WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 30 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
True. Not bad at all but I was hoping for a packed house, especially with the Lynx celebrating our 25 greatest players. Boston is going to be a solid player in the WNBA.
Speaking of, here's a shot of said 25 players (which included two former Irish: Dev Peters and Kayla McBride)

Reaction Score
I'm still an advocate of putting one and one together. The state between her home and where she played for the Gamecocks. Dream had 12 1st half turnovers with no true point guard. @Geew1992, who played point last night: Allisha Gray and Haley Jones off the bench?

You are correct. They also had Durr bring the ball up at times.

Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting to see what Coach Reeve does with Dorka once Miller comes back. I have been happy to see Dorka getting the amount of minutes she has been getting. Her confidence has increased with those quality minutes on the floor. Great question on what happens when Miller is healthy. Right now, all options are on the table.

As for the point guard play here in Minnesota or overall in the WNBA, I am on the fence with that. Sure, it helps to have a "point guard" a true point guard but those players are so rare now. Give me a player that can shoot the ball, dibble penetrate, and pass the ball to the right player, we gonna be okay. Of course, I gotta have players who can catch the ball but that is a topic for another day.
If MoJett would of stayed (thought she should have) that team will be so much better. She did so well for them last year

Reaction Score
She spaces better than Stokes offensively, you still have to close out on her with her ability to shoot, pass or drive and it opens the paint for Wilson. Stokes brings different skills to the table and has found her niche as a defense/rebounding oriented big, and she fits in great.

Back to Parker though, she also provides experience, leadership and brings high IQ on the court. Vegas is still a younger franchise and having that veteran leadership out there is huge. Plus she’s one of the best to ever play—if she gets into a rhythm she could be a huge asset. She clearly is trying to win another title and went to a place she knew it could get done. I don’t that’s a secret. I think she’d rather be a bigger factor than she has been thus far but is putting the team first and figuring out where she fits.
Parker doesn't care about playing 22 min on a team that is talented and #1 in the league because once playoffs come those minutes will go up. Kinda upset she went there because I thought she was more competitive then that. (Maya Moore will never)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
True. Not bad at all but I was hoping for a packed house, especially with the Lynx celebrating our 25 greatest players. Boston is going to be a solid player in the WNBA.
Boston is already a solid player. I think it's not too long before she is a "great" player.

I think her "ceiling" is a Sylvia Fowles career--someone who will always be incredibly efficient from the field, a high level rebounder, an excellent defender--and likely a multiple time Olympian [and I think she has the talent to be a WNBA MVP like Fowles too].

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Mea culpa...thought I saw an "8" there.
Thought Berger played a tight game in 15 minutes: 4 pts, 4 assists and looks in control when she has the ball.
Sides is bringing her along bit by bit.

I'm surprised Destanni Henderson has not gotten a chance/call elsewhere.
Berger is so solid and I think is going to be an excellent WNBA player.

I think people sleep a bit on how talented Kelsey Mitchell is simply because Indiana has been so bad. She is a three level scorer and remarkably quick. Her shooting can be a tad streaky, but she's currently a very respectable 42.7% from the field and an excellent 41.7% from three point range--granted a small sample size. In seven games, she's shot above 40% in 5 of them, and interestingly, the Fever are 1-1 in the games where she shot below 40%.

Basically: Kelsey Mitchell is good at basketball, and it's nice to see her with some talent in the post that is being utilized well.

Reaction Score
Parker doesn't care about playing 22 min on a team that is talented and #1 in the league because once playoffs come those minutes will go up. Kinda upset she went there because I thought she was more competitive then that. (Maya Moore will never)
She was pretty clear that she wanted to be closer to her family and still play basketball. Her ideal location would be Los Angeles but the Sparks already burned that bridge. So the next closest place would be Las Vegas.

I'm not sure I understand the Maya comparison. She came into a franchise that she was the missing piece for and her team was always among the most talented in the league. So there's no proof that she wouldn't have done the same. If anything Maya would probably understand more than anyone what it's like to sacrifice one's individual glory and spotlight for someone else.

Reaction Score
She was pretty clear that she wanted to be closer to her family and still play basketball. Her ideal location would be Los Angeles but the Sparks already burned that bridge. So the next closest place would be Las Vegas.

I'm not sure I understand the Maya comparison. She came into a franchise that she was the missing piece for and her team was always among the most talented in the league. So there's no proof that she wouldn't have done the same. If anything Maya would probably understand more than anyone what it's like to sacrifice one's individual glory and spotlight for someone else.
I compare them too because most was saying CP was better but also Maya would love to compete against the best not play with the best. Also to me being close to family which I understand but it was a time where she said she wanted to play for the team which she did and won. Why not stay and try to win another one. Female LeBron

Reaction Score
1.Karlie Samuelson • LAS.774
2.Jackie Young • LVA.708
3.Brittney Griner • PHO.699
4.Naz Hillmon • ATL.696
5.Alysha Clark • LVA.692
6.Aliyah Boston • IND.684
7.Alanna Smith • CHI.682
8.Breanna Stewart • NYL.651
9.Kayla Thornton • NYL.649
10.Nneka Ogwumike • LAS.634
11.A'ja Wilson • LVA.623
12.Brionna Jones • CON.616
13.Lexie Brown • LAS.603
14.Rebecca Allen • CON.600
15.Satou Sabally • DAL.593
16.Tiffany Mitchell • MIN.592
17.Tiffany Hayes • CON.592
18.Elena Delle Donne • WAS.588
19.Jessica Shepard • MIN.582
20.Chelsea Gray • LVA.582

This is True Shooting %. It starts with effective FG%, which takes regular FG% and incorporates 3's made and attempted (if 2 players have the same FG%, the one that makes more 3s has a higher effective %). True Shooting % also incorporates getting to the line and FT%.

There are flaws with this statistic, like all others, but I think it is a better measurement than using FG% and 3 pt FG%, because you cannot tell what % of the player's overall shots are 3s (the higher that is, it will dilute the FG%). This also includes how often you get to the line and how effective you are when you do, which are also important criteria.

One aspect that needs to be pointed out in defense of some of the low FG% shooters is that they often have the ball as the shot/game clock winds down. Also, teammates are less willing shooters and therefore there is defensive help on the primary shooters. This often leads to hockey assists as they swing the ball to avoid the double-teams.

Lastly, even though we are generally all big fans of Karlie and her sister and her lead over 2nd place is enormous, it's still a little easier for players who don't play as many minutes and are not the primary option (from a defensive perspective as well) to have a higher FG% of any type.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great points. Bringing Moore in for comparison isn't fair and comes across like a cheap shot. These athletes sacrifice a lot more than we realize. Parker having the ability to make a professional decision that accommodates her personal situation is something players deserve to have.

Reaction Score
If MoJett would of stayed (thought she should have) that team will be so much better. She did so well for them last year
Yup. I thought Mo was playing well also. I wish that we would have resigned her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting to see what Coach Reeve does with Dorka once Miller comes back. I have been happy to see Dorka getting the amount of minutes she has been getting. Her confidence has increased with those quality minutes on the floor. Great question on what happens when Miller is healthy. Right now, all options are on the table.

As for the point guard play here in Minnesota or overall in the WNBA, I am on the fence with that. Sure, it helps to have a "point guard" a true point guard but those players are so rare now. Give me a player that can shoot the ball, dibble penetrate, and pass the ball to the right player, we gonna be okay. Of course, I gotta have players who can catch the ball but that is a topic for another day.
I think a regular rotation of Dorka, Jess, Napheesa, and Diamond would be good. Five minutes each half for Milic. Miller, Powers, and Carleton can all play the 2 or 3.

I'm not sure what makes a player a "true" point guard, but the Minnesota problem is that outside of Allen, they don't really have any guards who are both good and willing passers. Allen is the only guard I'd put in that category, and she hasn't been playing much (8 minutes a game lately), which is a head-scratcher to me. I'd say that Shepard, Juhasz, and Collier are all better and more willing passers than Mitchell, KMac, and Powers.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
1.Karlie Samuelson • LAS.774
2.Jackie Young • LVA.708
3.Brittney Griner • PHO.699
4.Naz Hillmon • ATL.696
5.Alysha Clark • LVA.692
6.Aliyah Boston • IND.684
7.Alanna Smith • CHI.682
8.Breanna Stewart • NYL.651
9.Kayla Thornton • NYL.649
10.Nneka Ogwumike • LAS.634
11.A'ja Wilson • LVA.623
12.Brionna Jones • CON.616
13.Lexie Brown • LAS.603
14.Rebecca Allen • CON.600
15.Satou Sabally • DAL.593
16.Tiffany Mitchell • MIN.592
17.Tiffany Hayes • CON.592
18.Elena Delle Donne • WAS.588
19.Jessica Shepard • MIN.582
20.Chelsea Gray • LVA.582

This is True Shooting %. It starts with effective FG%, which takes regular FG% and incorporates 3's made and attempted (if 2 players have the same FG%, the one that makes more 3s has a higher effective %). True Shooting % also incorporates getting to the line and FT%.

There are flaws with this statistic, like all others, but I think it is a better measurement than using FG% and 3 pt FG%, because you cannot tell what % of the player's overall shots are 3s (the higher that is, it will dilute the FG%). This also includes how often you get to the line and how effective you are when you do, which are also important criteria.

One aspect that needs to be pointed out in defense of some of the low FG% shooters is that they often have the ball as the shot/game clock winds down. Also, teammates are less willing shooters and therefore there is defensive help on the primary shooters. This often leads to hockey assists as they swing the ball to avoid the double-teams.

Lastly, even though we are generally all big fans of Karlie and her sister and her lead over 2nd place is enormous, it's still a little easier for players who don't play as many minutes and are not the primary option (from a defensive perspective as well) to have a higher FG% of any type.

Thanks for sharing, and wild that the player with the best effective shooting rate wasn't even signed to a season contract until a few days ago. Love to see Karl keep at it and keep developing as a player.

And you're right that it favors second and third options - apart from all-stars Griner, Stewie, and Nneka, none of the top 10 are the go-to scoring threats on their respective teams.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing, and wild that the player with the best effective shooting rate wasn't even signed to a season contract until a few days ago. Love to see Karl keep at it and keep developing as a player.

And you're right that it favors second and third options - apart from all-stars Griner, Stewie, and Nneka, none of the top 10 are the go-to scoring threats on their respective teams.
Another thing about Karlie is that Curt Miller almost always has her in the last 5 minutes of a close game. Reliable and talks and directs teammates, a lot, on the court

Reaction Score
I think a regular rotation of Dorka, Jess, Napheesa, and Diamond would be good. Five minutes each half for Milic. Miller, Powers, and Carleton can all play the 2 or 3.

I'm not sure what makes a player a "true" point guard, but the Minnesota problem is that outside of Allen, they don't really have any guards who are both good and willing passers. Allen is the only guard I'd put in that category, and she hasn't been playing much (8 minutes a game lately), which is a head-scratcher to me. I'd say that Shepard, Juhasz, and Collier are all better and more willing passers than Mitchell, KMac, and Powers.

Not too bad of a starting four. I am good with Dorka being in the rotation when Diamond comes back. Having Phee playing the three spot, depending on the team we are playing against, has been pretty even. Jess, depending on the opponent, is either hot or cold. Dorka has been a positive in the +/- side of things. I am not sure what is going on with Milic and Carleton. With Powers, she gives the team another offensive boost but since her 20 point/24 minute game against Phoenix, has been sitting. Sure, she had a 16 minute game against Dallas and kicked in 8 points and was benched in the 4th quarter.

As for "true" point guard. It really just comes down to "eye" test. To me a true point guard likes to pass first and facilitate the offense. Get their points within the flow of the offense. When I think of a true point guard, I am thinking of players like Sue Bird, Courtney Vandersloot, Ticha Penicheiro, and Teresa Weatherspoon. Just to name a few. They are looking to pass first and will get their points within the offensive flow. Sue and Courtney were better shooters than Ticha and Teresa but all were great floor generals.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
On the bright side, Dorka is playing exceptionally well for a rookie center. How is coach Reeves going to take her out of the line-up when Diamond Miller is ready to play again? Maybe play Miller at the shooting guard spot?

But the key to Minnesota's ills is point guard. And the WNBA, in general, does not even seem to notice how few good point guards it has. Caitlin Clark, Paige Beckers, Nika Muhl and Olivia Miles can't get there soon enough In my view.

Agree about the lack of PGs. There really haven't been any standouts since Gray entered the draft in 2014. Jefferson looked like she was going to be great but then injuries have derailed her career. Ionescu is a heck of a talent but she's effectively a SG now in NY.

The WNBA has always been far more loaded in the front court than back court, but with Bueckers/Clark/Miles all coming in, they should help balance the talent. I'm not seeing Muhl as a strong WNBA PG though. She's got good size and is a solid facilitator but is turnover prone and isn't a scoring threat. I think Raven Johnson has potential to be a solid pro, though she's not at the level of Bueckers/Clark/Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84

Top Bottom