Will South Carolina go 19-0 in the SEC? | The Boneyard

Will South Carolina go 19-0 in the SEC?

SC 19-0?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The best shot at knocking them out was Miss St. Don’t see anyone beating them rest of SEC play unless Carter and A&M go Crazy and SC has an off night

I don’t think Kentucky has the bodies to match SC even if they play their best game of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. SC has too much of what is needed to lose to a SEC opponent this season. If SC's outside shooting is off, pound the ball into Boston.

As long as Boston remains healthy, SC should join Oregon and Baylor in advancing to the Final Four along with a party crasher....Lots of quality teams hope to be that party crasher.

Reaction Score
They should though won’t be easy with a road game to UK, the home finale versus TAMU and then a likely rematch against MSU in the championship game.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
They’d have to have an off game to not achieve a perfect conference record. Same for Baylor.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC are competitive this year. The SEC and Big 12 not so much. The question remains is a competitive conference battle hardening its champion or wearing it out.

Reaction Score
The only possible chance I see that South Carolina could possibly stumble during conference play is in the finale versus Texas A&M. It is a long season for the three freshmen starters. That is their biggest issue. However I don’t predict it will happen and South Carolina will go undefeated in the conference.

Reaction Score
I hope so. We've already had a much better season than I expected - I felt we would be a contender for the SEC reg. season title regardless with the depth of talent, but 24-1, 11-0 at this stage is a pleasant surprise. The game versus Kentucky in Lexington scares me, especially now that they beat Mississippi State there they will have confidence the rest of the way.

Going undefeated in SEC play is a good inspiration, and owning the reg. season title out-right is sweet too, and that is looking at worst we need to finish 15-1 in order for that to happen. It also helps with the SECT seeding to get those byes into the semifinals.

We've already had some fortunate conference scheduling with most of the toughest SEC foes playing us at home - If we can hold onto the #1 Seed for the NCAAT, we'll most likely host the first 2 rounds of the tournament in Columbia, then host the Regional in Greenwood. Especially since this season the men's NCAAT won't be using Colonial Life Arena as a regional host, forcing us to play in Charlotte like last season, LOL. Being able to play 2/3rds of the NCAAT in your own backyard is pretty fortunate too, I would say.......

But we need to prepare better defensively for Mississippi State than we did in the reg. season game, if we meet them in the SECT championship game....we were very lucky to escape that game with a win....

Reaction Score
The Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC are competitive this year. The SEC and Big 12 not so much. The question remains is a competitive conference battle hardening its champion or wearing it out.

The SEC and Big 12 conferences have higher-rated RPIs then the ACC.......

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
While being undefeated in conference is good a loss somewhere along the way is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the weight of the streak becomes a burden and the team starts playing not to lose instead going out and balling every game.
If USCe wins out in conference play that is great but a loss may end up being a silver lining later on.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'd rather win out. We had our loss against Indiana earlier this season.

The game we're most likely to lose is at Kentucky. I think that's more likely than A&M in Columbia.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Kentucky is the most challenging game for them. If just because they were the only SEC team to beat them last year in the regular season apart from Mississippi State.

I do think SC is a worse match-up for Kentucky than MSU is though. Kentucky has no size, so Boston can probably score on them. Kentucky also can't match the 4 guards that SC puts on the floor. SC will outrun them, or at least their versatility will eventually show their numbers. Kentucky guards have a limited skillset, though they are better built to stop MSU who likes to create from the paint - easy to turn the ball over like that when Kentucky had players that were battling in the paint the whole game. As good as SC's guards are on offense - I never thought of them as players who would really challenge you in the paint - that's why MSU had no problem scoring against them with around 55 points scored in the paint.

But still, with all that said I think SC's perimeter game and Boston are two inherent superior aspects Kentucky will need a really lucky break to overcome.

Still... I'll root for SC until the final game if against MSU. SC keep winning is just gonna help us.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
The Aggies will compete but not defeat them.
USCe will end the conference season just like The Baylor Lady Bears.
With a goose egg in the right hand column.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Any reason why the SEC only plays 16 conference games?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any reason why the SEC only plays 16 conference games?

Well in football playing 9 games against SEC teams is just WAY too difficult, so probably same for bball, can't possibly expect them to have to play 18 games against each other. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well in football playing 9 games against SEC teams is just WAY too difficult, so probably same for bball, can't possibly expect them to have to play 18 games against each other. :rolleyes:

Well the ACC plays 8 conference games in football as well...... but they increased it to 20 games on the men's bball side...and 18 on the women's side. Time for the SEC to step up.

Reaction Score
Why not play a 26-game conference schedule??? So every SEC team gets a home-and-home format????
indifferent0012.gif

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Why not play a 26-game conference schedule??? So every SEC team gets a home-and-home format????
indifferent0012.gif

Yep, sounds good to me. Eliminate N/C games completely and only play teams in your own conference.,

That is of course tongue in cheek on my part.

I do think going to an 18 game schedule is doable and should be strongly considered. Although , then you are probably have to have one or two conference games before New Years which nobody really likes to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope. Because Rhyne Howard > Chennedy Carter

Howard went for 28 points on good percentages the first time and South Carolina won by 27.

Maybe the supporting cast has a better day at home, but I'm just not sure they have enough inside.

I think Texas A&M has more talent and size and stands a better chance of beating the averages on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Well the ACC plays 8 conference games in football as well...... but they increased it to 20 games on the men's bball side...and 18 on the women's side. Time for the SEC to step up.

The men have played 18 for a few years now.

You'd have to think the women playing fewer is probably a financial decision? Course it hasn't been so long since they were playing 14.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
MBB plays 18 games in the SEC. WBB only playing 16 is a holdover from when UT, UGA and LSU were all elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom