Wins for Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wins for Geno

Reaction Score
I would say wins because he already has the other one locked up.
And best career winning percentage which is also close to being locked up. I believe Mulkey is second there, but may lose ground the first year or two at LSU. So go for all three, maybe four sense I presume he also has the most coach of the year awards.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I heartily agree with what Magic Johnson said a long time ago: “After you retire, the only thing fans will remember about you is how many championships you won.” Wins are nice, championships are better. If Geno leaves with 15 championships, that may very well be a record that will NEVER be broken. THAT number would instantly become the "Holy Grail" of WCBB records for all other coaches to aim for.

Thought......If the NFL changed the name of the Super Bowl Trophy to the "Lombardi Trophy", I wonder if any consideration would be given to the idea of (after Geno retires) naming the WCBB championship trophy to the "Geno Auriemma Championship Trophy"? Who better to name it after? Something to think about. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So are we. In two years we could have the most talented UConn team ever. As hard as that is to imagine.
I think the Stewie years were the best and nothing going forward will top them. The days of 30 point victories against top teams like South Carolina or Louisville in championship games as was common during Stewie's time are over.

Reaction Score
Would I be correct in speculating that to pass Tara, UCONN will pretty much have to sweep Stanford for the remainder of Geno’s tenure?
Isn’t that what it comes down to?

Reaction Score
Would I be correct in speculating that to pass Tara, UCONN will pretty much have to sweep Stanford for the remainder of Geno’s tenure?
Or Stanford can just have a bad year where they lose 10 games. Stanford has averaged six losses per season over the past decade compared to UConn's two. A couple of average seasons by both teams would see Geno pull ahead.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It really comes down to when each retires - one more year of coaching from either will likely result in being the career wins leader regardless of the horse race up to that point. Neither coach will separate from the other by more that a single season extra of 25 wins and the next five years could easily result in the lead changing hands a few times.

Reaction Score
I heartily agree with what Magic Johnson said a long time ago: “After you retire, the only thing fans will remember about you is how many championships you won.” Wins are nice, championships are better. If Geno leaves with 15 championships, that may very well be a record that will NEVER be broken. THAT number would instantly become the "Holy Grail" of WCBB records for all other coaches to aim for.

Thought......If the NFL changed the name of the Super Bowl Trophy to the "Lombardi Trophy", I wonder if any consideration would be given to the idea of (after Geno retires) naming the WCBB championship trophy to the "Geno Auriemma Championship Trophy"? Who better to name it after? Something to think about. :rolleyes:
Name the ultimate trophy for women's basketball after a male would ruffle feathers in this era (yes the wooden award..different era).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if any consideration would be given to the idea of (after Geno retires) naming the WCBB championship trophy to the "Geno Auriemma Championship Trophy"?
1622135782616.png

Aw HELL no!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom