Will Miguel Cabrera reach 3000 hits? | The Boneyard

Will Miguel Cabrera reach 3000 hits?

Reaction Score
Out of all the players in the history of the MLB, there are not many players I have been more interested in than Miguel, Suzuki being one that I always loved watching. I tracked Ichiro in his chase and eventual surpassing of 3000 hits. Now I find myself doing the same for Cabrera. But it seems that, at 37, and 2817 hits, he might fall short? Especially considering the shortened season this year and his very slow start over the first 5 games (.111 batting average in a DH roll).

Does he hit 3000 hits with ease? Barely? Or just miss it? It is a pity because, had it not been for nagging injury issues from the last three seasons: 2017, 18 and 19, we would not even be having this discussion and he'd probably already be at 3000, if not knocking on the door and ready to surpass that mark even in this short season. But injuries in the past 3 seasons leads me to believe he is winding down and does not have much time left...

Furthermore, he surely has a case for the hall of fame, regardless, no? I mean, he is a shoo-in, no? (Just like Ichiro)

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Miggy is in, without a doubt as he was dominant for a time, unlike guys like Rolen, Grich, Whitaker, Lofton, Nettles, etc. who compiled good WAR numbers but were never MVPs, let alone multiple times.

Reaction Score
I think he still gets 3000 pretty easily, he has 4 years left on his contract so only needs to average 45 hits a year over that span. And that should be possible this year and the full seasons. But he's a lock for the HOF

Reaction Score
Well, with that double today that brings him to 2900 hits and a .201 BA on the season. I think he picks up 50-60 more hits this season, since it isn't even July and probably gets up to around .210 BA for the season.

He has hit 5 HR this season and currently resides at 492 HR. I think he could very well reach 500 HR this season perhaps in early September.

I have heard that is uncertain that Detriot would keep him for next year but they'd be mad not to so close to two huge milestones. I still remember how huge the celebration was for Ichiro's 3000th hit and the hit he had when he passed Pete Rose for all-time hits, WHEN accounting for Japan+USA hits.

I know Damon was possibly knocking on 3000 hits a number of years ago and tried, in vein, to get signed for several years with no interested takers. First, the Yankees said no, then many other teams said no. He would have gotten 3000 with an extra season and a half and someone, possibly a team out of contention, should have taken a shot on him. Plus he kept himself really in shape. Good publicity, IMO, for a player to reach 3000 on your team. That's why I think Detriot keeps Miggy around for at least another 1.5 years so celebrate his 500th, probably in September and 3000th, probably by next (late) June. They'd be silly not to, or an out contention team would be silly not to at least, just like many out of contention teams were silly not to give Damon another shot for 3000 a few years ago, short by just 230. By with just 100, I think he is too close not to get a shot and by the end of the season, likely within 40-50, likely teams won't pass on that!

Just the same, Ichiro dragged out his career a little too long and I think he should have retired the same season he hit 3000.
I think Miggy should retire next year as a 3000/500 hitter, as well.

BOTH should be first-ballot HoF without a doubt IMO.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
They have him under contract and they aren’t going to be contending anytime soon. So yes, as long as he doesn’t want to call it quits, he will be with the Tigers for those milestones. As he should be.

And he 1000% should be a HOF inductee. The triple crown probably gets him first ballot.

Reaction Score
Hits 3000 and 3001 tonight, amazing accomplishment along with 502 homeruns. One of the best players to play the game. Fun career to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom