Will Uconn Further hurt the Big East | The Boneyard

Will Uconn Further hurt the Big East

• Thread starter fortebleedsblue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

If Uconn were to pull off a Big East championship would it be one more nail in the conference coffin? I watched the ESPN quick bit on the ncaaf front page with all of the remaining coaches giving I put except for tadaaaa HCPP. But the catcher for ,e was the end where the analyst noted we still have a BCS opportunity this year and that its 1 more chance for a "Primier" team like South Florida to step up and make a point. Made me wonder if this conference needs a team like Uconn to finish in its rightful preseason spot.

Also where is the interest ... Seems to be sorely lacking lately. Close to no media coverage and the school is begging people to buy tickets with incentives it just seems like there is no buzz to the up coming season. Is it the economy, the loss of AQ, no hope for play off, espn ignoring til tv deal, last years record .. What?

http://once.unicornmedia.com/now/od...8219978&UMADPARAMcsid=espnmobileweb:ncf:index

Reaction Score
It tough to perform well when your coach has one foot out the door.

Reaction Score
I think it is a question of performance, rather than who does the performing. The fact is that the Big East is going to be criticized unless its champ wins the bowl game. It is simply a fact. the ACC champ can get blown out of the stadium, as it was last year and as it was the year UConn played Oklahoma, and nobody said the ACC doesn't deserve a BCS bid. But the fact that we made a better game of it than Va Tech in 2011 or certainly Clemson last year is totally ignored. And while I don't think it is really a conspiracy to devalue the Big East as such, I do think that to some degree it has become "conventional wisdom" which is very hard to break.

Reaction Score
Also where is the interest ... Seems to be sorely lacking lately. Close to no media coverage and the school is begging people to buy tickets with incentives it just seems like there is no buzz to the up coming season. Is it the economy, the loss of AQ, no hope for play off, espn ignoring til tv deal, last years record

http://once.unicornmedia.com/now/od...8219978&UMADPARAMcsid=espnmobileweb:ncf:index

Yes. It is those things. This has been the least interesting offseason on the football board since we moved to the Rent, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that the broader fan population is also finding it hard to get excited through all those negatives.

Reaction Score
This is one of the more odd posts in a while.

Football is a very easy sport to grasp when it comes to marketing and excitement, and can be summed up in four words:

"Everyone loves a winner".

Period.

Last year was a transition year. No quarterback, new head coach, conference realignment. Hangover from Fiesta Bowl, Burton saga.

This year WHEN, not if, UCONN blasts UMASS on August 30th (29 freaking days away, people!), there will be a bit of a buzz. Whitmer looks great, the D is solid, Lyle got better. Then when NC State gets pasted the following week, watch what winning does to a fan base, the media, and college football fans in general. NC State is projected to be a top 25 team this year. And we get them at the Rent. It will be a beautiful, warm, sunshiney day that day. Talk about this season's lack of interest late Saturday on September 8th. I guarantee you will have a different perspective.

Reaction Score
The key is not which team goes to the BCS, but whether it puts up a good performance once there.

May the best team win! That's what the conference needs. And may the Huskies be the best team!

Well here's hoping our offense turns the corner this year ( permanently ) and brings the added excitement that's been missing on a consistent basis... Every BCS conference, besides the SEC ( the minor leagues for the NFL ), has an offensive that puts up points... they sling it all over the place ... fact is we don't ... we haven't, consistently ( since DanO )...

Reaction Score
I think it is a question of performance, rather than who does the performing. The fact is that the Big East is going to be criticized unless its champ wins the bowl game. It is simply a fact. the ACC champ can get blown out of the stadium, as it was last year and as it was the year UConn played Oklahoma, and nobody said the ACC doesn't deserve a BCS bid. But the fact that we made a better game of it than Va Tech in 2011 or certainly Clemson last year is totally ignored. And while I don't think it is really a conspiracy to devalue the Big East as such, I do think that to some degree it has become "conventional wisdom" which is very hard to break.

Todays' Jeff Jacobs' column was mostly about the need for BE stability, but it opened with:

"NEWPORT, R.I. —
You look at the schools that will play football in the Big East beginning in 2013. You look at the final Associated Press poll from last season. You see Boise State eighth, Houston 18th and Cincinnati 25th. You look for the ACC schools and find Virginia Tech 21st, Clemson 23rd and Florida State 25th.
You think about how last season's Big East BCS representative West Virginia routed Clemson 70-33 in the Orange Bowl, and how the ACC is 2-13 and the Big East is 7-7 all-time in BCS games. You consider it all, and you wonder, exactly who started the myth that the ACC is superior in football to the Big East? You give it a good mental rinse. Granted, the league will be all over the map, but even we cynics have got to admit one thing. The 12-team Big East in 2013 should be pretty good."

Whether one generally agrees with JJ or not, it is good to see, at least, one media person use facts instead of "tradition" related dogma. The league can't keep letting intellectually corrupt "experts" sell the ACC as being better than the BE simply because it's the ACC. The BE should add things like conference Computer Rankings, drafted players per team, etc. to the info above and use the package to hammer and hammer and hammer media outlets until the truth leads to common sense. The BE should treat the ACC the way Coke(TM) treats Pepsi(TM) or Cablevision treats its competitors, i.e. all-out media war. Put the $40.0MM in a war chest and get to fighting.

Why does the BE allow itself to be college football's punching bag? The question drives me nuts.

Reaction Score
This is one of the more odd posts in a while.

Just not enough negative energy lately to feed some people that feed off that kind of stuff I suppose.

As for football, I hope that by the time we reach conference play, that we're in the top 25, we've demonstrated the ability to put the ball over the goal line on offense regualry, and every opposing QB taking the field against us, is doing so, with fear in their eyes.

It's doable. It's most certianly doable.

Reaction Score
I reject the notion that UConn hurt the big east in the first place. No matter how well the Big East has done in BCS bowls as compared to the ACC people will continue to make the argument the Big East is less deserving than the ACC. It's not UConn's fault. It's the fault of the conference leadership for not force feeding the media a list of conference accomplishments.

We lost that game because OU was much, much, better. It had nothing to do with the coach and his cowardly exit. The players didn't perform poorly, except for a few dropped passes, and a couple blown assignments. Dropped passes and big plays against our secondary were not unheard of before or after that game. Even accepting that they did perform poorly (which they didn't) they didn't know the coach was leaving. You can't blame their perfomance on something they had no knowledge of.

Reaction Score
We now go to Fortebleedsblue with the Channel 5 Super Doppler PreSeason Outlook

Olie.jpg

It's Gonna Rain... I mean Suck

Reaction Score
I can't even begin to understand what this thread is about..............

Reaction Score
premier team like s fla???? this same PREMIER team that is 9-19 in the conf the past 4 yrs..........i'm jacked for this season as a lot of people i know are also. glad outsiders are sleeping on us. i really feel we can do something special. maybe it's false bravado that whitmer can be the one to lead us to the next level, but if we can eliminate 25-50% of dropped passes & poorly thrown balls i can see it happening. i believe coach P has the program on the right track. his success at syr & 6 yrs of nfl experience will get us there. not to piss in your corn flakes bleedsblue but what is with that comment about maybe uconn should finish in it's rightful preseason place?
maybe u should have coach P pass that on to the players.........

Reaction Score
We singlehandedly caused the Big East to lose AQ. We also forced WVU to leave and scared TCU away.

Reaction Score
that's why i will always applaud the 2010 team. they showed great determination winning the last 5 games to make it to the bcs bowl. i'm not into moral victories but they hung for 3 qtrs with a storied program like okl. i don't know how many times i've watched that robbie frey ko return.....

Reaction Score
I reject the notion that UConn hurt the big east in the first place. No matter how well the Big East has done in BCS bowls as compared to the ACC people will continue to make the argument the Big East is less deserving than the ACC. It's not UConn's fault. It's the fault of the conference leadership for not force feeding the media a list of conference accomplishments.

We lost that game because OU was much, much, better. It had nothing to do with the coach and his cowardly exit. The players didn't perform poorly, except for a few dropped passes, and a couple blown assignments. Dropped passes and big plays against our secondary were not unheard of before or after that game. Even accepting that they did perform poorly (which they didn't) they didn't know the coach was leaving. You can't blame their perfomance on something they had no knowledge of.

Of course he can. The only reason Palatine doesn't blame Edsall for global warming is that Palatine doesn't believe in global warming. And I'm sure he's considering how to blame Edsall for it anyway.

Reaction Score
Todays' Jeff Jacobs' column was mostly about the need for BE stability, but it opened with:
Whether one generally agrees with JJ or not, it is good to see, at least, one media person use facts instead of "tradition" related dogma. The league can't keep letting intellectually corrupt "experts" sell the ACC as being better than the BE simply because it's the ACC. The BE should add things like conference Computer Rankings, drafted players per team, etc. to the info above and use the package to hammer and hammer and hammer media outlets until the truth leads to common sense. The BE should treat the ACC the way Coke(TM) treats Pepsi(TM) or Cablevision treats its competitors, i.e. all-out media war. Put the $40.0MM in a war chest and get to fighting.

Why does the BE allow itself to be college football's punching bag? The question drives me nuts.

for the most part i don't care much for Jeff Jacobs but he hit the nail on the head. it's only going to get worse when ESPN is no longer carrying BE games. the BE really needs to promote itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom