Will we get a 30 point game from someone this season? | The Boneyard

Will we get a 30 point game from someone this season?

Reaction Score
We haven't really had anyone go off this year. No 30 from Sticks or 40 from Brimah type performance.

Vital would be a candidate. We know he can get hot and score in bunches. He has calmed his offensive game for DH but he would be the odds on favorite to have a big night.

Bouk has the skills and his offensive rebounding could get him the shots needed for a 30-pointer.

Carlton gets enough shots and he gets to the line. If he has a night where he is converting Hurley would probably ride him.

If AG finds his touch from the arc, he could make someone pay for leaving him alone. He has the ball enough, so if he did get hot it's possible. I get the feeling that AG is nowhere near his ceiling and somewhere along the line he could have a great night. And like Carlton, I think if he gets hot, than Hurley will lengthen his lease.

Tough to see anyone else (with no Polley) scoring that much. Actually, it's tough to see any of these guys doing it. But guys do go off. Be nice to see a Husky lighting up the a score board.

Reaction Score
Is our offense substitution pattern even optimized for a 30 point effort? I've seen our hot players getting pulled for no good reason, even when they are making buckets. Also I've seen substitutions ruin the flow, or destroy the combo (e.g. Vital/AG vs Vital/Adams) which was effective for the hot player.

In other words, I'm not convinced all the parts play well together or staff even puts the best combinations on the floor for long periods. When Hurley and staff finally recognize the best combinations we may get to see a 30 point game from one of our players.

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, we've had 6 different players lead in scoring and we've just started league play. And Akok isn't even one of them. We could easily have 7, and that hasn't been done at UConn in a while.

Reaction Score
Yeah maybe from vital in a triple ot game when he shoots like 10 for 35 from the field.

Reaction Score
CV is the candidate for sure. He has a 30 point game and a 29 point game. He can hit multiple threes and gets to the line a bunch. Also, obviously isn't shy when it comes to shooting lol

pj

Reaction Score
CV is the candidate for sure. He has a 30 point game and a 29 point game. He can hit multiple threes and gets to the line a bunch. Also, obviously isn't shy when it comes to shooting lol

Since no one on this team has exceptional offensive ability, the scoring responsibility should be widely distributed. Giving one guy a lot of shots makes the team easy to defend.

So, it will be a bad sign if anyone on the team has a 30 point game. If that happens, it means DH is losing the team.

pj

Reaction Score
Alright I give up, I can't tell anymore. Is this serious or are you mocking someone?

Badly worded no doubt, but I meant that because none of our players shoot well or create their shots, for any one player to reach 30 he will have to jack up a lot of shots, i.e. have resort to hero ball, and DH will not allow that.

Reaction Score
Good God no. We struggle to score 70 points. I will be happy if we win more than we lose the rest of the way. I hope someday we learn that recruiting good shooters in addition to athletes is good to do. Bouk has to stop jumping and then figuring out who to pass to. If you are going to jump then shoot the ball Bouk.

Reaction Score
I have doubts 25 points will be reached by any player. It's a struggle for this team on offense most of the time and not having Polley's range to extend defenses and create space is not going to help.

Reaction Score
I have doubts 25 points will be reached by any player. It's a struggle for this team on offense most of the time and not having Polley's range to extend defenses and create space is not going to help.
Except Vital’s already done it twice this season...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
already been done this season
research it

Reaction Score
Badly worded no doubt, but I meant that because none of our players shoot well or create their shots, for any one player to reach 30 he will have to jack up a lot of shots, i.e. have resort to hero ball, and DH will not allow that.
[/QUOTE]
Congratulations to the OP on one of the best Basketball questions asked on the board recently, It is a good thought provoking question.
Although I have been and will continue to advocate more balance in our attack I believe that balance is also the key to someone scoring 30.
Vital ,especially not being doubled , is far and away the most likely candidate.
He is the probably the best shooter left and in a closely called game capable of double digits from the line. However Vital is having his second worse three point shooting % years in his career. Despite taking better shots.
Why ? No JA to set him up ? Teams focusing on him as our main threat? Or is it lack of balance. That’s ones kind of a separate topic of discussion.Ref. He shot over .40% from the three last year , 36.6% as a sixth man freshman, 31.8% on that undermanned team and is shooting only 32.2% this year.

We have yet to see if Bouknight can hit the three consistently he is 7-21 which isn’t terrible but a small sample .The three ball is critical for anyone hitting the number except Carlton.
Our big man went to the line a dozen times against WSU and hammering him will continue to be a strategy but he is among the worse FT shooters on the team, however you never know. If the hook is falling and he makes FT’s its a possibility.
The reality is it will probably be someone unexpected like Brimah’s 40 .
I will tell you this the biggest game changer for our offense is if Akok is the break out guy.

Reaction Score
I would love for that to happen but I want to be realistic and say no. I hope I’m proven wrong but CV is our leading scorer and he’s averaging 13ppg. I would love for AG to find his shot and become that guy we need.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I do not care if anyone has a 30 point game this season.

Let's start with eradicating no-look passes with under a minute to go in the game.

Reaction Score
Not unless the offense starts speeding up and attacking early in the shot clock. Lots of wasted time with token movement at the top of the key until the clock’s at 10. We need more possessions per game and fewer turnovers. 10-15 turnovers means roughly 10-15 points left on the floor at a 50% scoring conversion rate.

Reaction Score
We just don’t have a star. We have a team of good role players, but no star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom