Williams is out sick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Williams is out sick

Reaction Score
This is peak boneyard. Whaler comes back from a couple of eye surgeries and makes everyone lose their mind again. This is why we need Whaler.
Is this what happened regarding his absence??

Reaction Score
It's gotta be tough to see the end of a dream. Most of Kwintin's posts seem to hint that he's trying to come to grips with that reality. Hopefully he looks back and sees that he was able to use his physical talents to give him a head start on a successful career with a free education, plus the fun of being a high major basketball player. I have a cousin that was a tremendous soccer player. After two years at a top academic / athletic program (that he wouldn't have gotten in to without soccer) he realized he was buried on the depth chart and would never really play. He quit the team with the blessing of the coach but finished school. There is no asterisk on his diploma that says "got in because of soccer." I hope Kwintin plays out his last few months, but if he doesn't, I hope he finishes his degree at UConn. Good luck either way.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
By the way -- isn't Hurley forbidden from publicly discussing the health of a student? How is he telling the press the young man is ill?

I don’t think so. Like if he started going into detail sure, but I think you can say a player is sick. Another similar case would be Diaco with that long snapper who ended up leaving

Reaction Score
On to the damage control. IFF he is gone, he didn't graduate. Does that affect the grad ratio, etc?

Reaction Score
On to the damage control. IFF he is gone, he didn't graduate. Does that affect the grad ratio, etc?
You're thinking of the APR - and him leaving in and of itself does not affect the APR. APR doesn't care if the player graduated, only that they're on track to graduate. So if KW does leave but finishes his semester and passes his classes, but does not graduate, APR is fine.

Reaction Score
You're thinking of the APR - and him leaving in and of itself does not affect the APR. APR doesn't care if the player graduated, only that they're on track to graduate. So if KW does leave but finishes his semester and passes his classes, but does not graduate, APR is fine.

I don't believe this is correct.

There's a retention point aspect as well.

apr_explain_new.jpg

So he'd be in the "leave while academically eligible" part (if he is in good standing) and that's 1 of 2 points.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker on the women's side missed a couple weeks with strep throat and was kept quarantined from the team, so it's feasible. Maybe they're linked.;)
Isnt Megan Walker Larrier's girlfriend?? Lol. I know he dates someone on the womens team

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
HUrley will never force out any of these players. It would have happened before the season started.

Reaction Score
It's gotta be tough to see the end of a dream. Most of Kwintin's posts seem to hint that he's trying to come to grips with that reality. Hopefully he looks back and sees that he was able to use his physical talents to give him a head start on a successful career with a free education, plus the fun of being a high major basketball player. I have a cousin that was a tremendous soccer player. After two years at a top academic / athletic program (that he wouldn't have gotten in to without soccer) he realized he was buried on the depth chart and would never really play. He quit the team with the blessing of the coach but finished school. There is no asterisk on his diploma that says "got in because of soccer." I hope Kwintin plays out his last few months, but if he doesn't, I hope he finishes his degree at UConn. Good luck either way.
Great message. Rather than point out the negative, let’s focus on the positive. His athleticism got him a front row seat to a blue blood program. Most basketball players would kill for this chance. He lived it. And he will forever be a part of this program with a free education to boot. I hope he holds his head high and sees this experience as a major accomplishment and not some sort of failure.

Reaction Score
If he left why would UConn have lied on Tuesday and say he was sick?

For the same reason Geno said 2 weeks ago that Lexi Gordon was out with a bad hamstring. She transferred the next week.

Reaction Score
Williams can easily have a pro career overseas. I think he’s coming to grips with not making it to the NBA, but he can certainly play pro ball. Honestly, I'm not so sure he can’t play effective minutes for us.

Reaction Score
Williams can easily have a pro career overseas. I think he’s coming to grips with not making it to the NBA, but he can certainly play pro ball. Honestly, I'm not so sure he can’t play effective minutes for us.

I've mentioned before I do think he'll get minutes for some Chinese team if he wants them. He has the hops, and they're less about good basketball and more about the image compared to other pro leagues.

But he can't find minutes for us. He has so, so little basketball IQ. I have never seen someone with so little awareness of where to be on defense, seeing ball/man, how to pivot, etc. at this level. GREAT kid, just not a baller at this level. Leaping ability isn't enough. Should have gone to a CCSU-level school and gotten on sports center every couple weeks.

Reaction Score
For the same reason Geno said 2 weeks ago that Lexi Gordon was out with a bad hamstring. She transferred the next week.
Well Hurley isn't Geno, is he?

More from Hurley on Williams in today's JI.

UConn senior forward Kwintin Williams was not in attendance for UConn’s win over Drexel on Tuesday night because he was sick, according to a school spokesman.

Williams was also not present for Thursday’s practice and Hurley continued to insist the 6-foot-7 native of Anchorage, Alaska was ill.

“Kwintin’s still under the weather,” Hurley said. “I don’t know what his availability is. He hasn’t been able to the last couple days in practice or in weight lifting or pretty much anything. So he’s sick.”

Huskies view Villanova as revenge game

From what we've seen from Hurley he doesn't seem like one to blatantly lie like that. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive.

Reaction Score
Funny how many here were campaigning for more PT. Good energy guy...and great athleticism, but just appears never had a coach to help him improve.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Still sick, apparently. He's not in the building today.

Reaction Score
Well Hurley isn't Geno, is he?

More from Hurley on Williams in today's JI.

UConn senior forward Kwintin Williams was not in attendance for UConn’s win over Drexel on Tuesday night because he was sick, according to a school spokesman.

Williams was also not present for Thursday’s practice and Hurley continued to insist the 6-foot-7 native of Anchorage, Alaska was ill.

“Kwintin’s still under the weather,” Hurley said. “I don’t know what his availability is. He hasn’t been able to the last couple days in practice or in weight lifting or pretty much anything. So he’s sick.”

Huskies view Villanova as revenge game

From what we've seen from Hurley he doesn't seem like one to blatantly lie like that. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive.

He's doing the tactful thing. Kwintin can announce a departure on his own schedule. Maybe he's still deciding if he wants to stau over the break. Not Hurley's job to do that, even if it is awkward in the meantime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom