Will Paige out play "pick a name" ... Yes, she already has | The Boneyard

Will Paige out play "pick a name" ... Yes, she already has

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Whether she starts the first game or not, when she hits the floor she will earn a starting role in short order. FIBA 19 2019 Champions USA team roster: Fran Belibi, Aliyh Boston, Cameron Brink, Paige Buecker, Caitlin Clark, Queen Egbo, Nazahrah Hillman-Baker, Rhyne Howard, Ashley Joens, Diamond Miller, Celeste Taylor, and Hailey Van Lithe. Who on this team was the FIBA 19 2019 MVP? PAIGE BUECKERS

Reaction Score
This poor kid. In her first game, if she is just "pretty good". The BY will light up. Please remember we are talking about a high school kid, OK an accomplished high school kid. Shouldn't we give her a break? I go back to DT (arguably the best WBB ever) didn't start until others got injured, although she got her share of PT.

OT: maybe it's covid, but are posts getting a little bit snarky (other threads) the deeper into this we get? We really need this season to start... Deep breath, Breathe, breathe. We have a lot of answers. Oh, BTW, I'm kind of a snarky guy...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This poor kid. In her first game, if she is just "pretty good". The BY will light up. Please remember we are talking about a high school kid, OK an accomplished high school kid. Shouldn't we give her a break? I go back to DT (arguably the best WBB ever) didn't start until others got injured, although she got her share of PT.
This. There’s no doubt in my mind that Paige is going to be a special player for us but that doesn’t necessarily mean she will be from the first moment.

Reaction Score
I agree Paige will be great, but expecting her to be better right off the bat or comparing her to the names listed above could be silly.

I'd say that based on that U19 experience that any comparison of the above to her is what is silly. I understand the lack of college experience but some astute HS/AAU writers suggested over 2 years ago that she was college-ready as a HS sophomore, except for her body.

The coaches (and media) are trying to "take the pressure off" but if you go back a year or 2 Geno was quoted as saying that (as a soph) "she is ahead of where Taurasi was at the same point", or "she's the best I've ever seen with the ball in her hands", or the winner, Geno: "next year, when we win the championship, I'll be telling you we wouldn't have without her"

If Geno can wax poetic then so can we. :D

Reaction Score

maybe it's covid, but are posts getting a little bit snarky (other threads) the deeper into this we get? We really need this season to start... Deep breath, Breathe, breathe. We have a lot of answers. Oh, BTW, I'm kind of a snarky guy...
You can't compare her to Taurasi. Her freshman year the 2001 team just came off a NC and had 8 returning players including the starting 5. Also with 2 AAs and the Nancy Lieberman award winner for best PG in the country. Arguably Uconns best and deepest team of All-time. That's why Taurasi didn't start! This team has a lot to prove individually and team abilities. It's going to be fun to watch!

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith or Caitlin Clark will be the freshman of the year.

I thought that it might be Van Lith. Points/game is a huge vote-getter and she will get a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
I hope Boneyarders do not repeat the mistake the made with Williams. Lets not put to high an expectation on her. Let her become what she will become. These players will develop much better without the added pressure of expectation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree Paige will be great, but expecting her to be better right off the bat or comparing her to the names listed above could be silly.
Not sure why it would be silly to compare her to the names listed. That's who she played with. If you can't compare her to her peers (who she out-performed), then who can you compare her to???

Reaction Score
Those two (Van Lith & Clark) have leapt out to an early lead and very likely may beat Paige out for freshman of the year. They are (in addition to being very talented) both on teams where they are likely to get more shots, more playing time, and at least in Van Lith’s case, not playing point guard for their respective teams. Points per game is obviously the sexiest stat for players and it is difficult to see Paige averaging 15+ points per game on a team with as much talent as we have. The main question we all should consider is whether anyone on this board would trade Paige for either of those players? I certainly would not and even with the disadvantages mentioned above I would not be surprised if she proves to be the best freshman anyway. After all, she clearly outplayed both of those players in high school and scoring is only one stat. I’m sure Paige is chomping at the bit to get started!

Reaction Score
I hope Boneyarders do not repeat the mistake the made with Williams. Lets not put to high an expectation on her. Let her become what she will become. These players will develop much better without the added pressure of expectation.

Bueckers is on another level from Williams as a freshman. And that isn't a slur on Williams.

Reaction Score
It is not unreasonable for Hailey Van Lith to out play (have a better season) than Bueckers. She is off to a good start. However, I think comparing her to Bueckers is not fair as Bueckers will have the ball in her hands a lot more. She will be responsible for running the offense. Being the point is harder than being the two guard. I am excited to see how things play out. My money is on our girl!!!!!

Reaction Score
This is a stellar Freshman class of young Point Guard/Combo Guards. Paige might not get the numbers/stats that some of the others get this year as she will have more talent and less required of her and will likely play fewer minutes as a result. She will be judged largely by the team's success. She will be intertwined with Van Lith, Clark, Diamond Johnson, Pao Pao, Deja Kelly, Sarah Andrews. It's rare to have 7 of the top 12 players/recruits be point, ball dominant guards. I feel Paige, Van Lith, Clark and Pao Pao are the cream of this abundant crop. This will be a fun discussion, rivalry and great for the sport over the next 4 years.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
You can put Coach Jeff and Hailey down for 2 Nat Champs.
Maybe if Hailey Van Lith transfers, only chance is this season and odds say no way, not gonna happen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You can put Coach Jeff and Hailey down for 2 Nat Champs.

well, in Bob Joyce's podcast, Geno said he most impressed with Louisville and joked that maybe it was good the Louisville game was cancelled. But I do not see 2 Nats.

Reaction Score
Those two (Van Lith & Clark) have leapt out to an early lead and very likely may beat Paige out for freshman of the year. They are (in addition to being very talented) both on teams where they are likely to get more shots, more playing time, and at least in Van Lith’s case, not playing point guard for their respective teams. Points per game is obviously the sexiest stat for players and it is difficult to see Paige averaging 15+ points per game on a team with as much talent as we have. The main question we all should consider is whether anyone on this board would trade Paige for either of those players? I certainly would not and even with the disadvantages mentioned above I would not be surprised if she proves to be the best freshman anyway. After all, she clearly outplayed both of those players in high school and scoring is only one stat. I’m sure Paige is chomping at the bit to get started!

Is it really an "early lead" two weeks into the season, with Paige not playing yet? Can we at least wait until January?

Reaction Score
Paige will be Paige which means she will still out shine "the others" even if they have a headstart. She's been out shining them since basically birth and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom