Wisconsin fires their OL coach after a 10-7 OOC loss. Discuss... | The Boneyard

Wisconsin fires their OL coach after a 10-7 OOC loss. Discuss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Patience, is not a luxury that exists in winning football programs.

Plus, I don't think it's smart to mix things up 2 games into your season. It is what it is for the season. Let's hope that some things are realized and adjustments are made.

Reaction Score
Plus, I don't think it's smart to mix things up 2 games into your season. It is what it is for the season. Let's hope that some things are realized and adjustments are made.

I don't know how to put this into it's own topic yet, but I think that the fundamental problem we've got on offense right now, is simple - it's energy.

Reaction Score
I don't know how to put this into it's own topic yet, but I think that the fundamental problem we've got on offense right now, is simple - it's energy.
A poster who witnessed the last open practice alluded to this with regards to the OLine.
No push.

Reaction Score
A poster who witnessed the last open practice alluded to this with regards to the OLine.
No push.

Duncan, I don't need to see practice to know it. We've talked before on this site, and I think you're a guy that knows a little about football. What does it mean to you, when a QB gets stepped on by his lineman, more than once in a game, on different possessions, when trying to get out from under center on a snap?

No push.

I do not see the wisdom in what we are doing with rotating lineman. Against UMass - yes. Talking about in the papers for recruiting. Yes. In preparation and practice for NC State - and beyond. No.

This offense needs to settle on five offensive linemen, and prepare them to play so they can get the push on the snap. Playing the biggest game on your schedule, is not the time to be developing depth.

Reaction Score
Because the state of Connecticut, athletics and all, are run by a bunch of Blue Lefty Pansies that dont have the bawls to hurt somebodys feelings. ;-)
just sayin'

True dat! More realistically the time for the coaching improvement on the offensive side of the ball was right after the Fiesta Bowl. Needed somebody who knows offense at the head position.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the wheels have to really have come off for a team to fire an assistant this early in the season. I think Houston made the right move. Scoring 10 on Texas State is so horrendously unacceptable and reflected so poorly on the OC's preparation and play calling that it had to be dealt with immediately.

I have no idea what happened at Wisconsin. Mike Reilly is one of the 3-4 best coaches in football, so losing to Oregon State is no shame at all. It is possible there were some other performance issues with this guy that forced Beliema's hand. Maybe there were some things that were supposed to have been covered in practice and weren't. Who knows?

I think firing an assistant in mid-season is incredibly disruptive, and does more harm than good unless the assistant in question is failing miserably. I don't think Deleone is at that point yet, and I don't think we have a good alternative on the staff anyway.

Reaction Score
I think the wheels have to really have come off for a team to fire an assistant this early in the season. I think Houston made the right move. Scoring 10 on Texas State is so horrendously unacceptable and reflected so poorly on the OC's preparation and play calling that it had to be dealt with immediately.

I have no idea what happened at Wisconsin. Mike Reilly is one of the 3-4 best coaches in football, so losing to Oregon State is no shame at all. It is possible there were some other performance issues with this guy that forced Beliema's hand. Maybe there were some things that were supposed to have been covered in practice and weren't. Who knows?

I think firing an assistant in mid-season is incredibly disruptive, and does more harm than good unless the assistant in question is failing miserably. I don't think Deleone is at that point yet, and I don't think we have a good alternative on the staff anyway.

I agree. I think it's clear at this point, that something needs to change on offense for us to be successful. Whether it's the mental, emotional approach to the game, the energy, or simplifying the play calling so that we're able to put a few guys on the field that can play fast....whatever.......I don't think that Deleone deserves the axe, but after that showing on offense saturday, he's most definitely in line to walk the plank in the future, if things don't change significantly for the better - and consistently for the better - I think.

Reaction Score
Because we're better than Wisconsin? Because the offense is underrated and overlooked?

You only get rid of someone if you believe you can find someone better.

Wisconsin is high enough on the food chain that it can always get someone good.
Houston was so inept that pulling someone out of the stands would've been an improvement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. I think it's clear at this point, that something needs to change on offense for us to be successful. Whether it's the mental, emotional approach to the game, the energy, or simplifying the play calling so that we're able to put a few guys on the field that can play fast....whatever.......I don't think that Deleone deserves the axe, but after that showing on offense saturday, he's most definitely in line to walk the plank in the future, if things don't change significantly for the better - and consistently for the better - I think.

I vote for simplifying the blocking schemes. I get the sense that is a don't make a mistake mentality on the OL. That's fatal in football. We need energy and aggression. Dumbing it down a bit but getting it right will go a long way in allowing us to run an offense.

Reaction Score
Hey Wisky, we know an EXPERIENCE OL coach who is available in CT. BTW, he can coach offense too. Please take him off our hands.

Reaction Score
b
With Susan Herbst in command, anything can happen. She's aiming super high.

Can we hire Bobby "The Liar" Petrino as an assistant OC?

Let's take a chance. Offense needs a big boost . . . oh and a pulse.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Is there any chance Petrino would return as an OC at a school that's not perceived as a perrenial football powerhouse? I can see him being a HC at a mid to lower tier program given his scandal, or as an OC at a "bit time program" But in either case he'd be out the door after a year or two once he proved he could keep lil' bobby in his pants.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance Petrino would return as an OC at a school that's not perceived as a perrenial football powerhouse? I can see him being a HC at a mid to lower tier program given his scandal, or as an OC at a "bit time program" But in either case he'd be out the door after a year or two once he proved he could keep lil' bobby in his pants.

Within 5 years, he'll be back at a mid-to-upper tier program. For any future school, he had the "best" possible scandal. He didn't violate NCAA rules. He's not a drunk. He didn't abuse his players. He 'just' had an affair and lied about it, which made it impossible to keep him. She was an employee (right?), so that makes things a bit worse, but overall still better than a lot of things.

He'll be back. Soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01