OT: - WMU Gets $550M Anonymous Donation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: WMU Gets $550M Anonymous Donation

Reaction Score
How so? I don't give a crap what other commenters say. It is a total waste of money. For the most part Universities today are warping the minds of our youth.

Is that what happened to you?

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about sports.

I well know the schools are like apples and oranges. But while MSU may have 3.5x the endowment WMU has, it also has 3x as many undergrads. Proportionally WMU holds its own in this measure, especially when you realize the built in costs of the research heavy programs at MSU. In bigger states, you see this dynamic a lot, with less research intensive schools that have good funding stealing students from the bigger research schools. Ex. Geneseo in NY taking kids from the University centers, or Santa Cruz nabbing kids from UCLA or San Diego. In the past, the directional Michigan schools couldn't offer kids such programs with resources. Now WMU can. It makes a huge difference.

Its hard for me to imagine myself choosing Geneseo over Stony Brook/Binghamton/Buffalo if I went through process all over again. I'm sure some kids end up doing this to have the small college experience & small town party scene. But I don't think this happen a lot as you say

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's either Gores or the Stryker granddaughter. Jeter is nowhere near that ballpark.

Whenever I see stuff like this I wonder why UConn doesn't seem to really have any huge donors. Has UConn ever had a billionaire grad or anyone with several hundreds of millions?
I’m a tightwad.

But seriously, UConn definitely has had big donors. Gampel, Burton for just a few donated big bucks just for athletics. Among athletes I know Donyell Marshall and Charles Nagy donated large sums. Not sure about Ray Allen.

This guy was not a UConn grad

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
,,, and you're ignorant
Those folks refuse to believe that a college student can think for themselves. It's all projection.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m a tightwad.

But seriously, UConn definitely has had big donors. Gampel, Burton for just a few donated big bucks just for athletics. Among athletes I know Donyell Marshall and Charles Nagy donated large sums. Not sure about Ray Allen.

This guy was not a UConn grad

Jeff's Ex just gave $40M each to UCF and UT San Antonio. Part of a larger donation of $2.7B across hundreds of organizations.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I never knew Adrien made that kind of coin. Good for him.

Reaction Score
Since this thread is about the advancement of communities, that new amphitheater in Bridgeport is going to gentrify this city faster than the Bluefish ever could.

RIP Bluefish.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Since this thread is about the advancement of communities, that new amphitheater in Bridgeport is going to gentrify this city faster than the Bluefish ever could.

RIP Bluefish.
Faster than 0? Sure.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

RIP Bluefish.
my entry in the naming contest for the team long ago, was 'Park City Piranha.'
since the Jenkins Valves site was integral to the development of the ballpark/arena complex, well, here, check out what once was. the number of 'world's largest manufacturers of ...' on this list will blow anyone's mind.
Bridgeport History Center - Companies
5,000? 10,000? 15,000? employees at some of these giants.
and as far as 'giving back to the community,' gramps sez that it usually only took one afternoon or so of visits to a few of these companies, to ask for cash for a worthwhile civic project to get 'er done. he said that often he'd show up, and a 'swell' would say 'what now? how much we talkin aboot? is xxx in on the giving? Mary!' (i guess that it was some kind of law or sumthin where a company's chief bookkeeper had to be named mary. lol.)

fdd8aa97-181d-4356-b0a9-598764586429.jpg

2015-02-24%2B14_55_21-remington%2Barms%2Bbridgeport%2B-%2BGoogle%2BSearch.jpg

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104