Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Loss of scholarship or 2 only

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UNC generates way too much $$$ from their Athletic programs to get penalized... It ain't happening.... It isn't right nor fair (see PSU too.. their penalty immediately cut), but $$$ talks and BS runs a marathon.

I agree that it is very unlikely that UNC will be penalized because of the money the Tar Heels generate for the NCAA. By the way, the same can just about be said for Kentucky, especially as the Wildcats are coached by a used car salesman who is the only person to have had 2 final 4 appearances vacated in NCAA History. His Kentucky program, with it's annual stock-pile of 1 and Done McD's players, have basically marginalized the concept of student-athlete while somehow staking around the APR issue that snagged UConn.

With respect to Penn St, what happened there was horrible; but, it was a criminal issue, which the NCAA has no power to investigate as it not a government agency with the legal authority to prosecute such. Reduce scholarships, ban playoff/bowl appearances, yes. Fine Penn St $60 million, which is basically state owned, taxpayer paid (tuition and state financial support), no. Emmert wanted his share of blood to show how tough he is and get his 15 minutes of glory. The Legal folks inside the NCAA knew that this went well beyond their authority and at the first sign of a suit, immediately reversed itself.

Reaction Score
The problem, as I think the NCAA sees it, is that it involves all sports, not just basketball. Agreeing on a punishment that fits football, cross-country, and women's volleyball will be beyond them. The path of least resistance is to declare it an academic problem, and that the athletic departments knew nothing (Sgt. Schultz) of the academic fraud.

Reaction Score
The problem, as I think the NCAA sees it, is that it involves all sports, not just basketball. Agreeing on a punishment that fits football, cross-country, and women's volleyball will be beyond them. The path of least resistance is to declare it an academic problem, and that the athletic departments knew nothing (Sgt. Schultz) of the academic fraud.

...and comparing Mark Emmert to Colonel Klink with be an insult to Colonel Klink's competency.

Reaction Score
It has to be worse than actual APR infractions you would think. UNC basically sanctioned fake classes resulting in fake grades resulting in the fake meeting of APR requirements for years.

E) 3 years probation
2 years post-season tourney ban
loss of 3 BB scholarships year 1, 2 BB scholarships year 2, 1 BB scholarship year 3 (higher numbers for FB)

Reaction Score
...and comparing Mark Emmert to Colonel Klink with be an insult to Colonel Klink's competency.
Incompetent? Emmett is uniquely capable of punishing his critics (UConn), rewarding his supporters (LSU), and remaining highly paid and highly respected. If he were Col. Klink, he would be running Auschwitz and receiving a Nobel peace prize.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They'll lose some scholarships and Emmert will put out a stern statement saying they should never do this again.

Reaction Score
You'd think, since the NCAA is clearly so open to retroactively enforcing rules, that they'd go back and retroactively make players taking said classes academically ineligible, thus forcing the games in which they played to be vacated.

Former players are suing for not being able to get the education they wanted. Basically saying they were pressured in to taking certain classes. You know more should be coming out from those trials (unless they're paid off...). You've also had the governor and a former DoJ official involved.

It may not be soon, but I still somehow have enough faith in humanity left to believe that UNC will get hit hard for this. NCAA and ESPN might fight it to the bitter end, but eventually, things will pile up too high. I dunno how many academic scandals get their own wikipedia page. This is a big deal, and Emmert is under investigation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It has to be worse than actual APR infractions you would think. UNC basically sanctioned fake classes resulting in fake grades resulting in the fake meeting of APR requirements for years.

E) 3 years probation
2 years post-season tourney ban
loss of 3 BB scholarships year 1, 2 BB scholarships year 2, 1 BB scholarship year 3 (higher numbers for FB)
Something like this wouldn't surprise me. It's light for the offense, but it can be argued that it is a sever punishment. UNC needs to be vacating titles, NCAA tourny money and wins for the past decade, minimally. Then they ought to lose accreditation. Otherwise any future enforcment is Stop.

Reaction Score
Your post reminded me of something that's pissing me off. Anyone notice how ESPN is calling non-conference games "ACC Basketball" if one of the teams is an ACC team? They did that with UConn-Duke and then again with Louisville-Kentucky. WTF. I want to punch ESPN in the throat
With ACC plastered on the baseline and a big Duke D on the basketball no less.

Reaction Score
I'm all for making fun of the NCAA, but I think you guys are off base here.

Emmert basically painted himself in a corner, to the point where the NCAA has to hand down at least a reasonably tough punishment.

Reaction Score
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...identifies-employees-facing.html#.VKRmRlozJ0M

CHAPEL HILL -- UNC officials Wednesday disclosed in a settlement over a public records lawsuit that four employees were either fired, resigned or are in the process of being fired in the wake of a detailed investigation into the longstanding academic fraud that primarily benefited athletes.

Among those the university is seeking to fire is Jan Boxill, the former faculty leader who was found to have steered athletes to classes that she knew had no instruction. Boxill is a philosophy professor and former head of a UNC center for ethics. UNC officials said Boxill is appealing “the University’s intention to discharge her.” Her case is now before the University Faculty Hearings Committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom