Will redshirting become extinct? | The Boneyard

Will redshirting become extinct?

Reaction Score
with NIL and immediate transferring… I can’t see redshirting being a thing any more. After what happened with Floyd (not knowing all the details) who would feel good about redshirting Castle or anyone else for that matter.

Sure it can happen (Karaban) but players wanna play and with the talent we’re targeting I feel like it’s a lost cause to go down that road again.

Thoughts ?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Before Floyd and Karaban, I can’t remember us ever redshirting a player (unless they had an off the court incident) so I’m not sure how much of an effect this has.

We should always try to find ways to get guys involved and ready when they’re here IMO.

Reaction Score
with NIL and immediate transferring… I can’t see redshirting being a thing any more. After what happened with Floyd (not knowing all the details) who would feel good about redshirting Castle or anyone else for that matter.

Sure it can happen (Karaban) but players wanna play and with the talent we’re targeting I feel like it’s a lost cause to go down that road again.

Thoughts ?
Good question. I'd love to get DH drunk and ask him if he'd handle Diggins and Floyd differently. Play Diggins more. Not redshirt Floyd.

Reaction Score
Before Floyd and Karaban, I can’t remember us ever redshirting a player (unless they had an off the court incident) so I’m not sure how much of an effect this has.

We should always try to find ways to get guys involved and ready when they’re here IMO.
We did it with Michael Bradley, though he never ended up playing for us. I think everyone else was either a medical/academic/eligibility issue redshirt.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We did it with Michael Bradley, though he never ended up playing for us. I think everyone else was either a medical/academic/eligibility issue redshirt.
yeah that kind of goes to the point. If someone has to redshirt they probably shouldn’t be here in the first place.

If you recruit them, you should have a plan for them to develop and play IMO. Diggins should’ve 100% got his feet wet this past year and got on court time with Cole to learn from him. But this topic has been well beaten by this point.

Reaction Score

Didn’t Akok redshirt?

Reaction Score
yeah that kind of goes to the point. If someone has to redshirt they probably shouldn’t be here in the first place.

If you recruit them, you should have a plan for them to develop and play IMO. Diggins should’ve 100% got his feet wet this past year and got on court time with Cole to learn from him. But this topic has been well beaten by this point.
Rosters are 13 scholarship players. You can’t have a plan to play all of them each year.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Bradley end up giving up his scholarship To Andre or something unusual?

Bradley didn’t have many offers if I’m remembering correctly - think he had a big game in Orlando and JC was there & offered. Tennessee Kid that didn’t have Tennseee offer and they weren’t near as hot as now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Thoughts ?
I don’t count Karaban and Akok. Nobody is going to burn a year of eligibility when they arrive in the spring semester. Those situations will still happen. Full season redshirting doesn’t make much sense for basketball. It still does for football.

There will still be freshmen who don’t play much. There’s no way around that. Most high school kids are not ready to contribute on a D1 team.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Bradley end up giving up his scholarship To Andre or something unusual?

Bradley didn’t have many offers if I’m remembering correctly - think he had a big game in Orlando and JC was there & offered. Tennessee Kid that didn’t have Tennseee offer and they weren’t near as hot as now.
He offered, but it didn’t happen. Andre paid his way.

Reaction Score
I don’t count Karaban and Akok. Nobody is going to burn a year of eligibility when they arrive in the spring semester.
Yeah I think there will still be guys that reclass mid year and enroll for the spring semester. I hope we get someone to do that this year eg Castle. But that still counts as a full red shirt year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah I think there will still be guys that reclass mid year and enroll for the spring semester. I hope we get someone to do that this year eg Castle but I believe they still count as a full year don’t they ?
If you give them a scholarship, they count against the limit. If you don’t play them they don’t lose eligibility. I can’t recall, Akok might have paid his own way that semester. It makes way more sense to come mid year than to fully reclass for most guys. Get improved S&C, practice with the team, get acclimated to college, should help them contribute more as freshmen.

Reaction Score
I can’t recall, Akok might have paid his own way that semester.
I didn't remember this but I posted it in another thread a couple weeks ago after looking it up. There wasn't a scholarship available for him that semester.

As a recruited player — Akok took official visits to UConn — he cannot play as a walk-on as he will be getting institutional financial aid. Andre Drummond, a recruited player, played as a walk-on for UConn in 2011-12, without institutional financial aid. UConn will have a scholarship available for Akok at the end of the academic year. Senior Kwintin Williams, though suspended from the team, is still on scholarship and is working to earn his degree in the spring.

Reaction Score
If you give them a scholarship, they count against the limit. If you don’t play them they don’t lose eligibility. I can’t recall, Akok might have paid his own way that semester. It makes way more sense to come mid year than to fully reclass for most guys. Get improved S&C, practice with the team, get acclimated to college, should help them contribute more as freshmen.
Yes absolutely I’m just saying assuming the guy is on scholarship like Karaban and Floyd were, then a mid year reclass / red shirt counts as one of the 13 and it also counts towards the play 4 in 5 years limit for a player. What akok did was very odd.

Reaction Score
Redshirting in CBB has been extinct for a long time. It was brought back by Covid. It will disappear again quite soon.

Reaction Score
Didn't Villanova have two 4 star players redshirt this year?
Brizzi who they took over Diggins redshirted, also had Eric Dixon on the roster who redshirted his freshman year as well. Lots of guys who played small minutes as freshman but didn't redshirt as well like Njoku, Patterson, Slater, Arcidiacano, Antoine

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Rosters are 13 scholarship players. You can’t have a plan to play all of them each year.
True, but if you have a highly recruited player at a position of need, you should probably have a plan to develop him and integrate him.

Donell Beverly played more games than Diggins did this year. Was Beverly some player worth playing who “earned” it through practice? There’s a way to play your young guys I promise. We’ve seen it plenty of times before.

Reaction Score
True, but if you have a highly recruited player at a position of need, you should probably have a plan to develop him and integrate him.

Donell Beverly played more games than Diggins did this year. Was Beverly some player worth playing who “earned” it through practice? There’s a way to play your young guys I promise. We’ve seen it plenty of times before.
Not all 13 players. No team has a rotation where 13 guys are playing in competitive games. You are assuming because Diggins was highly recruited we must have assumed that we needed him to develop to help us one day. It’s much more likely that by the time the season started Hurley had decided he was nowhere near being ready to help us. The fact that he was “highly recruited” only means that, upon more evidence, Hurley thought the market overvalued him. Which the market seems to have confirmed by his lack of power conference teams beating down his door when his recruitment from the portal started.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
8 guys tops are going to play, maybe 7. Jay Wright played 6 this year

JC was hurt by taking too many kids with NBA aspirations, like Jamal Trice and Darius Smith. They don't get time, they quit, UConn winds up with substandard APR's, they're called cheaters by the clueless wonders, and Emmett comes up with a backdoor ban.

Never thought of this before, but they must have changed the APR computation. With the transfer portal, everyone would have lower scores because kids transferred.

I used to think the bottom of the roster had to be filled with kids just happy to be along for the ride. Now maybe you need to recruit the best talent possible and then let the bench warmers transfer.

We're going to get two shots at most kids, with the second shot being more important. No joke

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom