Will we ever see another player make the career stats | The Boneyard

Will we ever see another player make the career stats

Reaction Score
Alltime UConn career stats can be misleading of course because of early departure, transfers, or perhaps the quality of opponents, teammates or coaching along your journey. And now you can include limited games played.
You also have a commitment to the university, do we have the gym rats putting 100% in?, what's in it for me attitude......there are many factors this list may never change.
Whaley will make the rebounds list in his 5 year stay.
This is a Wiki UConn stat list from 1950-2021, however it's an interesting view of the players who are in multiple key all time stats, along with years of service.

Attachments

• statleaders.GIF
    statleaders.GIF
    174.1 KB · Views: 407
Reaction Score
I’m a stat guy and a couple of take sways
Bazz was a pretty good all round guard.
The steals list is interesting because 3 guys on the list all played on the dream team and the Dove whose not on the list lead the team in steals. Best use of defense to create offense in our history.
As great a rebounder as Toby Kimball was averaging 17 rebounds a game and getting 26 in an NCAA game.
He is a distant second to Art Quimby who has the most amazing stat almost incomprehensible. averaging over 20 rebounds a game.
I was a bit surprised Whaley isn’t on the all time blocks or rebounds list but remember he barely played as a sophomore and only started to get substantial minutes after Akok went down his junior year.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You may be right that stats are misleading since some of the greats / highest upside are gone after 2 or 3 years.

But to say that no one can crack the top 10 in any of these career categories because of the “me attitude” and not being “gym rats” is where I don’t follow you. We absolutely have gym rats putting 100% in.

There will be plenty more Vitals and Whaleys who come through that door and end up top 10 in a few major categories because they bleed blue and work at it every single day.

Edit: each one of those lists except rebounds have at least 1 player on it who played in the past decade.

Reaction Score
Vital tenth in scoring and third in assists? That’s incredibly impressive, even more so when you realize he never played in the postseason.
What? Vital probably isn't top 100 all-time in career assists. He has 259 assists in 4 seasons...Taliek has 253 in one season and Marcus Williams has 243 in one season.

Reaction Score
Vital tenth in scoring and third in assists? That’s incredibly impressive, even more so when you realize he never played in the postseason.
Vital most amazing stat was he wasn’t a top 100 recruit and was the least regarded of the his recruiting class.
Barely saw action until late in the Syracuse game at MSG making two clutch free thoughts to ice it for the good guys.
He did become the super sub on that short handed team playing a number of positions.

Reaction Score
Alltime UConn career stats can be misleading of course because of early departure, transfers, or perhaps the quality of opponents, teammates or coaching along your journey. And now you can include limited games played.
You also have a commitment to the university, do we have the gym rats putting 100% in?, what's in it for me attitude......there are many factors this list may never change.
Whaley will make the rebounds list in his 5 year stay.
This is a Wiki UConn stat list from 1950-2021, however it's an interesting view of the players who are in multiple key all time stats, along with years of service.
If Sheffer had four years of eligibility, he would likely be UConn’s all-time assist leader and second or third in steals. He was not athletic, but he was incredibly crafty. I’ve always wondered if an NBA career would have materialized had he showed up in Clippers camp after they drafted him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What? Vital probably isn't top 100 all-time in career assists. He has 259 assists in 4 seasons...Taliek has 253 in one season and Marcus Williams has 243 in one season.
Steals, not assists:
AC016D2A-DF6C-42BA-A19C-72E02BAE09B2.jpeg

Reaction Score
You may be right that stats are misleading since some of the greats / highest upside are gone after 2 or 3 years.

But to say that no one can crack the top 10 in any of these career categories because of the “me attitude” and not being “gym rats” is where I don’t follow you. We absolutely have gym rats putting 100% in.

There will be plenty more Vitals and Whaleys who come through that door and end up top 10 in a few major categories because they bleed blue and work at it every single day.

Edit: each one of those lists except rebounds have at least 1 player on it who played in the past decade.
Sorry, the intention was the future of the game and the unknown.....and by no means intended on the current crew....

Reaction Score
Boat is one of my favorite Huskies and I had no idea he was 8th in all time points.

Here's an RJ Cole stat. Last time I checked, he was 3rd among active players in points scored in D1 and also 8th or 9th in total assists. Not a bad career at all.

Reaction Score

A guy like RJ will come around again. If Cole played his whole career here he wouldn't have the numbers he put up at Howard but he would still have some gaudy 4 or 5 yr numbers

Reaction Score
If Sheffer had four years of eligibility, he would likely be UConn’s all-time assist leader and second or third in steals. He was not athletic, but he was incredibly crafty. I’ve always wondered if an NBA career would have materialized had he showed up in Clippers camp after they drafted him.
He's probably the second best passer I've seen at UConn after Marcus Williams.

Reaction Score
He's probably the second best passer I've seen at UConn after Marcus Williams.
I remember going to one of Marcus Williams' games at the XL Center. He had 16 assists and displayed incredible court vision. He averaged 8.6 assists his Junior season, he really was an elite passer.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gotcha. It's really a shame Vital didn't have a chance to try and make the tournament his last season, he was playing the best basketball of his career and was looking like one of the best guards in the country at the very end of his UConn career.
Agree

Reaction Score
Boat is one of my favorite Huskies and I had no idea he was 8th in all time points.

Here's an RJ Cole stat. Last time I checked, he was 3rd among active players in points scored in D1 and also 8th or 9th in total assists. Not a bad career at all.
Bazz and Boat were not only good and stayed for four years but played significant minutes as freshman. I don’t recall a major Bazz injury but Boat missed a lot of time as a senior, which possibly costs us a NCAA bid.

Reaction Score
It will take a special "type" of player to crack the top 3-5 in the "big" stats (Pts, rebounds, assists) in the current CBB landscape. By "type," it's a guy who's size/athleticism etc. does not translate to the NBA and therefore is a very good player for four years. These are your typical small guards and undersized 4's or 5's (Boat, Bazz, Jeff Adrien, Sanogo types.)

Reaction Score
It will take a special "type" of player to crack the top 3-5 in the "big" stats (Pts, rebounds, assists) in the current CBB landscape. By "type," it's a guy who's size/athleticism etc. does not translate to the NBA and therefore is a very good player for four years. These are your typical small guards and undersized 4's or 5's (Boat, Bazz, Jeff Adrien, Sanogo types.)
Agreed. That's why stats on a per-minute basis are much more interesting, but the only all-time lists anyone ever talks about are cumulative stats. Presumably for that reason, it's harder to find those per-minute lists.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
CV is one of my all time favorite Huskies - top 5 - based on his hard work, determination, all the crap he got for being a KO recruit and what was said about him on the BY
Its a damn shame he didn't get to play in a tournament his last year - he had the mojo working game in and game out before that was squashed by COVID

Reaction Score
CV is one of my all time favorite Huskies - top 5 - based on his hard work, determination, all the crap he got for being a KO recruit and what was said about him on the BY
Its a damn shame he didn't get to play in a tournament his last year - he had the mojo working game in and game out before that was squashed by COVID
If we had him we would have beaten Maryland easily.
Bouk was doubled and tripled but the other guys were prone to be spectators and Bouk tried to go it alone.
CV was not only a second option he was the fearless leader we lacked to shape up the team.
He wasn’t the most talented guy but I would be hard pressed to think of a guy with a bigger heart and an unshakable swagger that rubs off on his teammates.
Playing along side a guy as tough as him gives you confidence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow a lot of steals on those late 80s/early 90s teams

This is from my flawed memory as a student and recent grad in that time. Calhoun had not yet gotten to the point of recruiting really impactful centers and shot blockers yet (in an era when they were very valued compared to now). Donyell arrived in 91-92. Travis Knight two years later. But those teams had great defensive guards and wings, and JC employed that zone press and half court man that focused on steals. 1988-89 averaged 9 steals and 3 blocks a game. Once Donyell arrived it as 8 and 5. It wasn't until the 2000s that UConn became shot block U. In 2002-03 it was 5.8 steals and 7.7 blocks.

Reaction Score
I’m a stat guy and a couple of take sways
Bazz was a pretty good all round guard.
The steals list is interesting because 3 guys on the list all played on the dream team and the Dove whose not on the list lead the team in steals. Best use of defense to create offense in our history.
As great a rebounder as Toby Kimball was averaging 17 rebounds a game and getting 26 in an NCAA game.
He is a distant second to Art Quimby who has the most amazing stat almost incomprehensible. averaging over 20 rebounds a game.
I was a bit surprised Whaley isn’t on the all time blocks or rebounds list but remember he barely played as a sophomore and only started to get substantial minutes after Akok went down his junior year.
Whaley is just a few blocks away from passing Travis Knight. Knight had 179, Whaley has 176. If he keeps his current pace and we don't miss any more games due to COVID, he's on track to finish #6 all time. If not for the lost sophomore year, he'd likely be top 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom