OT: - Wire Chief memorial quiz 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief memorial quiz 3

Reaction Score
  1. In the Revolutionary War, the American Patriots won a big victory at the Battle of Bennington. The battle was actually fought where?
  2. In 1876, this European inventor was granted a patent for the first functional, compressed charge, four-stroke engine. It is considered to be the first practical petrol (gasoline) engine. What was the inventor’s name?
  3. “The Dance,” “Woman with a Hat,” and “The Open Window” are famous paintings by which artist?
  4. What is the name of the capital and only city in Yukon_Territory, Canada?
  5. The westernmost land battle of the Civil War was _________________________?
  6. The piano was invented in Italy around 1700 by whom?
  7. What is an over-unity device?
  8. The movie Bladerunner was based on what book?
  9. Wernher von Braun and other German scientists developed and tested V-2 rockets at this location on the Baltic Sea. What was the location’s name?
  10. What is the fourth most populous city in North America?
  11. In ancient Egypt, the deity of the sun was known as __ or __. He later became known as the Sun Devil, or Devil.
  12. The first charged lepton, the electron, was discovered in 1897 by which British physicist?
  13. What is a Turing test?
  14. In 1908, this aviator and inventor flew 5,080 feet in the first officially witnessed public flight of a heavier-than-air flying machine in America. What was his name?
  15. Who were the top two Allied flying aces in World War 1?
  16. This famous UFO incident is sometimes called “Britain’s Roswell.” It occurred in 1980 in __________ Forest.
  17. On May 10, ____, the presidents of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met in ________________ to drive a golden spike that completed the first transcontinental railroad in the United States.
  18. Historians generally consider the Battle of ________________ to be the opening battle of the French and Indian War in North America.
  19. What is the name of the oldest provincial park in Canada?
  20. What was the first major land engagement of the War of 1812?
  21. Which U.S. military officer said "We have met the enemy and they are ours"? In which battle, in which war, did he make the statement?
  22. The California Gold Rush began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at _________________ in Coloma, California.
  23. The Battle of _______________ was the largest battle of the Mexican-American War.
  24. On March 9, 1847, General Winfield Scott performed the first major amphibious landing in U.S. history in preparation for the siege of this Mexican city. Robert E. Lee, George Meade, Ulysses S. Grant, James Longstreet, and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson were included in the invading force of 12,000 regular and volunteer soldiers. What was the name of the city?
  25. What is an Australian kiss?
Bonus question

Although he is known for his melodic compositions, some music scholars have said that some of this classical composer’s works are proportioned using mathematical models, with some pieces divided into sections that are based on the golden ratio. Who was the composer?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
4-Whitehorse
11-Ra
12- J.J. Thomson
13- A method to test If a computer algorithm demonstrates human intelligence
14 Wright Brothers?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 - I think the battle was fought over the border, in NY State. Near Bennington.

11 - Ra or maybe Amon Ra?

15 - I'm pretty sure one of them was named Eddie Rickenbacker, that's the only name I can remember.

17 - 1869, Promontory Point, Utah

18 - Quebec???

20 - New Orleans (after the war ended)? I don't remember many land engagements, I seem to remember there wasn't any significant opposition to the Brits burning Washington, battles on lakes and assaults on the seaboard mostly.

22 - Sutter's Mill (well, somebody's mill, I'm positive)

Thanks for doing this, even though I now think I have Alzheimer's. Because I most certainly "know" the Mexican War battles and where Germany did their rockets but so help me my mind is a blank.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OK, while I was signing off - one of the Mexican War battles was, I think, Vera Cruz. Which, I'm not sure, I'll go with Scott for that one, I know the other one that I can't remember was General Taylor.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2. Otto
3. Matisse
4. Yellowknife
8. Do Androids dream of electric sheep?
10. Chicago
11. Ra, Ray
12. JJ Thompson
13. It's a test for artificial intelligence
16. Epping forest?
17. 1869, ??

Reaction Score
9. Peenemunde.
15. Billy Bishop may have been one of them. I believe the other was French.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2. I don't know if one or both got the patent but it is easy to remember their names, Nicolaus Otto (Auto) and Franz Rings (piston rings).
6. Bartolomeo Cristofori
9. Peenemünde
10. Toronto
11. Aten or Ra
12. J.J. Thomson
13. A dialog with an entity to determine if it is a human being or artificial intelligence. Basically can an artificial entity think like a human being.
14. Orville Wright but I'm probably wrong since I think he flew less than 1,000 feet.
17. Date? Golden Spike National Historical Park, Utah ;):rolleyes: Technically correct!
21. Oliver Hazard Perry, Battle of Lake Erie, War of 1812
25. Risque you are!

Thanks for the test!!! Very good job!

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2 Karl Benz
8 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
10 Toronto
11 Aten/Ra

Reaction Score
3-Matisse
11-Ra
13- a test to seen if an AI can convince a human that the AI is also human.- just watched Ex Machina 2 days ago
15- Snoopy?
21-Commodore Perry
24- Vera Cruz
Bonus- Debussy

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
17. I will go with Tommy Smothers on this one; Promissory Note, Utah.

Reaction Score
You guys have done a great job. We need answers for questions 1, 5, 7, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, and 20.

KnightBridgeAZ is on the right track with his answer for question 1. The battle was in New York State, near Bennington, Vermont. Can you name the town?

Bluedevil mentioned the correct general location for question 5. The battle occurred about 25 miles northwest of Tucson in what was then New Mexico. Can you provide the name of the battle?

Felonious Monk correctly identified the #2 ace for the Allies, Billy Bishop; Felonious Monk is also correct that the other person was French. Can you name the #1 Allied ace?

Here’s a hint for question 14. This person has a museum named after him in the Finger Lakes region of New York State, in Hammondsport.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure the #1 ace was Eddie Rickenbacker as I mentioned in reply #4.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 - the only town I know the name of between Troy and Bennington is called Hoosic(k), whether that is where the battle was I'm not sure.

16 - Sherwood?

18 - Quebec

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure the #1 ace was Eddie Rickenbacker as I mentioned in reply #4.
1597691439946.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I missed 7: An over-unity machine is a euphemism for a perpetual-motion machine

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
And the answers are????????????????????? :D

1. In the Revolutionary War, the American Patriots won a big victory at the Battle of Bennington. The battle was actually fought where?
  2. In 1876, this European inventor was granted a patent for the first functional, compressed charge, four-stroke engine. It is considered to be the first practical petrol (gasoline) engine. What was the inventor’s name?
  3. “The Dance,” “Woman with a Hat,” and “The Open Window” are famous paintings by which artist?
  4. What is the name of the capital and only city in Yukon_Territory, Canada?
  5. The westernmost land battle of the Civil War was _________________________?
  6. The piano was invented in Italy around 1700 by whom?
  7. What is an over-unity device?
  8. The movie Bladerunner was based on what book?
  9. Wernher von Braun and other German scientists developed and tested V-2 rockets at this location on the Baltic Sea. What was the location’s name?
  10. What is the fourth most populous city in North America?
  11. In ancient Egypt, the deity of the sun was known as __ or __. He later became known as the Sun Devil, or Devil.
  12. The first charged lepton, the electron, was discovered in 1897 by which British physicist?
  13. What is a Turing test?
  14. In 1908, this aviator and inventor flew 5,080 feet in the first officially witnessed public flight of a heavier-than-air flying machine in America. What was his name?
  15. Who were the top two Allied flying aces in World War 1?
  16. This famous UFO incident is sometimes called “Britain’s Roswell.” It occurred in 1980 in __________ Forest.
  17. On May 10, ____, the presidents of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met in ________________ to drive a golden spike that completed the first transcontinental railroad in the United States.
  18. Historians generally consider the Battle of ________________ to be the opening battle of the French and Indian War in North America.
  19. What is the name of the oldest provincial park in Canada?
  20. What was the first major land engagement of the War of 1812?
  21. Which U.S. military officer said "We have met the enemy and they are ours"? In which battle, in which war, did he make the statement?
  22. The California Gold Rush began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at _________________ in Coloma, California.
  23. The Battle of _______________ was the largest battle of the Mexican-American War.
  24. On March 9, 1847, General Winfield Scott performed the first major amphibious landing in U.S. history in preparation for the siege of this Mexican city. Robert E. Lee, George Meade, Ulysses S. Grant, James Longstreet, and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson were included in the invading force of 12,000 regular and volunteer soldiers. What was the name of the city?
  25. What is an Australian kiss?
Bonus question

Although he is known for his melodic compositions, some music scholars have said that some of this classical composer’s works are proportioned using mathematical models, with some pieces divided into sections that are based on the golden ratio. Who was the composer?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
#2 is Nicholas Otto though my first thought was Daimler. Here comes the auto!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom