Will Middlebrooks | The Boneyard

Will Middlebrooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought we could start a thread to give Red Sox 3B prospect Will Middlebrooks his due.

For those who have missed his past 12 months:
2011: 22 y/o, 865 OPS (397 PA) in AA, 468 OPS (60 PA) in AAA
2012: 23 y/o, 1057 OPS (100 PA) in AAA - also makes major league debut on 5/2 and goes 2 for 3, BB, SB

I also thought this thread would be a good opportunity for Zyron and Deadrody to publicly apologize for their poor evaluation of Middlebrooks this past offseason.

Reaction Score
I also thought this thread would be a good opportunity for Zyron and Deadrody to publicly apologize for their poor evaluation of Middlebrooks this past offseason.

What are you, insane? OK, Middlebrooks has 2 hits in his major league career, he is amazing.

Now that that is done. All Red Sox fans on here who talked about Jeter must now shove their heads so far up their ass it comes out their mouth. That should equal this dumb request from The Viking.

Edit: Since I had no idea what I said about Middlebrooks, I looked it up. I told someone that he was the 14th rated player in the Red Sox system, not baseball. And that a really favorable ranking he got was from a Red Sox site. I never wrote anything about his playing ability.

Reaction Score
I hope the kid crushes the ball while Youk is out, that way Bobby V will Wally Pip Youk, and all hell will break lose in the clubhouse.

Reaction Score
What are you, insane? OK, Middlebrooks has 2 hits in his major league career, he is amazing.

Now that that is done. All Red Sox fans on here who talked **** about Jeter must now shove their heads so far up their ass it comes out their mouth. That should equal this dumb request from The Viking.

Edit: Since I had no idea what I said about Middlebrooks, I looked it up. I told someone that he was the 14th rated player in the Red Sox system, not baseball. And that a really favorable ranking he got was from a Red Sox site. I never wrote anything about his playing ability.
You may need to get a new search button. You dumped on Middlebrooks while cherrypicking some numbers and ignoring very positive offensive numbers. You also stated that he was a bad defensive player, which is not what most scouting reports state about him. and lastly, you claimed that there was no way you could see him making a 2012 top-100 list.

While you're at it, you can apologize to Soxprospects, they apparently are more knowledgable about the Sox prospects than you. Remember that next time they value a certain prospect highly. They might know what they're talking about.

Regarding Jeter, I'll get in line behind the millions of Yankees fans and the Yankees organization which publicly derided him and wanted to give him the Old Yeller treatment over the last two seasons and during his recent negotiations with Hank/Hal/Levine/Cashman

Reaction Score
I hope the kid crushes the ball while Youk is out, that way Bobby V will Wally Pip Youk, and all hell will break lose in the clubhouse.
I think he is going to get a serious chance. The Youk seems to be fading fast physically. His numbers are in steady decline. I don't think the Sox will pick up his option next year and his trade value has all but disappeared.

Reaction Score
I think he is going to get a serious chance. The Youk seems to be fading fast physically. His numbers are in steady decline. I don't think the Sox will pick up his option next year and his trade value has all but disappeared.
He can't play 3B and stay healthy and you won't see him at 1B. I was hoping the Sox would move him and sign Beltry to more than a 1 year contract.
Youk was a very good player but he appears to be out of gas.The Sox would be nuts to pick up his option.

Reaction Score
He can't play 3B and stay healthy and you won't see him at 1B. I was hoping the Sox would move him and sign Beltry to more than a 1 year contract.
Youk was a very good player but he appears to be out of gas.The Sox would be nuts to pick up his option.
The beat goes on. I think there's more to Beckett's missing a turn. I won't be surprised to see him move to the DL next. There is also clearly something wrong with Buchholtz. Could he be next? They moved Crawford to the 60 day DL. We may not see him at all this year. They are still waiting to see if Jacoby will need surgery. If so, he is done for the year. Looks like its gonna be a long summer.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
2 HRs and 5 RBIs tonight. This kid is real.

Gotta agree with you so far. He has a great attitude and hitting those HR's down the RF lone and LF line was impressive.

Reaction Score
This thread is a microcosm of the baseball board. Some good analysis and stats and some legit appreciation with an equal dose of homerism, hate and personal attacks.

Reaction Score
This thread is a microcosm of the baseball board. Some good analysis and stats and some legit appreciation with an equal dose of homerism, hate and personal attacks.

Welcome to the AL east

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with you so far. He has a great attitude and hitting those HR's down the RF lone and LF line was impressive.

Personally, it's been a while since I saw the rocket he sent over the Green monster...almost made it onto the Pike.

The big question for him is if he'll continue to be productive and if he can weather a cold streak. In addition, will his glove hold up. He made an error last night. Could have been costly. Definitely a downgrade defensively from Youk, but that's more of a praise to Youk than a slight to Middlebrooks.

Youkilis may find himself like Nomar did in 2004. A popular player who quickly sours in the mouth of Boston fans. The success of Will Middlebrooks will only complicate that further.

Reaction Score
Personally, it's been a while since I saw the rocket he sent over the Green monster...almost made it onto the Pike.

The big question for him is if he'll continue to be productive and if he can weather a cold streak. In addition, will his glove hold up. He made an error last night. Could have been costly. Definitely a downgrade defensively from Youk, but that's more of a praise to Youk than a slight to Middlebrooks.

Youkilis may find himself like Nomar did in 2004. A popular player who quickly sours in the mouth of Boston fans. The success of Will Middlebrooks will only complicate that further.
Middlebrooks is off to a great start and I hope he can maintain it. The real test will come when the pitchers start finding the holes in his swing. Will he be able to adjust? I don't like his strikeout to walk ratio. He needs to get better there.

Reaction Score
The beat goes on. I think there's more to Beckett's missing a turn. I won't be surprised to see him move to the DL next. There is also clearly something wrong with Buchholtz. Could he be next? They moved Crawford to the 60 day DL. We may not see him at all this year. They are still waiting to see if Jacoby will need surgery. If so, he is done for the year. Looks like its gonna be a long summer.

Both Beckett and Lester had more pitches in their last start than almost any time in the last four years and it is only May. Bard and Dubront haven't been big league starters before so it is not clear how they will handle the increased pitch load but both have had struggles once over 100 pitches. The writing is on the wall already with Beckett missing a start, I just hope they don't burn out their arms playing catch up over the next few weeks.

The 60 day DL is a procedural thing and retroactive to the start of the season. It clears a roster spot on the 40 man roster. He could come back at any point 60 days after he originally went on the DL.

I hope they don't screw up JE like they did two years ago. This is where the Patriots' method, while often scrutinized, works. Saying a player is two weeks away when he is not puts undue pressure on the player and team to get back.

Reaction Score
Some little tidbits caught on MLBTradeRumors.com about Will Middlebrooks...

and
join
and
on Jim Bowden's list of rookies with the best long-term futures at
ESPN.com

One scout says the Red Sox must trade Youkilis because Middlebrooks has as much power as
of the Angels.

that's some high praise for this kid...another HR tonight.​

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You don't think Booby V. is doing a good job?

Reaction Score
This isn't a suprise to anyone who's seen highlights of how hard he hits it when he connects, but Middlebrooks's HR last night took less time to leave the park than any HR in the majors so far this year.

The kid is a stud...and he's pretty damn good defensively too.

Reaction Score
Definitely another young piece to build a team around. Sox have quite a good few younger players to balance out their older players. I like their chances of competing for WS titles during the next 5 years or so.

Reaction Score
I think he has done an average job.
The Sox are second in the AL in bunts. I've never seen anything like that and I've been a Sox fan for over 60 years. Valentine has done a good job but eventually his mouth will bury him in Boston.
My biggest problem with Valentine is his use of Aceves. He is bringing him in in the 8th sometimes and overusing him. Aceves is pitching the 9th when the Sox have a 3 run lead.I'm not crazy about the way he handles pitchers but overall I like the job he has done.He has a little Joe Torre in him.
If Middlebrooks ends up replacing Youkalis the club house will be just fine. In the end, all the players want the best chance to win.

Reaction Score
The Sox are second in the AL in bunts. I've never seen anything like that and I've been a Sox fan for over 60 years. Valentine has done a good job but eventually his mouth will bury him in Boston.
My biggest problem with Valentine is his use of Aceves. He is bringing him in in the 8th sometimes and overusing him. Aceves is pitching the 9th when the Sox have a 3 run lead.I'm not crazy about the way he handles pitchers but overall I like the job he has done.He has a little Joe Torre in him.
If Middlebrooks ends up replacing Youkalis the club house will be just fine. In the end, all the players want the best chance to win.
I agree on the way Bobby uses Aceves but it has worked well so far. He also seems to push his starters to get more innings out of them. I agree with that. I always felt like Tito babied them a little.

There is a lot to like so far with Middlebrooks but I am concerned about his plate discipline. At this pace, over a full season he would walk 20 times with 150 K's. Youk might be the perfect mentor.

Reaction Score
I agree on the way Bobby uses Aceves but it has worked well so far. He also seems to push his starters to get more innings out of them. I agree with that. I always felt like Tito babied them a little.

There is a lot to like so far with Middlebrooks but I am concerned about his plate discipline. At this pace, over a full season he would walk 20 times with 150 K's. Youk might be the perfect mentor.

Middlebrooks will not bat for average...but with his raw power, I am willing to give up a little bit of average. If he bats .275, I'd be really happy.

Reaction Score
Middlebrooks will not bat for average...but with his raw power, I am willing to give up a little bit of average. If he bats .275, I'd be really happy.

We'll see if Valentine's handling of pitchers works in the dog days of August because that will be the real test. I agree on Tito but there is a middle ground that probably makes more sense.
The Sox bullpen has been incredible so far but I keep waiting for them to fall apart. Aceves can fill a number of roles if Bailey ends up being the closer down the line but the pitcher who has really been a surprise is Miller who has a big time arm and has been throwing strikes. Miller may have learned to pitch and stands a chance to finally live up to his potential. Sometimes it is just a case of a pitcher trusting his stuff and throwing strikes early in the count.

Reaction Score
We'll see if Valentine's handling of pitchers works in the dog days of August because that will be the real test. I agree on Tito but there is a middle ground that probably makes more sense.
The Sox bullpen has been incredible so far but I keep waiting for them to fall apart. Aceves can fill a number of roles if Bailey ends up being the closer down the line but the pitcher who has really been a surprise is Miller who has a big time arm and has been throwing strikes. Miller may have learned to pitch and stands a chance to finally live up to his potential. Sometimes it is just a case of a pitcher trusting his stuff and throwing strikes early in the count.
Although it is a relatively small sample, Andrew Miller has the second fastest average fast ball on the staff. He has hit 97 so far. Guess who is first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom