With ND withdrawing and Louisville stepping in, should UConn move on from ND when contract expires? | The Boneyard

With ND withdrawing and Louisville stepping in, should UConn move on from ND when contract expires?

Should UConn move on from ND when contract expires?

• No! Continue the series as it has become a staple on the WCBB calendar

Votes: 58 58.6%
  • Yes! With Muffet McGraw gone, it's time to move on to another top school

Votes: 41 41.4%

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think with the new regime in ND and the BigEast schedule to regularly have 20 games, maybe now is the time to move on from playing ND. While I wish Niele Ivey well, what allegiance does UConn have to play her? Time moves on and maybe Geno prefers Jeff to beef up his OOC and have a more friendly banter while ND determines if it remains among the elite. Other options would be Duke, UNC, Texas who all have new coaches and cache to the WCBB calendar.
Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think with the new regime in ND and the BigEast schedule to regularly have 20 games, maybe now is the time to move on from playing ND. While I wish Niele Ivey well, what allegiance does UConn have to play her? Time moves on and maybe Geno prefers Jeff to beef up his OOC and have a more friendly banter while ND determines if it remains among the elite. Other options would be Duke, UNC, Texas who all have new coaches and cache to the WCBB calendar.
Thoughts?
Yup! I would give UNC a try based on their superb recruiting recently.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who ever they replace them with I doubt they will have a mascot I want to choke as much!

For me, I want to choke out an Oregon Duck. My brain still cant around the idea of a duck being a mascot. :confused::oops:

Reaction Score
For me, I want to choke out an Oregon Duck. My brain still cant around the idea of a duck being a mascot. :confused::oops:
At least I know what a duck is. What the heck is a Hoya or a Hoosier or a cardinal (a number, really?), etc. Having said that, maybe give the UCONN vs. ND a rest for a couple of years, although beating up on them isn't bad either.

Reaction Score
UConn should continue to play Notre Dame until the each program decides to go in a different direction. Notre Dame women's basketball, as much as I dislike saying this, has become a force in women's college basketball. Coach McGraw turned that program into power house in 24-25 years. The last 12-13 years, they have really become a staple in women's basketball. To not play them this year, it is gonna have an impact but to not play them 3 or 4 years in a row, the impact will grow especially if they play at a high level under Coach Ivey. If she can get those players playing at a high level, the attention is going to be off the charts! Now if they struggle and Coach Ivey does not develop the players and they become like Tennessee under Coach Warlick, well then we can have that discussion. But right now, let's keep that series going with Notre Dame WBB.

Reaction Score
Right now, ND needs to play UConn more than UConn needs to play ND. UConn has nothing to gain by playing ND. Put Duke and UNC on the schedule. UNC is a better program than ND, and Duke is right behind them. Geno and crew could head down to the triangle, beat UNC on Friday night, then beat Duke on Sunday afternoon. Two ESPN games. Boom.

Jim

Reaction Score
I think you need to keep a certain amount of geographic diversity in your schedule if you want to get recruits from all parts of the country. The American only had Cincinnati as a UConn opponent in that region, so it made sense to do home and home games with ND to get more exposure in the Chicago/Indiana region. With DuPaul and Butler filling that need in conference, scheduling ND is now $$$ decision as the networks love old rivalries. Then again, who knows? There might be a recruit considering both schools.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Because the Big East conference schedule is (really) almost as weak as the AAC, UConn needs as a top priority to put together the strongest possible out-of-conference schedule. So, assuming that the UConn schedule will accommodate only 10 out-of-conference games, the only question should be whether Notre Dame is one of the 10 most competitive teams that UConn can schedule.

We need to bear in mind that not every other Top-10 team will want to play UConn every year, if at all. So it would not surprise me if the Irish make the cut as one of the 10 best teams willing to play UConn in any particular year.

I also think that Kara Lawson will quickly have Duke at a level where it might also make the cut, and I think she will (unlike her predecessor) never shrink from the challenge of playing a Geno-coached team. I think she would look forward to it regardless of the expected outcome.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What good does playing an unranked Notre Dame team do UConn? Nothing, this isn't football. Those games only help ND and UConn has better things to do than help ND. Cancel the contract now I say. If not, I want to see some tasty score running up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Duke has a team?
Them's fightin' words.

fight you chuck norris GIF by GritTV

Reaction Score
Like it or not kids absolutely go nuts over the Duck at every sporting event.

Beginning in 1940, cartoon drawings of Puddles in student publications began to resemble Donald Duck, and by 1947, Walt Disney was aware of the issue. Capitalizing on his friendship with Disney cartoonist Mike Royer, Oregon athletic director Leo Harris met Disney and reached an informal handshake agreement that granted the University of Oregon permission to use Donald as its sports mascot, naming him Donald Duck.

When Disney lawyers later questioned the agreement in the 1970s, the university produced a photo showing Harris and Disney wearing matching jackets with an Oregon Donald logo. Relying on the photo as evidence of Disney's wishes, in 1973, both parties signed a formal agreement granting the university the right to use Donald's likeness as a symbol for (and restricted to) Oregon sports.

Walt Disney far right in photo.

1605364675009.png

1605365509144.png

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Time moves on and maybe Geno prefers Jeff to beef up his OOC and have a more friendly banter while ND determines if it remains among the elite.
Do you presume ND will not be among the elite by 2022? Where's @Dillon77 ? Has he jumped on this yet. Muffet put all her eggs into a basket of 5 really good players and paid the price last year. Neille has them recruiting aggressively. The Notre Dame situation is one bad year and not like Tennessee where they have witnessed 7 years of decline despite recruiting good players. It's way too soon to even have these thoughts about ND.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I voted to keep ND on the schedule. Granted last year was bad for ND, but they are still ND and carry a lot of weight nationally. Whether Ivey can bring ND back to a top 5 team remains to be seen. She may have been the power behind the throne, but following a legend is no easy task as has been seen in other programs.

I'd say keep Louisville too. I like Walz and his teams come to play.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I favor an OOC pool that includes Baylor, SC, Oregon, Louisville, ND, Duke, UNC, Texas, Tennessee, UCLA for two reasons
1) We need to compete against the best in order to meet our stated goal of playing for a national championship every year.
2) I want to compete in ever geographic area for recruiting purposes. I want every great player in every part of the country to feel the enthusiasm that UConn brings when they visit. And, I want the top recruits for every program in their stands when UConn comes to town and throttles the home team. Knock them down, keep them down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom