OT: - Wire Chief/Alex Trebek memorial quiz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief/Alex Trebek memorial quiz

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Rijksmuseum has 4 of the remaining 34 Vermeers, all in that room. The Milk Maid is probably the most popular.

1606793052421.png

The beloved Girl with the Pearl is at the Mauritshuis in the Hague. That former mansion has more masterpieces per square foot than anyplace I've been.

Reaction Score
Another Rembrandt in the same hall:

View attachment 61894
Yeah, I believe the Gallery of Honour is adjacent to the Nightwatch Gallery so I walked through it. Honestly I enjoyed the Van Goph Museum a lot more. They had a special "Van Goph and the Sea" exhibit there when I visited. I had already seen the same exhibit in the USA, but the Van Goph Museum did a much better job of showing it (I guess maybe because...that's what they do...?)

Reaction Score
The first two would get a lot of support; the third is hopelessly subjective! Fans of the Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruch and Sibelius would vigorously dispute your thesis! Personally, I find the “Romeo and Juliet” works of Berlioz, Tchaikowsky, Prokofiev and Bernstein serious competition.
I'm a hopelessly subjective type of guy. But, I also love all of the works you mention, both the violin concertos and the R & J works!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, I believe the Gallery of Honour is adjacent to the Nightwatch Gallery so I walked through it. Honestly I enjoyed the Van Goph Museum a lot more. They had a special "Van Goph and the Sea" exhibit there when I visited. I had already seen the same exhibit in the USA, but the Van Goph Museum did a much better job of showing it (I guess maybe because...that's what they do...?)
I liked the Van Gogh museum other than the prohibition on photos.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Y'all're doing great, gotten some I didn't expect. We're still looking for 1-5, 10, and 17.

#1 involves a patent.

Pino is close in his discussion of #2, both in his moniker and suggestion of the grizzly; I'm pretty sure .

#3: Stevie's is electronic, Ray's is mechanical (or electromechanical).

#4: There's one key ingredient in beer and ale that was missing in one of them.

Knight and mbr are on the right track with the guess of the Amazn for #5. Think another place with a lot of rain forest.

I have no doubt that Jibariqua speaks sooth in his answer to #10, but part of the meaning of souchong, at least in tea circles, is actually the opposite of part of what he says.

I can't think of a hint for 17.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mendelsohn also gave us a number of "bests" --- best music inspired by a play (his "Incidental Music for a Midsummer Night's Dream); best symphony whose nickname is a country (his "Italian" Symphony); and best violin Concerto of all-time.

Don't forget his octet. The set of string symphonies, also written when he was a kid, is also unique.

I'm with Jordy; there are too many great violin concertos to call one the best. I'm partial to some of the post-romantic (Prokofiev I and Korngold) as well as those from the heyday.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow - I know that painting too. Saw it my first time to Amsterdam. I need to pay more attention to the names of the paintings I guess...

I actually became familiar with the full name through a song, "The shooting company of Captain Frans B. Cocq, on an album by Ayreon, a Dutch progressive metal act.

Reaction Score
Y'all're doing great, gotten some I didn't expect. We're still looking for 1-5, 10, and 17.

#1 involves a patent.

Then I guess it would have to be a patent for a machine that cuts pasta in the shape of penne pasta.

#5 Kinabalu?

I can't think of a hint for 17-

I can’t think of an answer so we are even.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, it's been a day without a response, so I'll go ahead and do the reveal:

1) Jibariqua got this one. There was a patent issued in Italy in 1865 for a machine that could cut pasta on the diagonal.

2) The giant panda is currently classified as a bear, and is entirely herbivorous (likely gets the occasional insect in its bamboo, but it's the bamboo it's deliberately eating)

3) Stevie played a Moog bass for most of the 70's, while Ray played a Rhodes or Fender-Rhodes on most of the Doors' studio albums and all of their live shows.

4) SVC correctly identified hops as the key difference. I read in Zymurgy ages ago that before the quasi-standardization of brews late 19th century), beer was brewed with hops and ale used spices or other things to take the edge off the maltiness. (I would've thought the opposite, for example, Jane Austen talks about "spruce beer" in one of her books.)

5) This one shocked me. The fire was in Indonesia, I'm pretty sure on Borneo. It didn't only burn trees, but the soil is peat, an incredible carbon sink, which also burns.

6) SandrasGuy correctly identified acquiring the rights to the space above the land all around the earth above which the moon passes.

7) chj01 and KnightBridgeAZ rang in with Mendelssohn and began a stimulating discussion.

8) SVCBeercats begins a run with National Novel Writing Month. My daughter finished her book on the 28th, with two days to spare.

9) eebmg and SVC point out that the higher the blackbody temperature, the cooler the light appears.

10) Souchong tea has very large leaves (as opposed to pekoe).

chj got both 11 and 12. I thought I might stump everyone with Ray Thomas, who was a really really good harmonica player.

13) jibariqua has gotten this far by avoiding the bite of the slow loris. They're so cute. . .

14) Ohio GF makes an appearance along with jib and SVC

15) jib's on a roll. Rebecca is dead and the young wife is never named.

16) Alydar and SVC both got the masterpiece. I enjoyed the discussion that ensued.

17) This is one of the wassailing carols. Folks would shoot a bird (I think often a wren) and dress it up and parade it around singing the song. In some homes, folks would say "Please to see the king" and would give the revelers a nip in exchange for seeing their "king". See the carols thread for a great rendition.

18) I think pretty much everyone got Westley or the Dread Pirate Roberts from the Princess Bride.

19) j66kicker got this one. I'm fascinated by names of colors, professions, locations, etc. that are very different-sounding names in different languages. I'll probably include one in each quiz for awhile.

20) Knight and SVC got the derecho.

Reaction Score
3) Stevie played a Moog bass for most of the 70's, while Ray played a Rhodes or Fender-Rhodes on most of the Doors' studio albums and all of their live shows.
No. 3 reminded me that I saw the Doors at a mixer during my first few weeks of college. I was a freshman at Brown in September of 1967 when the Doors played a mixer at the hockey rink, Meehan Auditorium. What a way to start school!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom