's now performing pretty well in Turkey, averaging around 13.00 ppg for Botas.
  • Guess who else plays for Botas? One Lindsay Allen, who just signed a contract with the Sky and was a college teammate at Notre Dame with -- you guessed it -- Taya Reimer. You've got to think LA had some recommendations for this signing. If Reimer can stick here, she'll love it because she's from Indiana.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Unlike in Tulsa/Dallas, and to an extent Phx (where she was traded after saying she did not want to play for the Wings anymore); this is first time SDD was fully in control of picking her destination. I would think she knows Loyd through ND/USA basketball connections; and Nneka made her decision to go to SEattle knowing SDD would be there. This doesn't mean the result will be any different, but there was a lot more control for her in who she'd be surrounded by.
Completely agree with this point. Plus I've read that SD-S and Quinn know each and have mutual respect for each other.

As @MSSportsGuy brought up, the situation in Phoenix was the result of many things which included players, coaches and probably staff.
SD-S has a very directed attitude, for better and for worse. She made her choice for Seattle and I think this lineup can cause some damage.
Oh, and this is a p.s. that might help: Sami Whitcomb may be one of the best teammates in the league, which will help mesh all these personalities.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Well, those are both interesting:

- The DeShields WNBA tour continues with a second (?) stint in Chitown. Will her body hold up? And she's very much a wing -- same position as Ms. Copper.

and
  • The Taya Reimer training camp signing brings a bit of a smile. It's been an interesting trip for the ND alumni, who left for Michigan State, and worked her way around various leagues. She's now performing pretty well in Turkey, averaging around 13.00 ppg for Botas.
  • Guess who else plays for Botas? One Lindsay Allen, who just signed a contract with the Sky and was a college teammate at Notre Dame with -- you guessed it -- Taya Reimer. You've got to think LA had some recommendations for this signing. If Reimer can stick here, she'll love it because she's from Indiana.

I always enjoy seeing some throw back players continue to grind eventually make the league even if it takes several years (ex. Latoya Pringle, Rebekah Gardner). Taya had a roller coaster collegiate career and a fair amount of drama when she left ND, but I'm glad to see she's still hooping.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I always enjoy seeing some throw back players continue to grind eventually make the league even if it takes several years (ex. Latoya Pringle, Rebekah Gardner). Taya had a roller coaster collegiate career and a fair amount of drama when she left ND, but I'm glad to see she's still hooping.
Taya had a solid first two years at The Bend and played in a national championship game. There was some some "D" going on (drama, for what it's worth and disagreement) at the end, but ND coaches and administrative staff respected the scholarship and Taya is a Notre Dame grad. And, yes, she's stuck with it. I can easily see she and Lindsay renewing acquaintances....LA is a very forthcoming, easy-to-get along person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom