WNBA 2021 Draft Lottery Friday Dec 4 (During Louisville / DePaul game) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2021 Draft Lottery Friday Dec 4 (During Louisville / DePaul game)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Unlike some, I'm fairly happy w/ Jordin Canada's prospects in the future. But Mangakahia to the Storm at #11 is certainly intriguing...

Reaction Score
Unlike some, I'm fairly happy w/ Jordin Canada's prospects in the future. But Mangakahia to the Storm at #11 is certainly intriguing...
A point guard who can actually shoot, like The present all time GOAT point guards. It would allow Seattle to continue to spread the floor. Canada is a great backup, but her lack of any outside game will always be a problem.

Reaction Score
If the 30-pt. effort was not an anomoly, I could see Collier being a great addtion to the Liberty and Ionescu.

Maybe it's me, but I can't see Dallas investing the 2nd pick on Aari McDonald, when they still have Ty Harris and MoJeff. I could see them going after Awak Kuier with a first-round choice. Given her talent and their need at center, that could be the #2 pick on promise alone.

Erin Boley to Minnesota at 8? If I'm Coach Reeve, I see how another transfer associated with Notre Dame -- Jessica Shepard -- is doing after rehabbing that knee injury. She's 6'4" and I believe is much more of a multi-faceted player than Boley. Plus, she plays well/nice with Napheesa Collier. Lastly, Coach Reeve is both a fan and mentor to Jess.

Thanks for sending. Good article to peruse on a really rainy Saturday here in northern NJ.
I think people have a misconcieved notion that Boley is a one trick pony because thats all that was asked of her when playing with Sabally, Ionescu, and Hebard. Theres a reason she was the top recruit in the country. Shes dynamic being able to play anywhere 2, 3, or 4. Shes showing off her inside game this year and is stout defensively thanks to her athleticism.

Reaction Score
If the 30-pt. effort was not an anomaly

44 pt. She really hasn’t had a bad game so far this season against lesser competition. Tonight’s game against TAMU will be interesting.

I could see Collier being a great addtion to the Liberty and Ionescu.

The new coach wants to play positionless ball or small ball... SF’s are the PF’s. They already have Stokes and maybe Zahui, maybe Han.... and the big from Louisville.

I wonder if the Liberty would consider trading #1 for #2 & #5.

Maybe it's me, but I can't see Dallas investing the 2nd pick on Aari McDonald, when they still have Ty Harris and MoJeff.

Plus they were starting Mabrey with decent results.

I could see them going after Awak Kuier with a first-round choice. Given her talent and their need at center, that could be the #2 pick on promise alone.

Only if she‘s enthusiastic about playing in the WNBA. She seems to have avoided attending college in America. Internationals who attend American colleges are much more reliable in showing up to the WNBA.

Remember all the hype about Vadeeva being a lottery pick? She fell to #11 because nobody could tell if she was enthusiastic about the WNBA. It could be she only told the Sparks she was enthusiastic in the hopes of going there. Conspiracy theory.

Erin Boley to Minnesota at 9?

No no no no no. There should be something better at #9. Hope for Mack or Kuier to fall or find a gem of a guard like Gondrezick or Kiana Williams.

If I'm Coach Reeve, I see how another transfer associated with Notre Dame -- Jessica Shepard -- is doing after rehabbing that knee injury. She's 6'4" and I believe is much more of a multi-faceted player than Boley. Plus, she plays well/nice with Napheesa Collier. Lastly, Coach Reeve is both a fan and mentor to Jess.

Boley strikes me as a KML type of player, not a post like Shepard. No offense, but I don’t want that type of player. She’s welcome to prove me wrong though (on a different team). Mabrey has proved me wrong so far.

Thanks for sending. Good article to peruse on a really rainy Saturday here in northern NJ.

I know who does those picks for that site and they’re pretty helpless without input from Rebkell.The Boley pick must have been their attempt at independence.;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think people have a misconcieved notion that Boley is a one trick pony because thats all that was asked of her when playing with Sabally, Ionescu, and Hebard. Theres a reason she was the top recruit in the country. Shes dynamic being able to play anywhere 2, 3, or 4. Shes showing off her inside game this year and is stout defensively thanks to her athleticism.

Hi there. Thanks for your opinion on Erin Boley. I don't know if you noticed my descriptor but I'm a Notre Dame fan, as well as a WCBB fan. I try to be as (somewhat) objective as I can be in regards to talent, even if they have transferred from my alma mater. :rolleyes:

As such, I'm very familiar with Ms. Boley. As a frosh at ND, she was not asked to do much that was entirely different from you describe: come in and shoot, while Bri Turner and Kat Westbeld did most of the hard labor in the paint. Fellow frosh Jackie Young (think of that!) spelled one of the Irish guards -- Marina Mabrey, Arikie O or Lindsey Allen. Nice growth situation for both Boley and Young. She did some grunt work when Turner went down with an ACL in the NCAA's but then she left for Oregon.

Personally, I don't think she's dynamic enough to fill a "2." In fact, I'm not certain she can handle most 3's in the WNBA. If she shows us differently between now and the draft, all power to her. But I certainy didn't see that part of her athletic ability and/or game at ND and have not seen it up to this point.

Never really got to know much of the young woman but she seems like a good teammate. As someone said, there's always a place for an outside shooter. If she can show some more, great. but I don't see her in the Top Ten at this point.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Looking at each of the lotto teams:
1. New York-they need a lot of help. They went 2-20 which is the worst record of all time in WNBA history. The only likely reliable piece they have is Ionescu, everyone else has been very inconsistent. The rest of their guard core is solid but not stellar with Clarendon/Durr/Nurse/Jones. They should take the best player in the draft, which likely looks like it'll be Charli Collier if she comes out. Collier at 6-5 has great inside out skills and could be a great fit alongside Ionescu, especially in the pick and roll. Collier is one of the weaker #1 draft picks though IMO...she likely will need a year or two to get up to speed IMO. If Collier isn't picked #1, I think the next best prospect is Rennia Davis. Davis would likely compete with Walker/Willoughby for playing time and I'm not sure she's better than either. Could always roll the dice with Kuier who I haven't seen but is consistently ranked high.

2. Dallas-they have a ton of talent and could be a powerhouse in a couple of years. Collier would be an absolutely perfect fit here if she declares and somehow falls to #2. IMO they need a big. Alarie didn't play very well as a rookie and Ndour was maybe the most overpriced signing last off season. I haven't seen a ton of her, but I think Natasha Mack would be a good fit here. She's 6-4, athletic and has great length. Kuier could work, too. I'm not as high on Rennia Davis here since Dallas is loaded with wings. A couple of mocks have McDonald at #2, but I think the last thing Dallas needs is a shoot first PG who isn't a great facilitator. They also have Ty Harris who I think may improve significantly by next season. Jefferson has been very injury prone but is stellar when healthy too. This draft really is bad if it feels like pulling teeth for a suitable #2 pick.

3. Atlanta-I think they have a very solid looking roster with Brown/Williams/Carter/Laney/Williams as a potential starting 5, plus Johnson/Stricklen/Billings. I'd probably go with Aari McDonald here who could be an explosive guard off the bench. She'd be a great backup for Williams/Carter. Guirantes would be a solid option here too. Davis fills a similar niche to Stricklen so I don't think she gets picked at 3. Other mocks think height is more of a priority for Atlanta, so either of Kuier or Mack could be chosen.

4. Indiana-I think Rennia Davis is a great fit here. Indiana could use more height on the wing and I think her style of play will pair well backing up Victoria Vivians or Kelsey Mitchell. Indiana has a talented roster if everyone is back and heathy. Depth chart may be:
PG-Wheeler/Allemund
SG-Mitchell/Mitchell
SF-Vivians/Davis
PF-Dupree/Cox
C-McCowan/Achonwa

5. Dallas-if the Wings don't take Mack/Kuier at 2, they'll likely take one of them here. Since I have them taking Mack already, I'd probably go with Arella Guirantes here. Explosive guard from Rutgers usually pan out quite well in the pros, and Guirantes could be one of the better players from this class.

6. Phoenix-DT is likely retiring in the next couple years, Griner doesn't seem fully invested in playing, Diggins just turned 30 and Hartley is coming off an ACL. At 6, I think Phoenix should take Guirantes is if available, but if not my next choice would be Didi Richards of Baylor. Richards isn't a big scorer but she is an outstanding facilitator and defender. I think she'd be an excellent sub off the bench for the Mercury and would help the Big 3 get their shots.

7. Dallas-Awful draft to have 3 picks in the top 7....might be high for her, but I'd pick N'dea Jones here. Strong physical forward who is a terrific rebounder and could provide good minutes off the bench.

8. Chicago-they are loaded on the wing and have a number of solid posts. I'd go with Dana Evans here. Suitable backup for Vandersloot and provides an offensive punch. A little undersized, but we saw how that worked out for Dangerfield last year. Westbrook is also an option, but she feels like much more of an unknown right now.

9. Minnesota-I'm not sure she'll fall this low, but Michaela Onyenwere would be a great fit here as a 3.

10. LA-I'm guessing Evina Westbrook wont drop this far, but if she declares and does, she'd be a good pickup at 10. If she falls this far she likely needs some refinement to her game, but she has the tools to get there as a big 5-11 guard who can create for herself and others. LA also doesn't need production from her in her first year or two.

11. Seattle-the two mocks I've seen have Tiana Mangakahia here, so I'll stick with that trend and pick her.

12. Vegas-I don't see anyone at 12 making an impact on Vegas, but I'll throw out Dijonai Carrington here since she's a big guard who can score and rebound. I think people are underestimating her and she has the tools to be a first rounder.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
1. New York-they need a lot of help. They went 2-20 which is the worst record of all time in WNBA history. The only likely reliable piece they have is Ionescu, everyone else has been very inconsistent. The rest of their guard core is solid but not stellar with Clarendon/Durr/Nurse/Jones. They should take the best player in the draft, which likely looks like it'll be Charli Collier if she comes out. Collier at 6-5 has great inside out skills and could be a great fit alongside Ionescu, especially in the pick and roll. Collier is one of the weaker #1 draft picks though IMO...she likely will need a year or two to get up to speed IMO. If Collier isn't picked #1, I think the next best prospect is Rennia Davis. Davis would likely compete with Walker/Willoughby for playing time and I'm not sure she's better than either. Could always roll the dice with Kuier who I haven't seen but is consistently ranked high.

2. Dallas-they have a ton of talent and could be a powerhouse in a couple of years. Collier would be an absolutely perfect fit here if she declares and somehow falls to #2. IMO they need a big. Alarie didn't play very well as a rookie and Ndour was maybe the most overpriced signing last off season. I haven't seen a ton of her, but I think Natasha Mack would be a good fit here. She's 6-4, athletic and has great length. Kuier could work, too. I'm not as high on Rennia Davis here since Dallas is loaded with wings. A couple of mocks have McDonald at #2, but I think the last thing Dallas needs is a shoot first PG who isn't a great facilitator. They also have Ty Harris who I think may improve significantly by next season. Jefferson has been very injury prone but is stellar when healthy too. This draft really is bad if it feels like pulling teeth for a suitable #2 pick.

3. Atlanta-I think they have a very solid looking roster with Brown/Williams/Carter/Laney/Williams as a potential starting 5, plus Johnson/Stricklen/Billings. I'd probably go with Aari McDonald here who could be an explosive guard off the bench. She'd be a great backup for Williams/Carter. Guirantes would be a solid option here too. Davis fills a similar niche to Stricklen so I don't think she gets picked at 3. Other mocks think height is more of a priority for Atlanta, so either of Kuier or Mack could be chosen.

4. Indiana-I think Rennia Davis is a great fit here. Indiana could use more height on the wing and I think her style of play will pair well backing up Victoria Vivians or Kelsey Mitchell. Indiana has a talented roster if everyone is back and heathy. Depth chart may be:
PG-Wheeler/Allemund
SG-Mitchell/Mitchell
SF-Vivians/Davis
PF-Dupree/Cox
C-McCowan/Achonwa

5. Dallas-if the Wings don't take Mack/Kuier at 2, they'll likely take one of them here. Since I have them taking Mack already, I'd probably go with Arella Guirantes here. Explosive guard from Rutgers usually pan out quite well in the pros, and Guirantes could be one of the better players from this class.

6. Phoenix-DT is likely retiring in the next couple years, Griner doesn't seem fully invested in playing, Diggins just turned 30 and Hartley is coming off an ACL. At 6, I think Phoenix should take Guirantes is if available, but if not my next choice would be Didi Richards of Baylor. Richards isn't a big scorer but she is an outstanding facilitator and defender. I think she'd be an excellent sub off the bench for the Mercury and would help the Big 3 get their shots.

7. Dallas-Awful draft to have 3 picks in the top 7....might be high for her, but I'd pick N'dea Jones here. Strong physical forward who is a terrific rebounder and could provide good minutes off the bench.

8. Chicago-they are loaded on the wing and have a number of solid posts. I'd go with Dana Evans here. Suitable backup for Vandersloot and provides an offensive punch. A little undersized, but we saw how that worked out for Dangerfield last year. Westbrook is also an option, but she feels like much more of an unknown right now.

9. Minnesota-I'm not sure she'll fall this low, but Michaela Onyenwere would be a great fit here as a 3.

10. LA-I'm guessing Evina Westbrook wont drop this far, but if she declares and does, she'd be a good pickup at 10. If she falls this far she likely needs some refinement to her game, but she has the tools to get there as a big 5-11 guard who can create for herself and others. LA also doesn't need production from her in her first year or two.

11. Seattle-the two mocks I've seen have Tiana Mangakahia here, so I'll stick with that trend and pick her.

12. Vegas-I don't see anyone at 12 making an impact on Vegas, but I'll throw out Dijonai Carrington here since she's a big guard who can score and rebound. I think people are underestimating her and she has the tools to be a first rounder.

Well-reasoned and a good read to boot (as I sip my morning coffee). ;)
A comment or two:

- Dallas: Agree that the Wings can use a presence in the middle. Let's think big and a little outside of the box: maybe use two or one of those picks to pry away a center from the Indiana Fever: namely, Lauren Cox, who can add skills and a local presence to the team; or Natalie Achonwa, who still has a solid skill set and can add a calming presence to a very young team and a newbie coach. If no go on trades, go big.

- Phoenix. Hmm. Are you looking for defensive presence at guard? Or overall? Because Bri Turner is a forward version of Didi Richards at this point (and a pretty darned good one, based on her play this year).
Could see them going after a wing/bigger guard (Onyenware, Carrington).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Well-reasoned and a good read to boot (as I sip my morning coffee). ;)
A comment or two:

- Dallas: Agree that the Wings can use a presence in the middle. Let's think big and a little outside of the box: maybe use two or one of those picks to pry away a center from the Indiana Fever: namely, Lauren Cox, who can add skills and a local presence to the team; or Natalie Achonwa, who still has a solid skill set and can add a calming presence to a very young team and a newbie coach. If no go on trades, go big.

- Phoenix. Hmm. Are you looking for defensive presence at guard? Or overall? Because Bri Turner is a forward version of Didi Richards at this point (and a pretty darned good one, based on her play this year).
Could see them going after a wing/bigger guard (Onyenware, Carrington).

Dallas would benefit massively from either Cox or Achonwa, I think both would be huge upgrades compared to what they could get from this draft unless they were to somehow snipe Collier.

In regards to Phoenix, I think she'd be a good fit playing with the big 3 since she doesn't take a lot of shots and is a strong passer. Good point about Brianna Turner though...might be overkill since they both fill the defense oriented/do all the little things role. If they go with overall, I'd say Onyenwere, Westbrook, or Carrington would be good choices too.

Reaction Score

since she's a big guard who can score and rebound. I

Does Atlanta still own the rights for Renee Montgomery and Tiffany Hayes? Both COVID opt-outs (I think) for 2020 but maybe back for 2021. Depending on their situation I’m not sure another guard makes sense there.

Also, the weakness of this draft makes that Megan Walker recruiting class “miss” look like less of an aberration. There really wasn’t much top-tier talent to be had that year either way.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Does Atlanta still own the rights for Renee Montgomery and Tiffany Hayes? Both COVID opt-outs (I think) for 2020 but maybe back for 2021. Depending on their situation I’m not sure another guard makes sense there.

Also, the weakness of this draft makes that Megan Walker recruiting class “miss” look like less of an aberration. There really wasn’t much top-tier talent to be had that year either way.

Good point. I completely forgot about those 2.

2017 class was actually pretty solid considering it had Satou Sabally, Chennedy Carter, Megan Walker, Dana Evans, Rennia Davis and Michaela Onyenwere. All of those kids were All Americans last year aside from Davis who is the likely #1 pick if Collier doesn't come out.

Lots of other solid standouts like Lindsey Pulliam, Chasity Patterson, Didi Richards, Unique Thompson and Kiana Williams. Plus Evina Westbrook once she plays. The class had a ton of transfers who will likely play 5 years, plus 3 early entrants which makes the projected WNBA class look extremely weak

Reaction Score
Dallas would benefit massively from either Cox or Achonwa, I think both would be huge upgrades compared to what they could get from this draft unless they were to somehow snipe Collier.

In regards to Phoenix, I think she'd be a good fit playing with the big 3 since she doesn't take a lot of shots and is a strong passer. Good point about Brianna Turner though...might be overkill since they both fill the defense oriented/do all the little things role. If they go with overall, I'd say Onyenwere, Westbrook, or Carrington would be good choices too.
I’ve always felt like Richards would be a good fit for Phoenix, I think they could really use a player who can guard some of the better wings/guards in the WNBA, I’m a big Diggins-Smith fan but watching her try and guard Carter was pretty ugly this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good point. I completely forgot about those 2.

2017 class was actually pretty solid considering it had Satou Sabally, Chennedy Carter, Megan Walker, Dana Evans, Rennia Davis and Michaela Onyenwere. All of those kids were All Americans last year aside from Davis who is the likely #1 pick if Collier doesn't come out.

Lots of other solid standouts like Lindsey Pulliam, Chasity Patterson, Didi Richards, Unique Thompson and Kiana Williams. Plus Evina Westbrook once she plays. The class had a ton of transfers who will likely play 5 years, plus 3 early entrants which makes the projected WNBA class look extremely weak

For real?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom