Will Ollie act as Head Coach during Calhoun's suspension? | The Boneyard

Will Ollie act as Head Coach during Calhoun's suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, if he does, I would think it is 100% that Calhoun wants him to be the next head coach

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
This was discussed over the summer I believe. I think Blaney will coach those games. However I do agree that if Ollie coaches those games, it is a dead giveaway that Calhoun wants him to be the next head coach at UConn.

Reaction Score
I would suspect that George would be given those duties, though I would not be shocked if JC asked George to let Ollie take some of the head coaching duties during parts of those games. They could easily do it quietly to see how KO responds during the game. The problem with that idea is if people witness KO calling a time out, the cat would be out of the bag.

I think this would be a good way to handle this, though not saying they'll do it. It would address the respect that George deserves as JC's long standing assistant, but would also give KO some valuable experience, not to mention give the program a chance to see how he handles himself in that role.

I'm sure we'll get a lot of these threads the closer we get to those first 3 BE games.

Reaction Score
I think it has to be Blaney. No doubt it would be good experience for Ollie, but Blaney has earned the right to coach those games.

Reaction Score
Blaney will coach. Ollie will chime in more than usual (as all assistants do when the head coach is out). The BE is not the best place for him to start (as opposed to pre-season), a lot is on the line.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Blaney will coach. Ollie will chime in more than usual (as all assistants do when the head coach is out). The BE is not the best place for him to start (as opposed to pre-season), a lot is on the line.
This makes the most sense. If UConn loses its first game, does JC give Blaney the hook?:)

Reaction Score
if his coaching ability is as good as his recruiting ability, I think we will be in good hands.

Reaction Score
This was discussed over the summer I believe. I think Blaney will coach those games. However I do agree that if Ollie coaches those games, it is a dead giveaway that Calhoun wants him to be the next head coach at UConn.
I think it already is obvious that Calhoun wants him to be the next coach. I think thats a big reason Lafleur left. Not that I think he woulda had a shot at it anyway.

Reaction Score
I think it has to be Blaney. No doubt it would be good experience for Ollie, but Blaney has earned the right to coach those games.
I have no idea what to make of George Blaney's coaching ability. With Calhoun out during the awful 2010 season, we had a great win against Texas but then blew a few games under Blaney's watch (we blew our fair share with JC that year too and Im sure we woulda found a way to blow them no matter who was coaching; just one of those years). I'm not sure I see Blaney as a great coach as much as I see him as Calhouns right hand man and someone for Calhoun to bark ideas and vent frustration out on, but someone that Calhoun respects. I say give Ollie a chance. It's three games against bottom feeder Big East teams. If Ollie screws up, Blaney is right there anway. I'd love to see Ollie get a shot.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I have no idea what to make of George Blaney's coaching ability. With Calhoun out during the awful 2010 season, we had a great win against Texas but then blew a few games under Blaney's watch (we blew our fair share with JC that year too and Im sure we woulda found a way to blow them no matter who was coaching; just one of those years). I'm not sure I see Blaney as a great coach as much as I see him as Calhouns right hand man and someone for Calhoun to bark ideas and vent frustration out on, but someone that Calhoun respects. I say give Ollie a chance. It's three games against bottom feeder Big East teams. If Ollie screws up, Blaney is right there anway. I'd love to see Ollie get a shot.

I LOVE having Blaney on the staff, and I think he's been an invaluable member of the program for years. That said, I was quite unimpressed with his in-game coaching two years ago. Obviously that was a tough team to coach, but he made a number of head-scratching moves down the stretch in games.

I would love to see Ollie coach in these games but it's probably not the best situation, and it's somewhat insulting to Blaney, who has been a good soldier for us.

Reaction Score
I LOVE having Blaney on the staff, and I think he's been an invaluable member of the program for years. That said, I was quite unimpressed with his in-game coaching two years ago. Obviously that was a tough team to coach, but he made a number of head-scratching moves down the stretch in games.

I would love to see Ollie coach in these games but it's probably not the best situation, and it's somewhat insulting to Blaney, who has been a good soldier for us.

Im glad we have him but he almost gets overlooked and I see him almost as more of Calhouns right hand man than an actual coach. I used to think we had a great coaching staff with Moore, Laeito, Hobbs etc. And I now think we do again with Ollie, Hobbs back, Miller to a lesser extent and now K-Free. Im not sure anyone thinks, "man uconn has a great coaching staff with George Blaney".

Reaction Score
Look, my feeling is that Blaney knows that he is not going to be the next head coach. Therefore, if Ollie is the heir apparent, then part of Blaney's job now is to prepare Ollie for the head coach job. Letting Ollie coach with Blaney there to analyze after the game seems like a perfect opportunity. Blaney's not going to be insulted that Ollie takes this role, in fact he will be proud to help the transition.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He's got a 459-382 record as a head coach in college basketball. So he definitely can coach.

My thing is that the downside of having Ollie coach these 3 games outweighs the upside. Three games HC experience doesn't mean much, especially if JC coaches for another few years. However, if UConn lost those 3 (and go back to their winning ways upon JC's return), that doesn't look good for KO.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Im glad we have him but he almost gets overlooked and I see him almost as more of Calhouns right hand man than an actual coach. I used to think we had a great coaching staff with Moore, Laeito, Hobbs etc. And I now think we do again with Ollie, Hobbs back, Miller to a lesser extent and now K-Free. Im not sure anyone thinks, "man uconn has a great coaching staff with George Blaney".

Wouldn't overlook Miller. That guy is a decent HC in his own right. Having your 4th guy down the bench bring the experience of running his own program is huge. Good Xs and Os guy too.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't overlook Miller. That guy is a decent HC in his own right. Having your 4th guy down the bench bring the experience of running his own program is huge. Good Xs and Os guy too.
I was in no way saying George Blaney cant coach. I cant explain it. Its like he lives in Calhouns shadow far more than any other coach.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was in no way saying George Blaney cant coach. I cant explain it. Its like he lives in Calhouns shadow far more than any other coach.

Your definitely right about that. He's JC's closest friend, so that has something to do with it. He's JC's foil: calm/collected vs JCs fire and brimstone. JC can blow up to George any time and it's no worries. He's probably the only one who can calm JC down.

Honestly, I think the presence of Blaney has lengthened JC's career. That's something we can all be thankful for.

Reaction Score
By the way Kevin has not yet been officially anointed as the next head coach. It may be obvious or expected but its still not a done deal. Right now his role is to help the players and the coaching staff implement the game plans. Coaching a game is not in his job description. We all want to see him coach but in time, its way too early.

Reaction Score
only people that have a clue about college basketball.

Reaction Score
Right. Recruits are salivating for the chance to play under George Blaney. Gimme a break.

I didn't realize you were referring to recruits.

you said that noone thinks the staff is great because of george blaney.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Miller will be Ollie's Blaney. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul