OT: - WMU Gets $550M Anonymous Donation | The Boneyard

OT: WMU Gets $550M Anonymous Donation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This shouldn't be too hard to figure out, should it?

The number of people able to donate $550 million is a relatively small group.

$300m to med school.
$200m to scholarship and faculty
$50m for athletics

How many alumni from WMU could do that. Like you said it should be easy to figure.

Reaction Score
Derek Jeter? He didn't go to college, but he is from Michigan.

Reaction Score
Has to be this guy and maybe his brothers also.

Reaction Score
It's either Gores or the Stryker granddaughter. Jeter is nowhere near that ballpark.

Whenever I see stuff like this I wonder why UConn doesn't seem to really have any huge donors. Has UConn ever had a billionaire grad or anyone with several hundreds of millions?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How many alumni from WMU could do that. Like you said it should be easy to figure.

Doesn't have to be a WMU grad. Could be someone who received care at Stryker or was helped by people or procedures from Stryker.

Reaction Score
It's either Gores or the Stryker granddaughter. Jeter is nowhere near that ballpark.

Whenever I see stuff like this I wonder why UConn doesn't seem to really have any huge donors. Has UConn ever had a billionaire grad or anyone with several hundreds of millions?
Agreed on Jeter. Plus he went to the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) so I highly doubt he would give money to WMU.

Yeah, I can't think of any multi billionaires who went to UConn. Robert Burton is rich but I don't think he's anywhere close to a billionaire.

Reaction Score
Wow. It's one thing to give back to your school.

It's a whole other initiative to literally change the lives of 10s of thousands of students-- and impact medical care in the region so dramatically. It is an extraordinarily impressive gift.

Reaction Score
Agreed on Jeter. Plus he went to the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) so I highly doubt he would give money to WMU.

Yeah, I can't think of any multi billionaires who went to UConn. Robert Burton is rich but I don't think he's anywhere close to a billionaire.
I think Schenkmam is considered to be the biggest donor. At least to athletics. When the coaches roadshow came to Stamford their bus was at his office paying him a visit to kiss the ring during lunch hour.

Reaction Score
This shouldn't be too hard to figure out, should it?

The number of people able to donate $550 million is a relatively small group.

$300m to med school.
$200m to scholarship and faculty
$50m for athletics

What can i say, i felt charitable.

Reaction Score
I think Schenkmam is considered to be the biggest donor. At least to athletics. When the coaches roadshow came to Stamford their bus was at his office paying him a visit to kiss the ring during lunch hour.
And I forgot that Burton didn't even go to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has to be this guy and maybe his brothers also.

We need to get those guys some honorary degrees

Reaction Score
Werth?

I would agree. I think Peter Werth towers (pun intended) over Shenkman and Burton.

->In addition, Peter Werth, the CEO of ChemWerth, Inc. once again stepped up in support of our student-athletes. He has been incredibly generous over the last several years and recently made a $7.5M gift to athletics, $2.5M of which will go towards the new hockey arena. With this gift Peter has given over $15M to UConn Athletics and over $37M to UConn overall. <-

Reaction Score
Malcolm Gladwell ...

His writing & podcast: the real waste of money are all these phonies who donate to the Ivy schools ... and Stanford etc. If you really want to make a difference, be like Henry Rowan. In about 1993, Henry donated to what was Glassboro State in NJ. $150m. They used it to set up a unique engineering school ... goes identifying regional talent in high schools from lesser elite communities. And beef up other schools at what is now Rowan University. I got involved with Rowan in 2008 with student housing. Rowan has grown from 9500 students in that year to 20,000 today. The town of Glassboro is amazingly vibrant today. NJ just merged Rowan with Cooper Hospital ... and they started a Medical School teaching program. And ... it continues.

So I applaud gifting Western Michigan. This will make a far bigger contribution to society than ... an few hundred million more to the $50billion endowment of some elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom