WNBA 2021 Draft Lottery Friday Dec 4 (During Louisville / DePaul game) | The Boneyard

WNBA 2021 Draft Lottery Friday Dec 4 (During Louisville / DePaul game)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The 2021 WNBA Draft Lottery is set for Friday, Dec. 4 the league announced today. New York, Atlanta, Dallas, and Indiana will compete for No. 1 overall draft pick.

ESPN will televise the event during its broadcast of the DePaul vs. Louisville game which tips off at 6:30 p.m. ET. WNBA Head of League Operations Bethany Donaphin will announce the results

Odds

1606838011826.png

Reaction Score
BD !! #NYL4life happy to see her on national TV such a delightful person and face :) ! #GoDallas btw

Reaction Score
The 2020 draft was looking weak until Carter and Sabally joined the Frey. This draft and next draft both seem weak to me. The 2018 and 2019 were so strong. The batch of players that were trying out for the u16/u17 teams that got Bronze medal coincides with the next two draft classes. It's just a wave of mediocrity the next two years, but it'll be interesting to see how many will make teams because of the limited Salary cap.

Reaction Score
Unless

Unless Howard & Collier Declare possibly Evina & Christyn as well .
Howard doesn’t meet any criteria to be eligible for the draft next year.

Reaction Score
Howard doesn’t meet any criteria to be eligible for the draft next year.
Howard can graduate early and declare for the upcoming draft. She is also aware of this , so i wouldn't scratch her off the list til she verbally states she's staying in lexington at the end of hte season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Howard can graduate early and declare for the upcoming draft. She is also aware of this , so i wouldn't scratch her off the list til she verbally states she's staying in lexington at the end of hte season.

Hmm. I went to the WNBA site and found this under the FAQ's:
  1. Who’s eligible to be drafted?
The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility.

Howard, if my google search is correct, was born in April 2000, so she's not going to be 22 in 2021, when the draft takes place. I guess the key is that and . Is it strictly an "and" in which she has to be 22 "and...." Or is it an "and/or" in which your scenario could theoretically take place? But I don't think that's the case because what would stop a fab frosh from renouncing any college eligibility to go pro after a one and done?

Of the folks who have eligibility and turn 22 in the 2021 draft year, I scanned the ESPNw article and found:
- Evina Westbrook, guard from UConn (1998)
- Charli Collier, forward from Texas (1999)

NaLyssa Smith, Ashly Joens,, Naz Hillmon and Christyn Williams are all born in 2000.

Reaction Score
Hmm. I went to the WNBA site and found this under the FAQ's:
  1. Who’s eligible to be drafted?
The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility.

Howard, if my google search is correct, was born in April 2000, so she's not going to be 22 in 2021, when the draft takes place. I guess the key is that and . Is it strictly an "and" in which she has to be 22 "and...." Or is it an "and/or" in which your scenario could theoretically take place? But I don't think that's the case because what would stop a fab frosh from renouncing any college eligibility to go pro after a one and done?

Of the folks who have eligibility and turn 22 in the 2021 draft year, I scanned the ESPNw article and found:
- Evina Westbrook, guard from UConn (1998)
- Charli Collier, forward from Texas (1999)

NaLyssa Smith, Ashly Joens,, Naz Hillmon and Christyn Williams are all born in 2000.
I promise you , Howard can graduate in 3 years and declare for the draft. She's aware of this and so is everyone in the Kentucky Camp. Whether she does it or not is yet to be determined.

If she was genuinely about to graduate around the time of the draft, from a four-year program, and then renounced her remaining eligibility, then yes that's another way to make yourself eligible. I don't think that method has ever been utilised by anyone who's just been in college for three years and taken enough classes to graduate early, BUT it's possible.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Unless

Unless Howard & Collier Declare possibly Evina & Christyn as well .

Collier would potentially be a solid #1 pick. I dont see Westbrook being a top pick unless she has improved big time from being at Tennessee. This draft will be a far cry from the last 3 years which had numerous rookie standouts.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Collier would potentially be a solid #1 pick. I dont see Westbrook being a top pick unless she has improved big time from being at Tennessee. This draft will be a far cry from the last 3 years which had numerous rookie standouts.

Let's say Collier has a solid year. If that's the case, it might behoove her to come out this year (see Loyd, Jewell).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I promise you , Howard can graduate in 3 years and declare for the draft. She's aware of this and so is everyone in the Kentucky Camp. Whether she does it or not is yet to be determined.

If she was genuinely about to graduate around the time of the draft, from a four-year program, and then renounced her remaining eligibility, then yes that's another way to make yourself eligible. I don't think that method has ever been utilised by anyone who's just been in college for three years and taken enough classes to graduate early, BUT it's possible.

Once again, I pulled that Q and A from the WNBA. That is their public-facing statement on eligibility for the draft. Note, it says nothing about graduating, so while that's a noble undertaking, it really doesn't matter to the WNBA.

The key, at least is written is renouncing the eligibility....and (there's that word again)...being 22. Last I checked she was born in late April, 2000. So, how does she get around that? Asking for an exemption? Challenging the system, a la Spencer Haywood? (I'm dating myself). Just wondering. ;)

Reaction Score
Once again, I pulled that Q and A from the WNBA. That is their public-facing statement on eligibility for the draft. Note, it says nothing about graduating, so while that's a noble undertaking, it really doesn't matter to the WNBA.

The key, at least is written is renouncing the eligibility....and (there's that word again)...being 22. Last I checked she was born in late April, 2000. So, how does she get around that? Asking for an exemption? Challenging the system, a la Spencer Haywood? (I'm dating myself). Just wondering. ;)
Well , we will just have to see at this point . I for one am all for kids getting their education in 4 years , BUT i would not be surprised. The coaching change may even be more of a factor or maybe not as Elzy has been there since day 1 with Howard as well. We have seen players graduate in 3 years and become grad transfers, but never become pro so who knows. I say STAY IN SCHOOL KIDS !

Reaction Score
The Bench is talking about Walker being eligible for a 7th year. Is that possible??

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well , we will just have to see at this point . I for one am all for kids getting their education in 4 years , BUT i would not be surprised. The coaching change may even be more of a factor or maybe not as Elzy has been there since day 1 with Howard as well. We have seen players graduate in 3 years and become grad transfers, but never become pro so who knows. I say STAY IN SCHOOL KIDS !

I personally disagree for kids who will be top 4 picks. They can always go back and finish their degree (or take classes online and finish up in the off season), and players have a limited playing career, usually 10ish years, upwards of 15 if they're lucky.

From day 1 they'll make 70k for 3-4 months of playing, then can go overseas and likely make a lot more than that. Not to mention endorsement deals and other money making opportunities.

Many players seem to be private about their overseas salaries, but it has been consistently said that players usually make far more money overseas than they do in the WNBA, with salaries up to a half million or higher for the best players. I have no idea specific numbers for an average player, but based on reports, overseas salaries are often double WNBA salaries (link). My guess is that between WNBA/overseas salaries, bonuses, and any endorsement deals, someone like Collier would make 250k+ playing pro ball next season instead of sticking around for her senior season.

250k a HUGE chunk of money for someone who is 21-22 years old, and IMO going pro is a better financial investment than staying in college for top picks. Especially for kids like Hailey Van Lith and Paige who have huge social media followings and could very possibly make half a million or more from social media alone. Under current rules, they can't make a penny from their instagram accounts.

Obviously, there's no replacing a college experience and it's definitely commendable to stick around your 4th year, but every player has her own unique circumstances and will make the best decision for herself.

Reaction Score
2022 should be stacked at the top end by comparison. With Howard, Sedona Prince, Nalyssa Smith, Christyn Williams, Ashley Joens, Naz Hillman and If she is recovered Nyara Sabally.
2022, ONO and Christyn both should be in the top 10 pick.

Reaction Score
Theres just no getting around the 22 years old thing. Its pretty easy for athletes to graduate in 3 years these days. Most show up early, take classes throughout the summer. Hardest part is making sure they get all the required classes for their degree but thats for the academic support staff to plan out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Bench is talking about Walker being eligible for a 7th year. Is that possible??

Yes, Deb Antonelli brought it up during the Miami of Ohio vs. ND game. Since this year is basically a mulligan, everyone can come back in 2021-22 with no regard to size of the overall roster (although ND needs to be willing to foot the bill.) Kind of amazing to think about it...she could be 24 or 25 by the time it's over.

However, me thinks that given the "down" year in the draft this year (with a lot of smaller guards graduating), might be a good time for a 5'11" shooter to give the WNBA a shot. Heck, she should have a masters done by the end of this year (she already graduated college).

(BTW, the Bench talk largely came from yours truly.... ;)! Just ask here or there!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, Deb Antonelli brought it up during the Miami of Ohio vs. ND game. Since this year is basically a mulligan, everyone can come back in 2021-22 with no regard to size of the overall roster (although ND needs to be willing to foot the bill.) Kind of amazing to think about it...she could be 24 or 25 by the time it's over.

However, me thinks that given the "down" year in the draft this year (with a lot of smaller guards graduating), might be a good time for a 5'11" shooter to give the WNBA a shot. Heck, she should have a masters done by the end of this year (she already graduated college).

(BTW, the Bench talk came from your truly.... ;)! Just ask here or there!)

I forgot about the extra year.

U put a lot of work into that post

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now that the draft lottery is finished, here come the mock drafts

C. Collier #1 to NY

They Have Evina #10

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Now that the draft lottery is finished, here come the mock drafts

C. Collier #1 to NY

They Have Evina #10

If the 30-pt. effort was not an anomoly, I could see Collier being a great addtion to the Liberty and Ionescu.

Maybe it's me, but I can't see Dallas investing the 2nd pick on Aari McDonald, when they still have Ty Harris and MoJeff. I could see them going after Awak Kuier with a first-round choice. Given her talent and their need at center, that could be the #2 pick on promise alone.

Erin Boley to Minnesota at 8? If I'm Coach Reeve, I see how another transfer associated with Notre Dame -- Jessica Shepard -- is doing after rehabbing that knee injury. She's 6'4" and I believe is much more of a multi-faceted player than Boley. Plus, she plays well/nice with Napheesa Collier. Lastly, Coach Reeve is both a fan and mentor to Jess.

Thanks for sending. Good article to peruse on a really rainy Saturday here in northern NJ.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Free agency in WNBA will be fascinating this year--could be a lot of moving pieces that change the needs of each team (Though the Liberty could stand for as much help as they can get). As of right now, Collier makes the most sense for NYL's needs (should she leave early), but after that, it's about as clear as mud.

Thinking about the rosters as they stand, what does each team need the most:

NYL: First, they need a healthy Ionescu and Durr, who along with Kia Nurse and Jazmine Jones could make for a very young, dynamic backcourt (with Clarendon providing veteran support). But the forward and center positions could all do for a significant upgrade offensively, and I can't remember the last time NY has had a great small forward.

DAL: Like NY, their guard situation is in a pretty good place. Arike is Arike, Gray has established herself as a very solid pro, and both Harris and Mabrey showed promise (and if MoJeff ever gets healthy, that's even more PG depth). Sabally is a future star at the 3, and Thorton will give you solid minutes at the forward spots. But they don't have any posts worthy of a true WNBA contender.

ATL: Again, like the previous two teams, their guard situation as it stands now is pretty stacked. Carter is a future all star, Laney made a huge jump last year, Courtney Williams remains a very good pro SG, and they should get Tiffany Hayes back this upcoming year. That leaves the post again as the biggest hole in the lineup--E. Williams and Monique Billings are both better than avg rebounders and defenders, but neither of them has much of an offensive game outside 5 feet. That doesn't cut it at the 4-spot anymore, and unless Glory Johnson is able to recapture her form from a few years ago, they need an upgrade here.

IND: Unlike the other three teams, IND should be decent in post between McCowan, Dupree, Cox (if she makes a big jump her 2nd year), Achonwa, and Lavender (should she return). And with Allemand and the return of Wheeler at PG, and the Mitchells at the 2, backcourt is decent. Alas, Indiana has not had a true offensive option at the 3 since Catchings retired (ironically, had they kept Laney last season it could have been her).

So in short, the biggest need for the lottery teams seems to be at the forward/center spot, which does not seem particularly deep at all in this draft class as this moment. Trades/free agency will be important.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom