Wine thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Wine thread

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I like their Rose Champagne quite a bit. Not nasty at all. Billecart-Salmon Rose Champagne has been my go-to for years but I am not seeing it at the places I usually buy it and have been debating what I will do instead for the holidays.
Never had the Rose, I'm a brut guy, the drier the better, but extra brut can be very pricey with the good stuff. Love the Gruet label, but need something more special for the holidays. Also found Cristalino (under $10 a bottle) is a great Cava for Mimosas and Sunday Specials, does anyone outside lower Fairfield County know what those demons are?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
That's awesome. I can concur. I'm lucky to live just a 1/2 mile from a local "macro" liquor store where the owner is super cool and directs me to his best deals, while still being quality. Also a great place to pick up stuff for parties. I'm also a ten-minute drive from a place that is similar to what you are describing.
Fountainhead? Ever hear the hilarious story about how those guys got in trouble with liquor control at the old location on Winfield Street? Connected to the reggae music that's usually playing in the store :p

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never had the Rose, I'm a brut guy, the drier the better, but extra brut can be very pricey with the good stuff. Love the Gruet label, but need something more special for the holidays. Also found Cristalino (under $10 a bottle) is a great Cava for Mimosas and Sunday Specials, does anyone outside lower Fairfield County know what those demons are?
Both the Veuve Cliquot and Billecart-Salmon Roses are Brut. I love rose wine generally (mostly Rosatos from Italy) but always the dry ones. I drink it year-round. Great food wine imo. And with sparklers I also love how it looks in the glass, especially for festive occasions.

I have had the Cristalino Cava, but for some reason Prosecco sits better in my stomach than Cava does. I think it has something to do with the size of the bubbles; Prosecco seems to be a little gentler. For several years I bought cases of Flor Brut Rose Prosecco and always brought a bottle for the host when we were invited to holiday parties. Pretty bottle and easy gulper. It was always drained in a flash with everyone asking what it was and where they could get it. Now I can't find it anywhere!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd probably go with a Ripasso if I was looking for a Valpolicella.
That's just what we had at a nice place the other day. Very good, just what we we looking for. Admittedly, I used the Homer Simpson wine selection strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom