OT: - Wire Chief memorial quiz 3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief memorial quiz 3

Reaction Score
The operative word in question #15 is “Allied”. Unfortunately, Von Richtofen flew for the German side not the “Allied” side, so he and other Germans do not make this cut.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The operative word in question #15 is “Allied”. Unfortunately, Von Richtofen flew for the German side not the “Allied” side, so he and other Germans do not make this cut.
Probably lets out Rickenbacker - he was the leading American ace, I believe, but we were not part of the war effort as long as Britain and France on the allied side.

Reaction Score
Probably lets out Rickenbacker - he was the leading American ace, I believe, but we were not part of the war effort as long as Britain and France on the allied side.
You are correct! Rickenbacker had 26 “victories”, way behind Richthofen at 80 and a Frenchman at 75 and a Brit at 72! (I know, I know, I’m not supposed to peek, but I couldn’t resist at this late date. Notice I did not give away the names of the two top Allied aces in case someone can name them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And the answers are?????????????????????:D
I was waiting for your check. ;)

I was also waiting for answers to about a half-dozen questions. You slackers gave up too easily. ;)

I apologize for the delay—I have been busy recently.

Reaction Score
Answers
  1. KnightBridgeAZ correctly answered that the battle occurred in Hoosick. Specifically, the battle was in Walloomsac, Town of Hoosick, New York.
  2. Nicolaus Otto. He was assisted by Franz Rings, Gottlieb Daimler, and Wilhelm Maybach. Bigboote, SVCBeercats, and RockyMTblue2 identified Otto as the inventor, and SVCBeercats also mentioned Rings.
  3. Henri Matisse; Bigboote and Jibariqua correctly answered this question.
  4. Whitehorse; eebmg got this one right
  5. The Battle of Picacho Pass/Picacho Peak
  6. SVCBeercats gave the correct answer, Bartolomeo Cristofori.
  7. Bigboote knew the answer to this question. Over-unity devices are also known as “free energy” devices or perpetual-motion machines. They output more energy than their inputs. Although some people claim to have invented such devices, the devices are considered by many people to be impossible under our current laws of physics. Nikola Tesla reportedly believed that such devices were possible, using energy drawn from the ether.
  8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Bigboote and Rocket009 knew the right answer.
  9. Peenemunde Army Research Center, on the Baltic island of Usedom. FeloniousMonk and SVCBeercats correctly answered this question.
  10. Several people identified the city, Toronto.
  11. Ra or Re. Eebmg, KnightBridgeAZ, Bigboote, SVCBeercats, Rocket009, and Jibariqua mentioned Ra, but nobody mentioned Re. Some posters also provided other names for Ra, such as Amun-Ra or Ray.
  12. Eebmg, Bigboote, and SVCBeercats correctly identified the physicist, J. J. Thomson.
  13. Eebmg, Bigboote, SVCBeercats, and Jibariqua gave the correct answer for this question. A Turing test is a test developed by Alan Turing in the 1950s to determine if a machine can exhibit intelligence equivalent to that of a human. Jibariqua mentioned the movie Ex Machina. I highly recommend that you see this movie—it will make you think about AI.
  14. Glenn Curtiss
  15. René Fonck, Billy Bishop. SVCBeercats provided a link to a Wikipedia article with the answers to this question. FeloniousMonk correctly identified Billy Bishop and knew that the other person was French. Ex Nutmegger and KnightBridgeAZ mentioned Eddie Rickenbacker, who was the top U.S. ace with 26 victories, but was far behind Fonck and Bishop.
  16. Rendlesham Forest
  17. 1869; Promontory, Utah. KnightBridgeAZ gave the correct year and location. Bigboote got the correct year, and SVCBeercats knew the location.
  18. Battle of Jumonville Glen
  19. Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario
  20. The Siege of Fort Mackinac on July 17, 1812 was the first major land engagement of the war and ended in a British victory. Fort Mackinac, then known as Fort Michilimackinac, was built by the British during the Revolutionary War to control the Straits of Mackinac between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
  21. Captain Oliver Hazard Perry sent this message to William Henry Harrison after the Battle of Lake Erie began in the War of 1812. SVCBeercats knew the answers, and Jibariqua mentioned Perry.
  22. KnightBridgeAZ gave the correct answer, Sutter’s Mill. Ex Nutmegger mentioned Sutter Creek, which is about 40 miles south.
  23. Buena Vista
  24. KnightBridgeAZ, ed4ourgirls, and Jibariqua knew the correct answer, Veracruz.
  25. An Australian kiss is just like a French kiss, but down under. :)
Bonus question

Jibariqua correctly identified the composer, Claude Debussy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I appreciate being mentioned even though for two close but incorrect answers. Thank you for all your work. And thank you for honoring Wire Chief.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thank god for the science questions. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member