Will Paige or Any Others Play a 5th Year? | The Boneyard

Will Paige or Any Others Play a 5th Year?

Do you think that Paige will return to UConn to play a 5th year?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know/ no opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

sun

Reaction Score
It's my understanding that any player that was on the UConn 2020 - 2021 roster has a 5th year of NCAA eligibility.
That doesn't mean that UConn would be forced to accept them back since roster limits apply after this current year, and it could impact recruiting.
Do folks think that Paige or another player might return and be accepted by UConn for a 5th year?
I think that Paige may opt for a 5th year depending on several factors.
Among those considerations may be NIL income, success at obtaining one or more NC's, the makeup of the roster, her injuries, setting UConn records etc....
Up until now, players are expected to want to be drafted by the WNBA ASAP after graduation.
But the WNBA rookie pay scale may not be high enough to lure Paige away from UConn if she feels that she has unfinished business left to accomplish.
It's entirely possible that Paige could make "more NIL money" by staying on at UConn than by playing for the WNBA as a rookie.
And it would also allow her to play an extra year with Azzi.

Here's a look at the UConn recruitment chart: --->>> UConn Women's Basketball Recruiting - WBB Blog
Here's a look at the 2020 - 2021 UConn roster of players eligible for a 5th year.: --->>> 2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say Dorka will stay, but she'll probably be the only one assuming there are no complications with any injuries. The real money is made outside of the USA anyway for top players. See Sue's story about how she and DT were treated in Russia.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think that Paige may opt for a 5th year depending on several factors.

But the WNBA rookie pay scale may not be high enough to lure Paige away from UConn if she feels that she has unfinished business left to accomplish.
It's entirely possible that Paige could make "more" money by staying on at UConn than by playing for the WNBA as a rookie.
It would allow her to play an extra year with Azzi.

Here's a look at the UConn recruitment chart: --->>> UConn Women's Basketball Recruiting - WBB Blog
Here's a look at the 2020 - 2021 UConn roster of players eligible for a 5th year.: --->>> 2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics
I don't think she would stay for the following. She's making $$$ with NIL, which puts her ahead of any current WNBA player (aside from superstars), from an income perspective. This also gives her leeway (assuming wise investments) to decide whether to play overseas in the offseason.

And this is where I'm thinking some thoughts and they might not be written perfectly so bear with me. Male players want to get thru the rookie contract faster, get a long term deal, so the quicker the clock starts, the better. WNBA players also have this timeline, however they also have other things to consider, such as starting a family, although Stewie's path certainly is showing a way to do this without waiting for career to end first.

sun

Reaction Score
I would say Dorka will stay, but she'll probably be the only one assuming there are no complications with any injuries. The real money is made outside of the USA anyway for top players. See Sue's story about how she and DT were treated in Russia.
What makes Dorka's decision complex is whether UConn is willing to accept her back, or if they might want to accept another transfer player instead.
It's possible that UConn could want Dorka back since that may need her as a big.
But UConn may also need another big to transfer in too.
I'll bet that Geno doesn't want to waste the opportunity to win multiple NC's while Paige is available due to not having a key position player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think she would stay for the following. She's making $$$ with NIL, which puts her ahead of any current WNBA player (aside from superstars), from an income perspective. This also gives her leeway (assuming wise investments) to decide whether to play overseas in the offseason.

And this is where I'm thinking some thoughts and they might not be written perfectly so bear with me. Male players want to get thru the rookie contract faster, get a long term deal, so the quicker the clock starts, the better. WNBA players also have this timeline, however they also have other things to consider, such as starting a family, although Stewie's path certainly is showing a way to do this without waiting for career to end first.
I hope she feels financially secure enough not to compete overseas.

sun

Reaction Score
Paige will move on as soon as she is eligible to do so.
Right now Paige is a big fish in a small pond.
Once she goes to the WNBA, she will become a small fish in a big pond.
Some of the endorsement opportunities may dwindle in the future depending on her success in college.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
At a recent press conference, Paige said her goal is to win THREE NCs. That indicates that she expects to move on.

Reaction Score
I instinctually said no, because that was the common sense thing to do even a few years ago, to leave as soon as you can, especially if you've got your degree. It was shocking when Sabrina stayed that 4th year at Oregon.

But.... as others have said, with the NIL, she might actually be more marketable in college. Women's college basketball has a bigger audience than WNBA, I think.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Right now Paige is a big fish in a small pond.
Once she goes to the WNBA, she will become a small fish in a big pond.
Some of the endorsement opportunities may dwindle in the future depending on her success in college.
Or she might be a whale in a small pond.

Reaction Score
Let's say she can go after three (I don't know). If she has won a championship, I can see her going early. IF she has not won a championship, I could see her staying the full 4 years to win one since she won't have as much financial incentive as most players.

I don't see her staying for 5 years even if she can afford to do so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At a recent press conference, Paige said her goal is to win THREE NCs. That indicates that she expects to move on.
That was before the injury though. It could definitely change her timeline.

Reaction Score
I instinctually said no, because that was the common sense thing to do even a few years ago, to leave as soon as you can, especially if you've got your degree. It was shocking when Sabrina stayed that 4th year at Oregon.

But.... as others have said, with the NIL, she might actually be more marketable in college. Women's college basketball has a bigger audience than WNBA, I think.
Paige has signed with a big time agent. She's only going to increase her marketability. As a competitor I don't see her staying longer than she has to. She will want to compete at the highest level. As long as she's in school she has to attend class. She's a superstar. I just don't see her staying.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Last time I looked WCBB is bigger than the WNBA so I don't get the big fish in a small pond thing. Not looking outside our country, just a guess that very few of us on the BY have seen a womans game played outside the U.S.A. except the Olympics. Paige will play where she wants when she wants money aside. By the time her eligibility is over she may very well be the richest Womans player on any level. Paige follows the beat of her own drum.

sun

Reaction Score
Last time I looked WCBB is bigger than the WNBA so I don't get the big fish in a small pond thing.
Let me explain it.
Paige is the first and basically only womens college BB player that has signed the largest big money licensing agreements.
She's the big fish and the number of NIL women competing against her is very small.
She's hot right now and will remain hot while she stays in college at UConn.
Once she moves to the WNBA she could disappear from the national spotlight that the NCAA tourney provides.

If her market is under 21, then who will she sell BB shoes to when she goes to the WNBA?
The under 21 hip hop crowd that she appeals to the most doesn't watch the WNBA.
But they're watching now while she's in college.

If she's selling enough Paige Buckets BB shoes & Gatorade while she's at UConn then I think that she will stay.
She may not be as big of a rock star in the WNBA.
I can't say for sure, but youth appeal drives many marketing decisions.
The amount of talent in the WNBA makes it much tougher for her to succeed on or off the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO Paige could be a WNBA all-star if she left school after this year. Remember Kobe, Daryl Dawkins, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James
Not sure why a 5th year is necessary for her. Of course it would benefit UConn. I think everyone should be thinking what is best for Paige.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Let me explain it.
Paige is the first and basically only womens college BB player that has signed the largest big money licensing agreements.
She's the big fish and the number of NIL women competing against her is very small.
She's hot right now and will remain hot while she stays in college at UConn.
Once she moves to the WNBA she could disappear from the national spotlight that the NCAA tourney provides.

If her market is under 18, then who will she sell BB shoes to when she goes to the WNBA?
The under 18 hip hop crowd that she appeals to the most doesn't watch the WNBA.
Bit they're watching now in college.

If she's selling enough Paige Buckets BB shoes & Gatorade while she's at UConn then I think that she will stay.
She may not be as big of a rock star in the WNBA.
IDK for sure, but youth appeal drives many marketing decisions.
The amount of talent in the WNBA makes it much tougher for her to succeed on or off the court.
Paige's army of fans will be with her as she progresses thru her career. Be it UCONN or professional, she is a magnet, her HS fans have stayed with her as her fan base increases, I see no reason for that to change. When she goes pro she will bring her base with her increasing the popularity of wherever she plays. She is like no other player or individual in WBB she is the rock star!

sun

Reaction Score
Paige's army of fans will be with her as she progresses thru her career. Be it UCONN or professional, she is a magnet, her HS fans have stayed with her as her fan base increases, I see no reason for that to change. When she goes pro she will bring her base with her increasing the popularity of wherever she plays. She is like no other player or individual in WBB she is the rock star!

The WNBA has never even been popular enough to make a profit.

"Is the WNBA losing money?
NBA commissioner Adam Silver reports that the WNBA has lost an average of $10 million every year it has existed, which the NBA subsidizes out of the goodness of its politically correct heart." "

"Has the WNBA made a profit?
In terms of raw numbers, the WNBA generates roughly $60 million in revenue every season. ... It's never been profitable, which looks even worse when you compare it to the NBA's $8 billion yearly revenue." "

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Trying to predict what Paige will, or will not do is fraught with uncertainty. Paige marches to the beat of a different drummer. She is a young woman of strong faith who loves her teammates and has embraced her role as a spokesperson for causes that are dear to her.

Money will not be a concern for her whether she stays in college an extra year or heads to the pros a year early. Her decision might just come down to one question, “Where can Paige Bueckers do the most good?”

Reaction Score
Given she can make money in college, there is history and a legacy waiting if she stays for a fifth year, especially if this one is a wash.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Under old rules I would have expected Paige to leave as soon as she was eligible (which would be after her junior year). Under the new NIL, no idea. On one hand, the WNBA and overseas presents better competition and she'll do well financially going pro, but considering her earning potential with social media, she might stay. WSJ suggests her endorsement deals could be worth $1 million annually, and at UCONN she'll grow her social media faster than in the WNBA and playing overseas.

In the WNBA she'll start out I think around $60,000 to $70,000 for the summer and could probably make another million or so overseas based on player salaries from this article (Highest Paid WNBA Players 2021 & Ever: Top 10 | Queen Ballers Club).

Pretty much a win win situation all around for Paige. If she's responsible with her money, she'll be set for life by her mid 20s which is pretty darn cool.

Reaction Score
What makes Dorka's decision complex is whether UConn is willing to accept her back, or if they might want to accept another transfer player instead.
It's possible that UConn could want Dorka back since that may need her as a big.
But UConn may also need another big to transfer in too.
I'll bet that Geno doesn't want to waste the opportunity to win multiple NC's while Paige is available due to not having a key position player.
UConn will absolutely take Dorka back. And would still have room for 3 transfers. (Not that GA would take that many.)

Reaction Score
Not sure about Dorka staying but two factors likely to be on her mind:
-UConn has several Top 5 bigs coming in. Unlikely Dorka's minutes would go up. Some chance they will decrease.
-Per your comment, big money in Euro womens sports. What does an extra year at UConn buy her?

Reaction Score
-UConn has several Top 5 bigs coming in. Unlikely Dorka's minutes would go up. Some chance they will decrease.
-Per your comment, big money in Euro womens sports. What does an extra year at UConn buy her?
I would assume Paige will leave after four years unless this injury costs her the rest of the season......Dorka is the starting post for UConn next season as .............she has to determine if playing the extra year is going to be beneficial to her pro career...........I'd say as long as she has some sucess this season she will stay for the next one..........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I only said Dorka because she said that was her plan. Of course it could change, but until we hear otherwise I am assuming she'll be back. As far as Paige staying an extra year, I don't think it's worth anything. She will get that top shelf money when she turns pro without having to deal with the encumbrances of being a student to maintain NCAA eligibility while trying to train for and play her sport. So unless she's getting paid way more in college than she would out of college, it's not worth sticking around. Also consider her age as she's on the older side, and every year really matters when your career in the best of times is short.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom