With Young in the Draft... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

With Young in the Draft...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What about the prospect of the entire ND team being drafted? Young is clearly the pick of the litter, and Arike will play somewhere. As for the rest: Turner is too one-dimensional; Mabrey and Shepard too slow and, in Jessica's case, too short to play inside in the WNBA. (You saw how both Cox and Brown snuffed her out.) Arike is a magical player, but her personality may not conflate with success in the pros. Glad they're all gone.
As for the Husky players, I feel sure that 'Pheesa will prosper. In Lou's case, despite her growth in all areas in college, she's going to be seen as a gunner at the next level. Will her fate resemble KML's? I wonder.

Young and Arike are 1st round picks and will have long pro careers. Young is so versatile and has a pro-ready body. Arike is a better passer than she gets credit for and she can flat-out score. At the absolute worst, she is someone who can come off the bench and spark the second unit with her scoring.

Mabrey will be drafted but most likely training camp fodder.

If people like Alaina Coates can make a roster, I've got to think Turner and Shepard will each find a spot. I know that Turner can't really shoot and that Shepard is small to play 5 and slow to play 4, but they have very real skills. We'll see, though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why are so many people high on Anigwe? I just don’t see it. Give me Gustafson, MacBegor and Shepard over her everyday and twice on Sunday. I see her as this years Mercedes Russell, too tall to ignore, but not a regular rotation player....I also know I have a bias against Cal....I will bring that up at my next therapy session.

Anigwe was a hell of a lot more productive throughout her career than Russell, that's for sure. Honestly Russell as a Senior was maybe as good as a Freshman Anigwe, but probably not. Compared to Anigwe as a Senior? Fuhget about it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Anigwe was a hell of a lot more productive throughout her career than Russell, that's for sure. Honestly Russell as a Senior was maybe as good as a Freshman Anigwe, but probably not. Compared to Anigwe as a Senior? Fuhget about it.
Who would you pick-Gustafson, MacBegor, Shepard or Anigwe and in what order?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Who would you pick-Gustafson, MacBegor, Shepard or Anigwe and in what order?

Oh wow, I opened my mouth and now you put me on the spot. :cool: I haven't seen MacBegor at all but she has a reputation for having a ton of upside. Probably biggest issue is if and when she'd come to the U.S. to play. This is tough. Gustafson was ridiculously productive in college, not sure it will translate to the WNBA as well. Shepard is certainly a skilled player. Baylor made her disappear until Cox got injured. I think she might struggle with the size and athleticism of pro post players. I'm not predicting Anigwe will be a star but I think she'll be a decent pro. One thing you have to give her credit for is having a good motor. You don't average 16 rebounds/game by coasting on the court.

So...I didn't exactly rank them did I? Maybe MacBegor, Anigwe, Gustafson, Shepard.

Okay, your turn. Throw Alanna Smith in the mix too to make it really interesting.

Reaction Score
What about the prospect of the entire ND team being drafted? Young is clearly the pick of the litter, and Arike will play somewhere. As for the rest: Turner is too one-dimensional; Mabrey and Shepard too slow and, in Jessica's case, too short to play inside in the WNBA. (You saw how both Cox and Brown snuffed her out.) Arike is a magical player, but her personality may not conflate with success in the pros. Glad they're all gone.
As for the Husky players, I feel sure that 'Pheesa will prosper. In Lou's case, despite her growth in all areas in college, she's going to be seen as a gunner at the next level. Will her fate resemble KML's? I wonder.
Lou is a well rounded player, quicker can put the ball on the floor, rebound, and not a liability on defense.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about Lou. She can pass big time. Shoot threes and hit your biggie with a quick bullet pass. I am actually less sure about Pheesa. She might have problems executong her close in game against WNBA biggies. Still, of anyone...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
New article about Phee and Lou in the draft. WNBA coach comments.

Inseparable on and off the court, Collier and Samuelson ready for WNBA draft

“They play in a high-intensity environment. They play basketball the right way, involving all your teammates,” Laimbeer said during a pre-draft conference call. “They play on both sides of the ball. They understand how to play basketball, and that’s a huge factor in any basketball player. If you understand the game of basketball and how to play basketball, that’s a solid plus.

“There’s athletes playing basketball and there’s basketball players, and the people that come out of Connecticut are basketball players.”

Reaction Score
I would take either Brown or McCowan over Durr who is over valued. I consider KLS to be superior to Durr. Just look at their numbers and remember KLS plays in a much more pressure packed and opponent targeted environment. She is also the best team player in the 1st round.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would take either Brown or McCowan over Durr who is over valued. I consider KLS to be superior to Durr. Just look at their numbers and remember KLS plays in a much more pressure packed and opponent targeted environment. She is also the best team player in the 1st round.

Lou will fit just about anywhere because she doesn’t have to be ball dominant to make an impact. You run her off screens and gets the ball off a kick out. Swish.

I’d like to see her on a team like Vegas or Minnesota who have a dominant post player. Only one of those is even remotely likely though.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
"KLS plays in a much more pressure packed and opponent targeted environment."

There are definite reasons one might prefer KLS to Durr (though do they really play the same position? Will KLS be more of a 3 or a 2?). KLS is taller, a slightly better long-range shooter, a better rebounder, and gets more assists per game than Durr. But she also plays with another All american in the post and three other top three players in the starting line-up. So the reasons you listed above are simply not true.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lou will fit just about anywhere because she doesn’t have to be ball dominant to make an impact. You run her off screens and gets the ball off a kick out. Swish.

I’d like to see her on a team like Vegas or Minnesota who have a dominant post player. Only one of those is even remotely likely though.

Won't happen I know but would love to see her in Arizona with their dominant center and a gal called Diana.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Won't happen I know but would love to see her in Arizona with their dominant center and a gal called Diana.

I think that’s a very realistic scenario. The 6-9 area is where she’s projected to fall. CT at 9 is probably her floor.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but superior in which way? Other than her height, and the fact that she's a marginally better spot-up shooter, how can anyone who has watched both players play throughout their careers say that KLS is "superior" to Durr? KLS could barely create her own shot in College; do you think she will morph into Breanna Stewart in the Pros? The answer is no.

Let's not kid ourselves by saying Asia Durr is "over valued".That just means you haven't been paying attention. Period. I understand we are UCONN fans, but we're also basketball fans, and we have to be real here. No one in this draft has Asia Durr's combination of a midrange pull-up game, tight handle (have you seen all the times she's been knocked down and maintains her dribble?), three-point prowess, and play-making capabilities. This year, she worked her butt off to become a consistent defender. Evaluators are not stupid for ranking her so high, and neither are College coaches for recognizing her dominance this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In today's Las Vegas Review Journal both the GM and Laimbeer are leaning towards either Young or Durr.

Interesting, you spurred me to look this article up - Las Vegas Aces eye guards with No. 1 overall pick in WNBA Draft

“Where we’re at with the team, you think about need. But our goal is to always take the best player available,” Padover said. “I think it’ll end up being one of the two guards.”

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
This draft is a great example of the WNBA being stuck as the media has ran a lot of perceptions that have been proved somewhat inaccurate due to the way the season unfolded. The WNBA GMs should have been a little more savvy in watching more games over the course of the previous years instead of always relying on media fodder when picks have been less obvious. Years past should have been a warning sign but it was only on odd occasions that the GMs followed some media hype and were left scrambling.

There has been a lot of trashing of players this year, more than I have ever seen. Comments like the one above trying to argue that Durr is a superior player as she creates her own shot. I am using this as an example of how misleading that statement can be. First Durr is a ball dominant guard and yes she needs to dribble to get in a rhythm, but is that a positive, what about playing without the ball in her hand, what about being able to move without the dribble and knocking down a shot in transition or off of a screen. The dribble can actually allow the defense to react more than a shot being taken that has been read without the dribble to rise up before the defender has time to react. If a player needs the dribble like both Durr and Ogunner seem to, maybe they have just missed opportunities for themselves or for their teammates by instinctively having the need to put the ball on the floor. I watched Durr against Dangerfield having a terrible game and no offense, but she was playing against a much smaller player and not once did she try to post her up. Just food for thought.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of trashing of players this year, more than I have ever seen. Comments like the one above trying to argue that Durr is a superior player as she creates her own shot. I am using this as an example of how misleading that statement can be...I watched Durr against Dangerfield having a terrible game and no offense, but she was playing against a much smaller player and not once did she try to post her up. Just food for thought.
Please do not twist/purposefully misconstrue what I wrote in order to make a point. You could have replied to my response to @inthisopinion, and we could have discussed both players' skillsets. But saying that I'm (1) trashing a player, and (2) misleading others on Durr's capabilities, is unfair and careless. Try again.

I was specifically referencing the comparison made between Lou and Asia; I asked why the poster made the assertion that Durr is over valued and inferior as a player to Lou. They initially argued that Lou plays in a "more pressure packed and opponent targeted environment", whatever that means. I listed key reasons why Asia is the most talented and skilled player available in the draft this year. What exactly did you misunderstand here? The poster I replied to said Asia is "over valued", while I said she is actually much better offensively than Lou, if we're being real. So tell me, who is trashing a player here? I guess "trashing" has a different definition in the world of The Boneyard...:rolleyes:

Oh and btw, I can also cherry pick countless games in ANY College player's career and make them look like a bad offensive player...;)

Reaction Score
It is amazing to me that Lou was the top recruit in this class and she's predicted to fall to CT at 9. I just hope this doesn't impact her confidence because I do believe she's the best player without the ball in her hands in this draft. I think it would be best for her to play anywhere but Connecticut.

Reaction Score
This is not a good take for the simple fact that Lou is surrounded by superior talent. If Durr doesn't perform well, her team loses. That's not the case for Arike, Young, and Lou. KLS has a teammate on every first team All-American list who is projected to get drafted before her. Anybody on Louisville besides Durr even get an honorable mention?

Reaction Score
Please do not twist/purposefully misconstrue what I wrote in order to make a point. You could have replied to my response to @inthisopinion, and we could have discussed both players' skillsets. But saying that I'm (1) trashing a player, and (2) misleading others on Durr's capabilities, is unfair and careless. Try again.

I was specifically referencing the comparison made between Lou and Asia; I asked why the poster made the assertion that Durr is over valued and inferior as a player to Lou. They initially argued that Lou plays in a "more pressure packed and opponent targeted environment", whatever that means. I listed key reasons why Asia is the most talented and skilled player available in the draft this year. What exactly did you misunderstand here? The poster I replied to said Asia is "over valued", while I said she is actually much better offensively than Lou, if we're being real. So tell me, who is trashing a player here? I guess "trashing" has a different definition in the world of The Boneyard...:rolleyes:

Oh and btw, I can also cherry pick countless games in ANY College player's career and make them look like a bad offensive player...;)
Anyone can say anything about any player but that doesn't make it true. Durr's career numbers don't support your opinion very well. KLS has superior career numbers in: FG%, 3PT%, FT%, RPG, APG, AtoTO ratio, SPG. In fact, the career marks of KLS in FG%, 3Pt%, & FT% are all equal or higher than Durr's season highs in each. Quality of teammates isn't going to make THAT much of a difference. KLS can play inside or outside, with or without the ball and is the ultimate team player. She was also the number one target of opponents for the last 3 seasons. And, remember when opponents play UConn it is their super bowl.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone can say anything about any player but that doesn't make it true. Durr's career numbers don't support your opinion very well. KLS has superior career numbers in: FG%, 3PT%, FT%, RPG, APG, AtoTO ratio, SPG. In fact, the career marks of KLS in FG%, 3Pt%, & FT% are all equal or higher than Durr's season highs in each.
Durr has been the focal point of opposing defenses ALL FOUR YEARS of her career. Even in her first year, when she played through an injured hamstring (and refused to redshirt, even though her med team and coaches said she could have easily sat the season out because of the severity of the injury), she was still the team's main offensive option. Don't get me wrong, MHA was a force to be reckoned with in her junior and senior campaigns, but she wasn't really drawing the defensive attention that Durr drew every single night.

You have to look at the bigger picture, @inthisopinion. We all know who played alongside AAs for her entire career and who didn't...I'm not taking away from Lou, she's an amazing shooter and an even better teammate, but my point remains. Thanks.

Reaction Score
This is not a good take for the simple fact that Lou is surrounded by superior talent. If Durr doesn't perform well, her team loses. That's not the case for Arike, Young, and Lou. KLS has a teammate on every first team All-American list who is projected to get drafted before her. Anybody on Louisville besides Durr even get an honorable mention?
THIS.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

And maybe you should stop inflating your value as you are one of many on this board and if I wanted to just reply to you, I would have. Feel free to keep being sensitive though and showing that you have all the feels for one player.

Reaction Score
Katy Lou goes 4 and Phee 6... Looks like everybody, ESPN and on this board got it mostly wrong. Only the last updated from ESPN had it right as Jackie Young going first.....

Awesome for Lou

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom