Will The Dunk have the best game and atmosphere in college basketball this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will The Dunk have the best game and atmosphere in college basketball this year?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but their fan base is like we were in the 90s.

Desperate.

Makes for rowdy home games and a great home court.

IMO we have sadly become entitled.
It’s not entitlement. It has to do a little bit with our poor play for years, but what it really has to do with is the school sucking any fun from the students and the fan base

I’m actually pumped to watch his game and when they play at nova for the last game

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is the right outcome all the way around for us.

Also, have to conclude Gillespie likes Swift…really turned it on around then.

Reaction Score
The crowd was really good, but off the top of my head it was not as good as Texas Tech hosting Texas or Arkansas hosting Auburn

Reaction Score
Went to the game last night. I hate to say this but the atmosphere in the Dunk blows away anything I've seen at Gampel or XL in a long long time. Everything from the music to the student section to the crowd engagement. That place was electric a half hour before tip. As loud a building as I've ever been in.

Reaction Score
It's sad how 'The Dunk' is lightyears ahead of Gampel & the XL Center. We should be embarassed.

Reaction Score
The anthem was electric. Seriously all of it was impressive minus the Taylor Swift singalong. Very strange.

I've been going to games at the dunk for a while now and I can't remember anything like that. Even in the Kris Dunn and Bentil days, there was nowhere near the student support there was last night. Really sucks they can't find a way to play the UConn/PC game. Complete joke.

PS - UConn really needs to retire the Jock Jams and get some energy into the crowd.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The anthem was electric. Seriously all of it was impressive minus the Taylor Swift singalong. Very strange.

I've been going to games at the dunk for a while now and I can't remember anything like that. Even in the Kris Dunn and Bentil days, there was nowhere near the student support there was last night. Really sucks they can't find a way to play the UConn/PC game. Complete joke.

PS - UConn really needs to retire the Jock Jams and get some energy into the crowd.
I don’t understand why we can’t fix the music. Seriously already, there is nothing worse than turning on a big game and we start with Jock Jams.

Reaction Score
Sorry even though all of my family is from Philly (GO TEMPLE!) I ain't rooting for Nova and definitely not over PC - this year or any year.

Are you going to ask me to root for Duke next? :D
I actually like Villanova before Uconn was good. They were my second team and won that exciting game against G-town. I will always room over them than Providence who I hate the fans.

Reaction Score
Sorry even though all of my family is from Philly (GO TEMPLE!) I ain't rooting for Nova and definitely not over PC - this year or any year.

Are you going to ask me to root for Duke next? :D
This is a man of unquestionable integrity.

Reaction Score
In regard to Jock Jams, it is considered a tradition. That's why they don't kill it off. I agree that it is time to move on to something new.

As far as the crowd goes, PC is starved for success and we are spoiled brats. Our team just isn't good enough to motivate our fans to that level. The busses to the game and a lax approach to controlling the kids is a big bonus at PC.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why we can’t fix the music. Seriously already, there is nothing worse than turning on a big game and we start with Jock Jams.
Jock Jams to start the game isn't the problem. But I have noticed the music that plays at the Xl center is terrible. All they play is big room edm, like levels, animals, etc. I'm pretty sure they played "Pepas" like 3 diff times at the Marquette game. These songs can be good at a certain time during the game, but after every time out it feels so forced and feels like it is blaring in your ears Can the stupid DJ read the room and after a 5 min scoring drought maybe not just start blaring Martin Gerrix? I went to the St John's game at MSG and the music during timeouts was soooo much more enjoyable. It was a noticeable difference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In regard to Jock Jams, it is considered a tradition. That's why they don't kill it off. I agree that it is time to move on to something new.

As far as the crowd goes, PC is starved for success and we are spoiled brats. Our team just isn't good enough to motivate our fans to that level. The busses to the game and a lax approach to controlling the kids is a big bonus at PC.
I get a kick out of the Jock Jams complaints. I pre-date that stuff and don't like those tunes except maybe Gary Glitter. I'm from the We Will Rock You or Na, Nan, Hey Hey goodbye era. Whatever newer music you all want to play is probably not anything that will pump me up, but might as well try something. It would be cool if UConn had some old classic tune it could claim like the Red Sox do with Sweet Caroline. That would give the old farts something while you played newer stuff.

The light touch on enforcement is something every college should have. I think we've done that wrong for over 35 years now since it went to 21. Should be 18 for anybody who isn't driving and is in a controlled environment (like a college campus or bus). Give kids on the bus a wristband that lets them drink at XL. Boom. Attendance solved. Would cut down on the excesses. UConn is of course on the opposite end of that spectrum now from what I'm told, like it's run by Dolores Umbridge.

People downvoting those who said they were rooting for PC, like me? That's a lot of effort for something that is meaningless to UConn. Is this a Villanova board now? Even @Zissou doesn't do that and I doubt @FriarJ downvoted anyone rooting for Nova.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom