Will the incremental improvement continue against Cincy? | The Boneyard

Will the incremental improvement continue against Cincy?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I think the vast majority on the BY took away some positive signs from the loss to Syracuse, particularly on the defensive side.

This line also gave me some additional hope:

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller

By my (very unofficial) count, #UConn missed 7 tackles in 1st quarter but 4 the rest of the way. Randy Edsall said Huskies made adjustment on how they lined up after the 3rd series and that helped cut down on the missed tackles

I think the big question a lot of people have is whether any of this will translate to the game next week against Cincy. I watched most of both the UCLA game and the Ohio U games and I think they're significantly less impressive than UCF, Boise or the fruit. They're 4-0 and I have no expectation for a win but if we are competitive and keep the home crowd into things through 3 quarters (i.e. be down less than two scores), I'd be pretty happy.

So next week I'll be looking for a few things:
- Limit turnovers - our offense has moved the ball but we've had 3, 1, 3 and 3 turnovers in our past four games and rank 112 in the country on giveaways (120 on net turnover margin)
- Get some penetration on pass plays / slower developing runs - will be tough if Thomas is out but we had at least a few of these against Syracuse with Beavers getting one sack and Fortt and K Jones getting TFLs
- Gap integrity, especially on runs up the middle - this has been the most frustrating thing for me - all the RBs going untouched up the middle cannot continue
- Punt coverage / directional punting - if Magliozzi is going to boom them to anyone with ability, he needs to angle to give our coverage team a chance or our gunners need to get faster
- Continued improvement in the running game - I thought Mensah showed some real heart against Syracuse and had some quality runs. If we can put together a decent (i.e. 4.0+ YPC run game), that would help a ton in terms of keeping the ball out of their hands and getting first downs
- Pass protection - I don't know how good Cincy's front four (or three) are (they average 2 sacks / game) but we can't let DE's blow by like what happened to Peart so many times on Saturday. If you give Pindell a bit of time, he can do very well with either his arm or his legs

It's a huge wish list but if we are able to get at least a few of these things against Cincinnati, I'll feel a lot better about the future of the team and their chances in the back half of the schedule. As it is, if we experience another blowout loss, it will be very difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Reaction Score
I don't expect every single week to be incremental improvement. What we want is general overall improvement from beginning of season to end.

That being said, I think we have a decent shot at Cincy this weekend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
but just keep looking less pathetic on D
This is such a sad, minimalist goal, all the sadder that it is spot on what we need to do.

Reaction Score
OK ... I think we can have incremental improvement and the Temple, Tulsa, ECU, UMASS games are winnable - if we do the 8 things listed about. They are young and getting better.

Reaction Score
All we can be hoping for the next few weeks is to show more marginal improvement. If you get a win, great, but just keep looking less pathetic on D and cut down on the mistakes on O.
Was at the game and to me, it's how they attempt to stop the big plays... e.g. runs getting into the 2nd level, punt and kick-off returns that are a shoestring tackle from breaking it. Offense needs to keep Pindell from running for his life...

Reaction Score
What is going on with Peart? I was at the Boise game and watched him create 4 illegal procedure penalties in a row in addition to the 2 at Syracuse. Also, he is frequently getting beat around the edges on pass protection. I thought he was supposed to be a player of the future for us. Right now he is struggling. Any thoughts?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is going on with Peart? I was at the Boise game and watched him create 4 illegal procedure penalties in a row in addition to the 2 at Syracuse. Also, he is frequently getting beat around the edges on pass protection. I thought he was supposed to be a player of the future for us. Right now he is struggling. Any thoughts?
Maybe switching sides of the ball in the offseason wasn't so smart. Van Demark and Peart are both struggling.

Reaction Score
Maybe switching sides of the ball in the offseason wasn't so smart. Van Demark and Peart are both struggling.
Yep, I agree. People blast Peart, and rightly so for his false starts, but the other tackle has struggled quite a bit in his own right. Saw him get pancaked by DE this weekend he had a good 30lbs on. Its rare to see an OT put on his back like that from a basic bull rush. The guy who has impressed me the most on the line is Leone.

Reaction Score
can someone.............anyone explain how you can put a positive spin on a 30 point loss? Sorry, just cannot rationalize getting blown out 51-21, and saying there was improvement. It's not a matter of the glass being half full, in UC's case, the glass is broken. Sorry, but putting a happy face on a 30 point drubbing, is akin to saying a person is losing weight, when it's because Cancer is eating away at him. Sorry for the crude reference, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
can someone...anyone explain how you can put a positive spin on a 30 point loss? Sorry, just cannot rationalize getting blown out 51-21, and saying there was improvement. It's not a matter of the glass being half full, in UC's case, the glass is broken. Sorry, but putting a happy face on a 30 point drubbing, is akin to saying a person is losing weight, when it's because Cancer is eating away at him. Sorry for the crude reference, but it is what it is.
Using your weight loss reference, it is like a person who is 450 lbs and they lose 20 lbs. They are still fat as hell, but they are improving.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I do like our chances more against a slower tempo offense but I don't like how overmatched we are strength wise. Cinci always plays tough and physical and they have a defense oriented head coach that is consistent with that. I expect alot of missed and broken tackles by our defense on Saturday. Probably a few guys will be trucked right on over. Cincinnati will be able to move the ball of course, but it will be more of a methodical approach than the quick strike variety. Probably will score on a few quick strikes too though. Offensively, will be a challenge similar to facing Boise's D. I don't think they're quite as good as Boise's D but certainly better than UCF/Fruit D. Don't see any way we cover +17 without something drastic happening like turnovers suddenly bouncing in our favor.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
can someone...anyone explain how you can put a positive spin on a 30 point loss? Sorry, just cannot rationalize getting blown out 51-21, and saying there was improvement. It's not a matter of the glass being half full, in UC's case, the glass is broken. Sorry, but putting a happy face on a 30 point drubbing, is akin to saying a person is losing weight, when it's because Cancer is eating away at him. Sorry for the crude reference, but it is what it is.
You're spot on. This team is recovering from the cancer of the past two regimes, and it's OK to say they are looking thinner. You can put a positive spin on anything, even a 30 point loss. If you only look for the negative, you'll always find it. You're gonna cut yourself on that glass of yours. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see any happy face from the OP. I think he even underlined the word "some" to make his point.

Reaction Score

I cannot speak for anyone else but I will give you my opinion. This with a happy face...:) And a smile...:D
Many fans, OK, several of us are just happy to see the the glass a quarter full at this point with all we have been through. The positive spin for the several of us is we actually kept the game in the the realm of respectability with a JV team playing a varsity squad.
Your crude reference is just what you said it is.....VERY sad... :( :confused: I have nothing but respect for our PD's and our FD's ...
You dropped the ball on this one.... It is what it is.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom