Will this year's freshmen Bigs rival last year's guards? | The Boneyard

Will this year's freshmen Bigs rival last year's guards?

Reaction Score
The 24 recruiting class had a LOT more highly ranked bigs than last year - or next years.

Strong should have an opportunity to get major minutes at UConn, maybe even start. Edwards will have a tough time getting minutes in SCar's deep lineup. (but I said that last year about Fulwiley & Kitts). I don't see Adhel Tac breaking through that insane depth. Her redshirt was used up in the Spring, but more time to heal can't hurt.

Notre Dame seems to have an opening for true post Koval and her strength should allows her to muscle up against ACC schools. Is Toby Fournier at Duke her biggest freshman challenger? What a leaper! Or is it Duke's Arianna Robinson? Justice Carlton at Texas? Another strong, big body.

And there are a number of other quality Bigs in this Class, I generally expect bigs to take more development so they probably won't have the immediate effectiveness of last years guards, but it could be a special class of bigs,

Reaction Score
Roberson was not very impressive in the U18 games last week. But Edwards was.

Reaction Score
The 24 recruiting class had a LOT more highly ranked bigs than last year - or next years.

Strong should have an opportunity to get major minutes at UConn, maybe even start. Edwards will have a tough time getting minutes in SCar's deep lineup. (but I said that last year about Fulwiley & Kitts). I don't see Adhel Tac breaking through that insane depth. Her redshirt was used up in the Spring, but more time to heal can't hurt.

Notre Dame seems to have an opening for true post Koval and her strength should allows her to muscle up against ACC schools. Is Toby Fournier at Duke her biggest freshman challenger? What a leaper! Or is it Duke's Arianna Robinson? Justice Carlton at Texas? Another strong, big body.

And there are a number of other quality Bigs in this Class, I generally expect bigs to take more development so they probably won't have the immediate effectiveness of last years guards, but it could be a special class of bigs,

UConn doesn't have much choice but to play Strong a lot (and they would anyway I think).

I am a little unsure how Edwards fits - the roster makes my head hurt to think about.

I think Roberson's best days are a year or two down the road.

All in all I think Strong is the only one who might be all American and that seems iffy.

So I don't think the impact will be nearly the same.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have much choice but to play Strong a lot (and they would anyway I think).

I am a little unsure how Edwards fits - the roster makes my head hurt to think about.

I think Roberson's best days are a year or two down the road.

All in all I think Strong is the only one who might be all American and that seems iffy.

So I don't think the impact will be nearly the same.
I don’t see Strong playing much for UConn next season. Maybe 5-10 minutes per game. Geno played a 4 guard line-up successfully last Year and it takes bigs longer to adjust to the college game. I see Sarah as behind Jana, Ice, Ayanna and Aubrey when she gets healthy to play the big in a 4 guard rotation.

Koval and Edwards seems the most likely to have a big impact on their teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the impact freshmen will be:

Sarah Strong-top player in the class, should fit in well at UCONN.

Jaloni Cambridge-#2 prospect, should get big minutes at OSU

Syla Swords-she looked good in McDonald’s AA game and joins a depleted Michigan roster. Likely is a major player early.

Toby Fournier-insane athlete. I think she should be rated much higher than 9 based on what I’ve seen.

A lot of the other highly ranked players are joining stacked rosters and likely won’t be major impact players this year (ex Joyce Edwards, Morgan Chelli, Allie Ziebell, Jordan Lee, Justice Carlton, Kennedy Smith, Madisen McDaniel).

Reaction Score
I don't think so but great question! I think Strong going to UConn, Edwards going to SC and Koval going to Notre Dame are going to limit how much impact they have on their teams in year one because there are too many stars on each of those teams that will have a bigger impact.

If Miles was healthy last year I don't think Hidalgo would have had the same role and the same impact she had as a freshman. While Koval doesn't have much in front of her in the frontcourt, I think the star power in the backcourt and with Westbeld will limit how much she needs to do.

Strong isn't going to outshine Bueckers, the return or Fudd or if any of their freshman have a Sophomore jump.

Edwards will be great right away but will spilt minutes with many other great players that the stats won't shine.

As someone hoping that all the top teams (and teams in general) stay healthy this season, I really hope the bigs don't have the same impact as last years guards.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Strong playing much for UConn next season. Maybe 5-10 minutes per game. Geno played a 4 guard line-up successfully last Year and it takes bigs longer to adjust to the college game. I see Sarah as behind Jana, Ice, Ayanna and Aubrey when she gets healthy to play the big in a 4 guard rotation.

Aren’t you the person that said Stewie was washed up

Reaction Score

Syla Swords-she looked good in McDonald’s AA game and joins a depleted Michigan roster. Likely is a major player early.

Toby Fournier-insane athlete. I think she should be rated much higher than 9 based on what I’ve seen.

A lot of the other highly ranked players are joining stacked rosters and likely won’t be major impact players this year (ex Joyce Edwards, Morgan Chelli, Allie Ziebell, Jordan Lee, Justice Carlton, Kennedy Smith, Madisen McDaniel).
Fournier’s frame, length, and athleticism at the PF spot reminds me a lot of Stewart. Not saying she’s at that level overall but the blocks, rebounding, etc. all resonate.

Reaction Score

The knock against Fournier is her shooting accuracy. Jumpshots, especially from outside the block area, continues to be her weak spot. If Kara and the coaching staff can figure out how to improve her mechanics, she'll be much more dangerous than she is, which is a scary thought.

Also looking forward to seeing how Swords's game translates in the Big 10. My only concern is the amount of basketball she's played the last couple summers because of her commitment to the Canadian National team. Sometimes I wonder if it's even more than what Aaliyah Edwards had to manage at this point of her career.

Reaction Score
Fournier’s frame, length, and athleticism at the PF spot reminds me a lot of Stewart. Not saying she’s at that level overall but the blocks, rebounding, etc. all resonate.
Fournier is only 6'2" and offense is way too unpolished to be compared to Stewie imo. She's very athletic though and will be interesting to see her next season in college. What set Stewart apart was her guard like skills in a freakishly athletic and tall body. I wonder if Fran Belibi might be a better comp.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

The knock against Fournier is her shooting accuracy. Jumpshots, especially from outside the block area, continues to be her weak spot. If Kara and the coaching staff can figure out how to improve her mechanics, she'll be much more dangerous than she is, which is a scary thought.

Also looking forward to seeing how Swords's game translates in the Big 10. My only concern is the amount of basketball she's played the last couple summers because of her commitment to the Canadian National team. Sometimes I wonder if it's even more than what Aaliyah Edwards had to manage at this point of her career.
From the highlight clips I’ve seen, Angel Reese comes to mind as a player comparison. Fournier is a better leaper and probably not as polished as Angel was offensively but she is very high energy, has good hands, and has potential for elite level rebounding and defense. She’s definitely one of the more unique prospects in the class.

Reaction Score
Fournier is only 6'2" and offense is way too unpolished to be compared to Stewie imo. She's very athletic though and will be interesting to see her next season in college. What set Stewart apart was her guard like skills in a freakishly athletic and tall body. I wonder if Fran Belibi might be a better comp.
My comparison would be to SCar’s Ashlynn Watkins who is also a freakish athlete who can dunk and run to block shots all over the court - including some 3 point attempts. Ashlynn only got about 9 minutes per game as a frosh ( behind Boston and company) but not all was 4th quarter time. She saw 1st half time against Stanford and other contenders. didn’t excel but held her own.

By her second year she had developed a baby hook and a decent midrange behind Kamilla and was a terror as a shot blocker and rebounder. I considered her the best “6th man” in the country especially on defense but capable on offense. I don’t know if Duke can keep Fournier limited her first year while she develops but I think she can be scary good down the line.

Reaction Score
My comparison would be to SCar’s Ashlynn Watkins who is also a freakish athlete who can dunk and run to block shots all over the court - including some 3 point attempts. Ashlynn only got about 9 minutes per game as a frosh ( behind Boston and company) but not all was 4th quarter time. She saw 1st half time against Stanford and other contenders. didn’t excel but held her own.

By her second year she had developed a baby hook and a decent midrange behind Kamilla and was a terror as a shot blocker and rebounder. I considered her the best “6th man” in the country especially on defense but capable on offense. I don’t know if Duke can keep Fournier limited her first year while she develops but I think she can be scary good down the line.
Personally, I thought Fournier's shot would have been better by now. Her HS coach is considered to be one of the best in the country, and helped develop Edwards and Lattimore. It's been a head scratcher for some Canadian fans.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Geno played the four guard offense because that was his only option.

That is not the case for this upcoming season. Ice, Jana and Sarah will be major contributors. Patterson is a question mark and Griffin will not be back until February.

Sarah is too talented for your prediction.

Reaction Score
Geno played the four guard offense because that was his only option.

That is not the case for this upcoming season. Ice, Jana and Sarah will be major contributors. Patterson is a question mark and Griffin will not be back until February.

Sarah is too talented for your prediction.
Given the amount of quality guards and the lack of post depth, I don’t see how he won’t have to play 4 guards this season as well.

Reaction Score

Thats not a bad comp! I do think Watkins is stronger with a bigger frame. I do question whether Lawson can develop her offense though, i guess we will see!

Reaction Score
Given the amount of quality guards and the lack of post depth, I don’t see how he won’t have to play 4 guards this season as well.
I agree with @huskeynut on this one. You're right that the 4 guard lineup is sure to appear from time to time. but I doubt very much it will be the main one. And when he runs 4 guards, I'd be surprised if Sarah isn't the one big often enough.

In other words, Sarah will have plenty of opportunities to get minutes and garner headlines.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Strong is likely better than all of those players. Patterson hasn't played in a year and a half, El Alfy is coming off an achilles tear and is a wild card, and Strong looks like a much better player than Brady to be honest. Aubrey Griffin probably isn't healthy until mid year either

Reaction Score
Disagree.

In 2023-24:
  • Geno experimented with his starting lineups, with Ice, Caroline, Aubrey and Azzi in the starting lineups until he settled on the 4-guard lineup on the 8th game with Ball State;
  • By then, 4 of the walking wounded were unavailable, 2 players (Amari and Ines) were deemed not ready, leaving 8 available players where Geno deemed Ice as more strategically valuable as Aaliyah’s injury / foul-trouble backup and Aubrey, who would become unavailable herself in a month, as more valuable as 6th man;
  • Paige as All-American power forward was noticeably very tired and beaten-up in the Iowa Final Four game UConn lost by 2 points on a controversial call.
Contrast to 2024-25:
  • Geno has raved about both Jana and Sarah;
  • Post-season Ice worked hard in the preseason, and is possibly poised for a noticeable sophomore leap;
  • While the pickup of Kaitlyn augurs for the strategic availability of the 3-point guard/ 4-guard lineup, it might make sense to use 6’2 Morgan as the point-forward with a line-up of Kaitlyn/KK, Azzi/Ash/Allie, Paige, Morgan, Sarah/Jana/Ice.
  • Geno has 10 available really talented and rigorously practice-tested players in the 2024-25 first mini-season (before the return of the walking wounded) which coincides with the tough-of-conference schedule — he has more players to consider for his starting line-up experiments, including 4 players 6-2 or above.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didn't say Geno wouldn't play four guards this season. I said he had no other option last season. Big difference.

My point is he has options. Jana and Sarah on the front line is one of those options along with Ice.

Lack of depth is a matter of opinion. I know all the reasons for the "lack of post depth."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Oh, I think Strong will have far more playing time and impact than that. Keep in mind that Geno has said she basically can play all five positions. It wouldn't surprise me to see her playing 20-25 minutes a minutes a game especially by the end of the season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Aint this the General board, or did i come to wrong section again? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have three main concerns about the incoming Duke posts. Roberson's lack of strength, Fournier's lack of height for the PF position , and the possibility (due to some arcane Duke rule) that incoming international players can't participate in summer workouts with their team.

Reaction Score
Aint this the General board, or did i come to wrong section again? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have three main concerns about the incoming Duke posts. Roberson's lack of strength, Fournier's lack of height for the PF position , and the possibility (due to some arcane Duke rule) that incoming international players can't participate in summer workouts with their team.

First I've heard of this. When is she allowed to participate? Don't recall hearing this when Koabel joined the team in 2022.

Reaction Score
Fournier's lack of height for the PF position
?????
She’s plenty big at 6’2”. She’s also wiry strong and moves her feet well. Her weakness is midrange shooting. She’ll muscle up with any pf in D1.

But I assume this was your point, to trick someone outside the research triangle into singing her praises.

The only question is whether she’ll make Roberson better. Or will they cancel out?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First I've heard of this. When is she allowed to participate? Don't recall hearing this when Koabel joined the team in 2022.

Maybe late summer? Closer to when students arrive to campus??? @Ladeeeeda @CamrnCrz1974

?????
She’s plenty big at 6’2”. She’s also wiry strong and moves her feet well. Her weakness is midrange shooting. She’ll muscle up with any pf in D1.

But I assume this was your point, to trick someone outside the research triangle into singing her praises.

The only question is whether she’ll make Roberson better. Or will they cancel out?

No, just that I prefer pfs to be 6'3 to 6'4. We have another freshman (Cotton) who is 6'2 as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom