Will redshirting become extinct? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will redshirting become extinct?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not all 13 players. No team has a rotation where 13 guys are playing in competitive games. You are assuming because Diggins was highly recruited we must have assumed that we needed him to develop to help us one day. It’s much more likely that by the time the season started Hurley had decided he was nowhere near being ready to help us. The fact that he was “highly recruited” only means that, upon more evidence, Hurley thought the market overvalued him. Which the market seems to have confirmed by his lack of power conference teams beating down his door when his recruitment from the portal started.
Then he shouldn’t have gave him an offer man. You say Hurley thought the market overvalued him like he didn’t give him an offer and recruit him hard as hell in the first place.

It’s not even necessarily about us needed him from day 1 but we clearly were going to need him the next year. Every other PG in our history has played from day one. I don’t see why this situation was any different.

Reaction Score
True, but if you have a highly recruited player at a position of need, you should probably have a plan to develop him and integrate him.

Donell Beverly played more games than Diggins did this year. Was Beverly some player worth playing who “earned” it through practice? There’s a way to play your young guys I promise. We’ve seen it plenty of times before.
I don't remember ever being worried Beverley was going to blow the game by giving up an over 10 point lead that required the starters to re-enter the game.

Reaction Score
Then he shouldn’t have gave him an offer man. You say Hurley thought the market overvalued him like he didn’t give him an offer and recruit him hard as hell in the first place.

It’s not even necessarily about us needed him from day 1 but we clearly were going to need him the next year. Every other PG in our history has played from day one. I don’t see why this situation was any different.

You’re imagining a world that doesn’t exist. Not everyone you think will develop into a top college player a few years down the road does. That’s not a Hurley flaw. That’s reality. Jay Wright would have made the same mistake with Diggins. You know why — because you’re not evaluating players as they are at the time you evaluate them, you’re projecting how good they will be down the road. And in no career are predictions supposed to be always right.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You’re imagining a world that doesn’t exist. Not everyone you think will develop into a top college player a few years down the road does. That’s not a Hurley flaw. That’s reality. Jay Wright would have made the same mistake with Diggins. You know why — because you’re not evaluating players as they are at the time you evaluate them, you’re projecting how good they will be down the road. And in no career are predictions supposed to be always right.
We’ve never had this problem before. So I don’t know why you think this world hasn’t already existed.

Reaction Score
Never thought of this before, but they must have changed the APR computation. With the transfer portal, everyone would have lower scores because kids transferred.
They did. As long as the players transfer in good academic standing then there is no ding to the APR score. UConn has made sure that the players who transfer stay in school and finish their spring semesters in good academic standing before leaving. I'm sure all 4 transfers are still in school taking their classes so they can finish the semester well. It benefits the players also. No reason to waste the work they've put into the semester to date by not getting the credits for the classes they're currently taking.

Reaction Score
Before Floyd and Karaban, I can’t remember us ever redshirting a player (unless they had an off the court incident) so I’m not sure how much of an effect this has.

We should always try to find ways to get guys involved and ready when they’re here IMO.
He offered, but it didn’t happen. Andre paid his way.

Reaction Score
We’ve never had this problem before. So I don’t know why you think this world hasn’t already existed.

A UConn coach has never recruited a guy who doesn’t turn out to be as good as everybody thought he would? Wow, what a track record.

I also can’t believe a player has never transferred out before, especially since the rule has always been that players don’t have to sit out a year when they transfer.

Rhode Island and Penn State chose other transfer options over Diggins, so he’s probably not the guy you want to base your “play freshmen” argument on. Also, Karaban enrolled mid-year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A UConn coach has never recruited a guy who doesn’t turn out to be as good as everybody thought he would? Wow, what a track record.

I also can’t believe a player has never transferred out before, especially since the rule has always been that players don’t have to sit out a year when they transfer.

Rhode Island and Penn State chose other transfer options over Diggins, so he’s probably not the guy you want to base your “play freshmen” argument on. Also, Karaban enrolled mid-year.
No, I don’t think there’s ever been a time where we had a highly recruited player (not the Darius smith’s and trice of the world where everyone would’ve been surprised if they turned out good) not pan out. Look at our track record. Especially at a position of need (thinking of the Curtis Kelly example here where we had studs who played over him).

I have a hard time believing we couldn’t find a role for Diggins seeing as how we’ve made players like Craig Austrie, Beverly, and Terrence Samuel very useful their freshmen years in the past. I’m not buying that.

Really go back and try to find a freshman guard who played less than Diggins throughout our history. Any one that went on to contribute in any kind of way for us.

Reaction Score
Are you really going to ignore the fact he was hurt? Or that he was a mid year?
He was not hurt when he redshirted as he arrived on campus. Yes, he arrived mid-year but the point I was making was that he was another one of our recent “redshirts” that wasn’t mentioned. Whether he was mid year or not is irrelevant IMO.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that later in the semester Drummond reversed course and gave his scholarship to Bradley and paid his own way. This article confirms it. So @UCDaveD you are correct.

Andre Drummond is playing as a non-scholarship player at UConn this season, allowing Michael Bradley to keep his scholarship.

"[Bradley] worked hard to get that scholarship," Drummond told the New London Day, which was first to report the story on Tuesday night. "I'm not going to take something from somebody that's not mine."

UConn confirmed that Drummond relinquished his scholarship late in the fall semester.

Roughly halfway through the fall semester, UConn's compliance staff determined that it was within the rules for a recruited player to decline a scholarship and play as a walk-on. So the change was set in motion. Bradley was back on scholarship and Drummond officially became a walk-on.

"This was a complicated issue that took much of the semester to resolve," said UConn spokesman Kyle Muncy. "Once it was, Andre felt it was time to share."

Reaction Score
Good question. I'd love to get DH drunk and ask him if he'd handle Diggins and Floyd differently. Play Diggins more. Not redshirt Floyd.
Maybe he has some regrets with Floyd but I doubt he would've done anything differently with Diggins. There's a reason why Diggins ended up at UMass, he just wasn't cut out for Big East/P6 hoops.

Reaction Score
No, I don’t think there’s ever been a time where we had a highly recruited player (not the Darius smith’s and trice of the world where everyone would’ve been surprised if they turned out good) not pan out. Look at our track record. Especially at a position of need (thinking of the Curtis Kelly example here where we had studs who played over him).

I have a hard time believing we couldn’t find a role for Diggins seeing as how we’ve made players like Craig Austrie, Beverly, and Terrence Samuel very useful their freshmen years in the past. I’m not buying that.

Really go back and try to find a freshman guard who played less than Diggins throughout our history. Any one that went on to contribute in any kind of way for us.
Weird hill to die on my man. It's clear Hurley and the rest of the country overestimated Diggins abilities. What don't you get? He was not good enough to play in the Big East or anyP6 school which is why he ended up at UMass.

Reaction Score
yeah that kind of goes to the point. If someone has to redshirt they probably shouldn’t be here in the first place.

If you recruit them, you should have a plan for them to develop and play IMO. Diggins should’ve 100% got his feet wet this past year and got on court time with Cole to learn from him. But this topic has been well beaten by this point.
The dude couldn’t play at this level. Hence the departure and no pt prior. Yes the staff miscalculated. Happens a lot. And the portal now shows issues other than talent assessment being a reason for leaving. The NIL gig will be equal to if not greater than showcased playing time and march runs.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright passed on Diggins

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Not sure everyone who is putting their two cents in about Sool ever saw him play before he entered UConn or ever saw him practice while he was in Storrs.
To say the Jay Wright would have recognized he made a mistake if Sool opted for Nova is very interesting and comical.
Sool isn't at UConn cause DH needs to win in the tournament now and he feels the quickest way to get there is through the xfer portal. He's the coach so that's what it is. Sool wasn't going to be a 2 or 3 and gone - he was here for the duration. Coaches at certain levels either don't want to or don't have time to wait for some players to develop physically and/or mentally.
If this portal crap remains college coaches will never be player developers in the truest sense.
Sool will be fine, Floyd and Akok will be fine, they just got caught between a rock and a hard place here at UConn due to some very unconventional times. I hope this is not what college hoops will become as a norm.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Weird hill to die on my man. It's clear Hurley and the rest of the country overestimated Diggins abilities. What don't you get? He was not good enough to play in the Big East or anyP6 school which is why he ended up at UMass.
Would love to hear what you saw in Sool before he came to Storrs and how you felt when he signed the LO! for UConn - so this young man fooled all those who recruited him and the rest of the country? Always easiest to say someone sucks. Do you know no team but UMass showed interest? Maybe Sool felt that it was/is the best fit for him.

Reaction Score
Not sure everyone who is putting their two cents in about Sool ever saw him play before he entered UConn or ever saw him practice while he was in Storrs.
To say the Jay Wright would have recognized he made a mistake if Sool opted for Nova is very interesting and comical.
Sool isn't at UConn cause DH needs to win in the tournament now and he feels the quickest way to get there is through the xfer portal. He's the coach so that's what it is. Sool wasn't going to be a 2 or 3 and gone - he was here for the duration. Coaches at certain levels either don't want to or don't have time to wait for some players to develop physically and/or mentally.
If this portal crap remains college coaches will never be player developers in the truest sense.
Sool will be fine, Floyd and Akok will be fine, they just got caught between a rock and a hard place here at UConn due to some very unconventional times. I hope this is not what college hoops will become as a norm.
So why didn't another P6 school pick up Sool? He's not at UConn (or any other good basketball school) because he wasn't good enough. Mistakes happen when recruiting and its clear many people misevaluated his talent

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I don’t think anything is clear until he actually plays legit minutes. Jeremy Lamb was pretty bad his first stretch as a freshman too.

But no coach is going to take a chance on a guy who didn’t play at all. Not necessarily because he can’t, but why do that when there’s other guys in the portal who did play.

Yes it clear that that’s how DH operates. By playing whoever is best at that time and not really looking to develop. Just win now. Which can hurt you in the long run. I don’t think we’ll have any issues with it next year because we have a pretty good roster, but it’ll be something to look out for.

Reaction Score
Maybe he has some regrets with Floyd but I doubt he would've done anything differently with Diggins. There's a reason why Diggins ended up at UMass, he just wasn't cut out for Big East/P6 hoops.
Tequila will get to the truth

Reaction Score
There isn't another poster here who is more consistently wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom