OT: - Will the Ivy League can football? | The Boneyard

OT: Will the Ivy League can football?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I realize the Yale Bowl is a pretty big deal, but, this year the conference got rid of tackling in practice:
No Tackling In Practice? Not a Problem in Ivy League Football | VICE Sports
The Ivy League tends to be very liberal and is located around here, where college football isn't seen as a big deal. As it is, the 8 schools only play 10 games a year in the FCS and are not eligible for the FCS playoffs, via their own decision. With the concerns of CTE on the horizon and a culture of pro football over college football, could you see the Ivy League canning football in the next decade?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think they will, and when they do, it will put pressure on universities that deem themselves peers to the Ivies to do the same.

Reaction Score
I think it's very possible. They are a different breed, there's no emphasis on sports. And they certainly don't need the money!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You guys don't have a great take on the Ivies, to say there's no emphasis on sports is absurd. It's just a different kind of emphasis, and a different set of sports. They'll be playing Yale/Harvard 100 years from now. It might not look like football as we know it... but 100 years ago football was a very different game as well. I could see them instituting Rugby like rules (no tackles above the waist) or even go to a game more like "Sprint" football long before they drop it. I think you're going to see a widening of the gulf between FCS and FBS... where schools will look more like the Ivies or the Patriot league... but no... the Ivies won't drop football. I mean D3 schools like Wesleyan still play football... if CTE were really a huge problem for that level you'd see them drop it first.

Reaction Score
You would need stories of old ivy pkayers getting CTE.

FB is indeed important to the alumni, and their checkbooks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom