Will NFOY Be From a Non-NCAA Team, Even w/ a Losing Record? | The Boneyard

Will NFOY Be From a Non-NCAA Team, Even w/ a Losing Record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe the two best seasons by freshmen this year were by Nebraska's 6'4" Jessica Shepherd w/ 19.0 ppg & 8.6 rpg shooting 51.7% from the field, as well as California's 6'4" Kristine Anigwe w/ 20.5 ppg & 9.3 rpg shooting 57% from the field.

Unfortunately, Nebraska lost their important senior leader Rachel Theriot to injury late in the season. Though they still finish 18-12, Creme does not project them to make the NCAA tournament. California had a very disappointing season, though they upset #10/11 ASU in the conference tournament before falling to #12/14 UCLA in overtime, they finish with a losing record of 15-17.

The two players met head-to-head in non-conference play, and Kristine Anigwe definitely dominated, scoring 29 points & 10 rebounds compared to Jessica Shepard's 6 points & 4 rebounds (fouling out) in what was an overtime win for Cal.

Kelsey Mitchell won NFOY last year, and although they made the NCAA tournament, they finished just outside the top 25 rankings. However, before Mitchell, it seems as if every NFOY winner played for a top 10 team.

Of the ranked teams this year, I can only think of Ogunbowale & Mabrey making double-digit scoring impacts, at about 12 & 11 ppg each respectively.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Having watched a lot of women's basketball this season my vote is for Anigwe.

She is skilled for a big and add that she is a freshman. She has been the rock for California this season.

Anigwe/Sophie Cunningham or Jess Shepard would be the 3 I would think at the top.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Anigwe, but I like her numbers and know she was highly ranked in HS. For some frosh, it's the PT that they get that helps them put up impressive stats. Certainly, Shepard and Anigwe have taken advantage of their opportunities.

I recall a freshman in 2007-08 who made her own opportunities. She finished second in the nation in the AP POY voting. Now, THAT is having an impactful freshman season!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Anigwe, but I like her numbers and know she was highly ranked in HS. For some frosh, it's the PT that they get that helps them put up impressive stats. Certainly, Shepard and Anigwe have taken advantage of their opportunities.

I recall a freshman in 2007-08 who made her own opportunities. She finished second in the nation in the AP POY voting. Now, THAT is having an impactful freshman season!
I've seen Anigwe two or three times. She's legit. Wish she played for Uconn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think there is an issue with a team not making the NCAA as far as FOY . I think a NPOY would need to be incredible to play on a non-NCAA team.

Reaction Score
Starting in 2002-2003, it's quite a list of names! (Starting with Seimone Augustus): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USBWA_National_Freshman_of_the_Year

Code:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Ii0tNfY"><a href="//imgur.com/Ii0tNfY">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
script>

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Starting in 2002-2003, it's quite a list of names! (Starting with Seimone Augustus): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USBWA_National_Freshman_of_the_Year

Code:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Ii0tNfY"><a href="//imgur.com/Ii0tNfY">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
script>
Thanks. I think only 5 of the 14 went on to win a NPOY award:

Seimone
Tina
Maya
Brittney
Odyssey

I don't think that Diamond or Kelsey Mitchell will win NPOY. Jewell certainly had the talent, but she was a contemporary of Stewie.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've seen Anigwe 2 or 3x this year and came away impressed both times. She has excellent athleticism, a nice inside game, a step away game that needs improvement, a good handle, an improving defensive game, and what seems like a good head on her shoulders. She seems very coachable. Shepard seems to have a good all around game as well. Not the athlete Anigwe is. However Shepard seems to me to be in a bad situation at Nebraska that may only get worse. This team may not make the show for her entire 4 years there. She'll have little support up front, at guard or from the bench for what may be her entire term at Nebraska. She may have little inducement to lose the 30-40 pounds she'll need to compete at a higher level both offensively and defensively (hopefully she'll never look like Osahor, unable to get down the floor). Since she'll be the show there for the next four years hoisting up 20-25 shots a game why improve on the little things that will make you a great player? I could be talking out of my toilet here, and may very well be, but Anigwe seems the long term better player here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom