Will Puma see action on Sat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Puma see action on Sat?

With word from Mora that Puma is healthy, will he see action on Sat?

• Yes

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 65.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I think Tyler is the real deal and the only reason he isn’t playing is they are thinking about the future - that’s go to be it. He looked awesome last year with not much of an offensive line. If this year we will win 3 games tops, why risk it Mora must be thinking. He tore his ACL and he is a dual threat QB next year we have improved recruits / more expeience. I think he starts to play if it we start losing games that we had a good shot win - otherwise they save him and he will be #2 next year,

When did he look awesome?

Reaction Score
I think we need to give Puma a chance before he decides to transfer due to lack of playing time.

We gave Zion a chance, but he is not ready. He looks very unsure of himself on the field. He might be fast, but so far he hasn't shown it on the field.

Puma looked way better last year when he was the QB. We should give Puma a chance. We need Puma out there to give us a chance.

Reaction Score
When you have a dominant team in hs with a great OL, great RB's and deep receiving corps the game looks a lot different. Tyler seemed to have a much quicker reaction time in the pocket put in a similar situation last year.. Right now there's just not anything specific to point to that says ZT is the guy. Hopefully in 2 weeks or a few plays late next week to get his feet wet again.

And for the zillionth time don't put Millen in to run the ball. Hand it off or let Rosa be the wildcat QB.

Reaction Score
Something has to give because we actually have a decent line and it is being wasted.

Zion can’t or isn’t ready to track what is happening downfield. I saw multiple instances of open guys that he didn’t throw to last night.

Millen’s arm might not be 100% but he actually will make a pass downfield. And even if he throws an INT or two who cares when we are punting so damn match.

It would literally be harder to do worse than we are doing than to improve.

I think Zion on the sideline might be good for him. Maybe it would help him find all of the open opportunities that he is missing and slow the game down for him.

Zion had the same deer in the headlights look against Central. Just hoping that he will have some sort of breakthrough once we get to FIU won’t be enough.

We have at least two winnable games left, I just want the guy under center that will give us the beer chance to win, and I don’t think anyone believes that is Zion Turner.

Reaction Score
He obviously looked good on the first run.

The one which ticked me off a bit and had me thinking about managing ZT's health was some time in the second qtr and UConn had 2nd and manageable. Turner went back to pass and then started running towards his left. NC St had two defenders near the first down line and rather than run towards them and get within a yard of the first down or actually get the first down, he ran straight left out of bounds setting up 3rd and 3 or 4. Which, as UConn fans, we know 3rd and 4 is basically setting g up one more olay before they punt.
He absolutely made a conscious decision to run it out of bounds and avoid any contact rather than keep running towards defenders and trying to get 2-3 more yards.
There was a second half play where ZT was rushed, scrambled, and came up short on the first down.
On that play, a receiver (Burns as I recall) had circled out for a pass near the middle and was covered but as ZT broke free from the rushers the receiver drifted left away from his defender who was moving to tackle ZT and was open for a short toss that would have gotten the first down.
ZT was a great QB in high school, and it's not likely he's lost his ability, but he had a great supporting cast in high school, time to make decisions, and doesn't have those assets here so we have to hope he can see more as he gains experience and makes the throw the next time it's there.

Reaction Score
Like many of you, I’ve seen all of our QB’s since Orlovsky. I don’t recall any of them who didn’t show us who they were—after 4 games. Other than Boyle who never got a chance to redeem himself after his poor debut, which QB improved or regressed significantly after 4 games? I believe Zion is exactly who he’s shown us he is. Time for a change to Puma.

Reaction Score
A lot of the commentary about Zion’s play confirms my thought that when Mora says we don’t throw down field because nobody is open, he really means Zion doesn’t see the situation right now. In the future maybe he does. maybe not. But he has played pretty much 5 full games now and seems no more aware of what is going on than he did in game 1.

Reaction Score
Other than Boyle who never got a chance to redeem himself after his poor debut, which QB improved or regressed significantly after 4 games? I believe Zion is exactly who he’s shown us he is. Time for a change to Puma.

I'd like to see Puma given a chance too, but to answer your question Orlovsky improved a lot after 4 games, as did Frazer. Cochran seemed to improve with every game in 2013. Zergiotis is someone who seemed to regress.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Something has to give because we actually have a decent line and it is being wasted.

Zion can’t or isn’t ready to track what is happening downfield. I saw multiple instances of open guys that he didn’t throw to last night.

Millen’s arm might not be 100% but he actually will make a pass downfield. And even if he throws an INT or two who cares when we are punting so damn match.

It would literally be harder to do worse than we are doing than to improve.

I think Zion on the sideline might be good for him. Maybe it would help him find all of the open opportunities that he is missing and slow the game down for him.

Zion had the same deer in the headlights look against Central. Just hoping that he will have some sort of breakthrough once we get to FIU won’t be enough.

We have at least two winnable games left, I just want the guy under center that will give us the beer chance to win, and I don’t think anyone believes that is Zion Turner.
So....Mora and Charlton aren't idiots. Why do they keep trotting out a quarterback that looks completely over matched?

There has to be a reason....are they sacrificing Turner during the hard part of the schedule because they don't want to risk injury (or destroying confidence) of QBs who could actually win games later in the season? Are the other QBs so banged up they can't play? Do they think this will speed up Turner's development? Do they keep thinking Turner will turn the corner and he doesn't? Are they protecting red shirts?

It doesn't make sense after what we have seen that Millen or Tyler haven't gotten more of a chance. Especially since he has declared he wants to "win now" and he isn't about starting over.

I wish Mora was more transparent on what is going on. He owes the truth to a fan base that is beyond frustrated.

Reaction Score
So....Mora and Charlton aren't idiots. Why do they keep trotting out a quarterback that looks completely over matched?

There has to be a reason....are they sacrificing Turner during the hard part of the schedule because they don't want to risk injury (or destroying confidence) of QBs who could actually win games later in the season? Are the other QBs so banged up they can't play? Do they think this will speed up Turner's development? Do they keep thinking Turner will turn the corner and he doesn't? Are they protecting red shirts?

It doesn't make sense after what we have seen that Millen or Tyler haven't gotten more of a chance. Especially since he has declared he wants to "win now" and he isn't about starting over.

I wish Mora was more transparent on what is going on. He owes the truth to a fan base that is beyond frustrated.

This isn’t a secret. Millen is coming back from a shoulder injury. He improves every week.

Reaction Score
Zion has not looked like an actual dual threat a single time he has taken off and ran, almost every time I felt a quicker QB would have been able to gain ore yardage. I would love to see us target a TE once and awhile, that is clearly an area we can use an increase in production from. You have to imagine Puma is not fully ready to go or they are protecting him until the schedule lightens up.
He’s not a great, instinctive runner from what we’ve seen this far. I don’t hold out a lot of hope for this guy. He’s not showing any type of playmaking capability either on the ground or in the air.

Reaction Score
I think we need to give Puma a chance before he decides to transfer due to lack of playing time.

We gave Zion a chance, but he is not ready. He looks very unsure of himself on the field. He might be fast, but so far he hasn't shown it on the field.

Puma looked way better last year when he was the QB. We should give Puma a chance. We need Puma out there to give us a chance.
Puma had a lot more weapons.

Reaction Score
I have to admit I'm surprised about some shots taken out puma during this thread. He's a mobile quarterback and a good arm And an exciting player to watch. He had less protection then turner does this season.
Turner may turn out to be the quarterback of our dreams but he just too conservative and apprehensive about throwing the ball and making this reads.
And frankly Cale looked pretty good in there and we scored a touchdown

I've said it beforw but it looks like Zion was handed the keys and I stand by that statement. I think it should be more a quarterback by committee and see who earns the spot

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
This isn’t a secret. Millen is coming back from a shoulder injury. He improves every week.

If Millen is still recovering from shoulder surgery...why is it ok for him to run...and throw for a handful of plays? Doesn't that sound like odd rehab for a quarterback after shoulder surgery? Seems like he is risking further injury when he gets tackled.

Why do you think Tyler hasn't played? If he is healthy...like Mora stated...don't you think he should get some reps? Isn't it worth seeing what he can do better than passing for 20 yards a game week after week?

Reaction Score
I have to admit I'm surprised about some shots taken out puma during this thread. He's a mobile quarterback and a good arm And an exciting player to watch. He had less protection then turner does this season.
Turner may turn out to be the quarterback of our dreams but he just too conservative and apprehensive about throwing the ball and making this reads.
And frankly Cale looked pretty good in there and we scored a touchdown

I've said it beforw but it looks like Zion was handed the keys and I stand by that statement. I think it should be more a quarterback by committee and see who earns the spot

12 carries for 14 yds. Really mobile QB there.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Maybe it is based on practice. Casey was finally given a shot and did well. Hindsight he should have played before Boyle.
Being better in practice can get you the qb1 job....but it doesn't mean you keep it when you don't deliver. Unless.....you truly don't have any other options...

Reaction Score
He’s not a great, instinctive runner from what we’ve seen this far. I don’t hold out a lot of hope for this guy. He’s not showing any type of playmaking capability either on the ground or in the air.
This is where I am too. Usually with good quarterbacks you see signs even when they are young. They might do dumb stuff, make horrible plays, but they also make some very good plays from time to time. I haven’t seen anything from ion that makes me say WOW, This kid has it. It’s more like I say, I wonder what Zergiotis would do with better coaching…

Reaction Score
Give ZT Fresno State start and if game is getting out of hand due to offense not performing then some time in 2nd half (or even some time in 2nd quarter) go with Millen. Happy talk time with ZT is over, got to make plays.
Unless Millen looks like Johnny Unitas against Fresno State start ZT against FIU which should be a team ZT can perform against, if ZT fails then he's had his chance and Millen is the guy.
Really worry about Puma and being fully recovered. Being a scrambling, smaller kid is not the player to put back in earlier than 110% recovered.

Reaction Score
Really worry about Puma and being fully recovered. Being a scrambling, smaller kid is not the player to put back in earlier than 110% recovered.
Agreed. I heard/read Phommachanh was now “available” within a depleted QB room, not sure I heard he was “healthy”. Semantics? maybe but he’s less than a year back from an ACL/LCL/meniscus repair. He needs to be physically sound and 100% confident in his knee’s ability upstairs. Can’t be tentative.

Reaction Score
Yes Turner hasn't been great, but I think a lot of his issues are correctable and being down 2 running backs and top 3 receivers doesn't exactly do anything to help his numbers. Playing against 2 top 12 teams in a row doesn't exactly help either. Yeah it sucks, but Mora has this team going in the right direction. I'm still sipping the koolaid.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is based on practice. Casey was finally given a shot and did well. Hindsight he should have played before Boyle.
Casey would have been a top 3 all time QB for UConn if he'd been able to play (he does music now too - so I'm glad for him he stepped away when he did). I saw the absolute pounding he took senior year in the HS state playoffs against Daniel Hand (I've never seen a HS team get hit so hard all day long, including QB) and I wonder how much his style even in HS led to the concussions. Really wish he'd have had a full career.

Reaction Score
Casey would have been a top 3 all time QB for UConn if he'd been able to play (he does music now too - so I'm glad for him he stepped away when he did). I saw the absolute pounding he took senior year in the HS state playoffs against Daniel Hand (I've never seen a HS team get hit so hard all day long, including QB) and I wonder how much his style even in HS led to the concussions. Really wish he'd have had a full career.
Casey was awesome. He threw perfect passes with the softest touch. What a shame it is he didn’t get to show everyone what he could do. On top of that, his dad’s reputation preceded him, he turned out to be such a terrific person. Say what you want about Jack Cochran, but he raised an outstanding kid. It definitely makes me wonder if Jack was just misunderstood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom