Will Maya Moore Now Resume Her Basketball Career | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Maya Moore Now Resume Her Basketball Career

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If she does, sadly for us, it likely won't be this year. [LINK]

Mmm, I suppose there could be someone who is a part of a team, gets injured and gets a medical redshirt. Technically, they could win five national championships.

(Okay, I'll shut up now...)

Yes, it could happen. Morgan Tuck could have won 5 national championships had she not left for the W when she did. She had 1 more year of eligibility because she red shirted after 7 games during her sophomore year because of a knee injury, and was shut down the remainder of the season. Had she returned for her "red-shirt" senior year, and if UConn could have won the NC that next year, then she would have absolutely set a record that could never be broken, that is, 5 NC’s.

I’m confident no team will come close to matching UConn’s 4 championships in 4 years, at least in our lifetime. Too much parity in Division 1 now. It used to be UConn, a BIG gap, then everyone else. Not anymore. The gap has slammed shut. Unfortunately, UConn has fallen back to the pack. In year's past, UConn was a lock for a #1 seed, not anymore. Say what you will, argue what you will, but the fact remains.....you've got to have the talent to win championships.

UConn was and is the gold standard in WCBB that all others aspire to be like. Any coach will tell you that recruiting is and will remain the life blood of their (or any other) program. Look at the fall from grace Notre Dame experienced this year. They went for the penthouse to the outhouse in 1 year. This year's team is comprised of 3 freshmen and 5 sophs. Muffit lost her entire starting 5 from a year ago. She was forced to go all the way to square one. From winning the national championship just 2 years ago to a program low of 13-18 (8-10). They figuratively fell off a cliff.

Because of a lack of depth, UConn lost games at home for the first time in 7 years. The 5th starter position has been a revolving door from the beginning of the season. Geno got very little to no production from that spot the first half of the season. Teams are not afraid of UConn anymore. The top ranked "elite" teams teams that once feared UConn and shunned scheduling them because they knew it was an "automatic" loss, now WANT to play UConn so they can knock them off, and get the glory, adulation and recognition from their fan base and the media for doing so. Not to mention a boost in the top 25 rankings. :cool:

There is an age old question that is asked every year. Which is harder to achieve, to win a championship, or to win one again (repeat) the next year? Baylor is looking to repeat. They'll have to get by both South Carolina and Oregon to do so. I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Remember he was convicted by a jury.
And?

A large percentage, perhaps a majority, of wrongful convictions are procured through jury trials. Juries are no safeguard against the myriad causes of bad convictions: police/prosecutorial misconduct, junk science, eyewitness misidentification, false confession, perjured testimony, ineffective counsel, etc.

No one has to be an "activist" to acknowledge or remedy a grave mistake.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can understand the safeguards that a jury of one's peers provides, but I often wonder if a professional jury and a non-adversarial system might assure more justice.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can understand the safeguards that a jury of one's peers provides, but I often wonder if a professional jury and a non-adversarial system might assure more justice.
The defendant always has the option of a bench trial, where the judge decides guilt or innocence. Defendants rarely choose that option, because statistically, judges are more likely than juries to render a guilty verdict.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And?

A large percentage, perhaps a majority, of wrongful convictions are procured through jury trials. Juries are no safeguard against the myriad causes of bad convictions: police/prosecutorial misconduct, junk science, eyewitness misidentification, false confession, perjured testimony, ineffective counsel, etc.

No one has to be an "activist" to acknowledge or remedy a grave mistake.
And what percentage of all convictions are those, 0.01%? 0.1%? The reason for a jury is for all 12_to be convinced, not just 1 years later.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And what percentage of all convictions are those, 0.01%? 0.1%? The reason for a jury is for all 12_to be convinced, not just 1 years later.
You have to be kidding with those ridiculously low percentages. Uninformed to say the least.

Convictions subsequently proven to be wrongful are but the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

But let's run with the absurdly low figure of 0.1%. That would still mean many thousands of people **currently** in prison for crimes they didn't commit. Not to mention all the people not currently incarcerated but with wrongful convictions on their record, many of which leave them tagged as convicted felons or worse.

Even by conservative scientific estimates, the number of currently incarcerated by wrongful conviction is well into the six figures.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You have to be kidding with those ridiculously low percentages. Uninformed to say the least.

Convictions subsequently proven to be wrongful are but the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

But let's run with the absurdly low figure of 0.1%. That would still mean many thousands of people **currently** in prison for crimes they didn't commit. Not to mention all the people not currently incarcerated but with wrongful convictions on their record, many of which leave them tagged as convicted felons or worse.

Even by conservative scientific estimates, the number of currently incarcerated by wrongful conviction is well into the six figures.
So you are saying over a hundred thousand people currently in prison are there because a jury listened to the evidence and was wrong? I took a guess as did you who is the most uniformed?

Reaction Score
I hear you Chuskies! Maya is the reason I became interested in the WNBA. She had just graduated from UConn and entered the W. I was such a BIG fan of hers, I wanted to continue to follow her. If you remember, the Lynx won the championship her rookie year. It didn't take long for the hook to get lodged in deep! Now I'm a huge fan of the W. I transition very smoothly now from WCBB to the W with little effort.

The Liberty is one of the 4 teams I follow, so I appreciate your love and affection for them. I would love to see Maya in any WNBA uniform this season. Moore will turn 31 on June 11. She's got 5-6 more GOOD years left. There are many UConn fans that will give you chapter and verse why Diana Taurasi is believed to be the GOAT of the program. Then there are others that would suggest the same thing about Maya. That is a debate that will never be settled. Their likeness is prominently displayed on the program's Mount Rushmore.

It can be argued that 5-6 others deserve to fill in the other two places, but that's a debate for another time. Maya was just as cold, calculating, productive and clutch as Diana. To use a popular term that's being used by players now: "Maya was a bucket." The difference between them was Diana was much more vocal and in your face. Maya was quiet and reserve. Diana was rah rah, Maya was not.

Maya would cut your heart out as quick as D would. The difference being D would try and put it (shove it) back through the rear orifice. If you look in the UConn record book, you'll find that Maya's name is at the top or close to it for most of the career records for the program.

The thing about that is even though Taurasi is looking up at Maya on many of those lists, you're not going to change public perception. I remind you that Maya has the distinction of being THE ONLY member of the 3,000 career point club in UConn wbb history. She was the first to break that barrier, and no one has yet to join her. It may be awhile before she has company.

Despite that, Taurasi is considered by many (not all) to be the GOAT of the program. Long live the GOAT, and long live Maya. :)
I totally agree that Diana was MORE DEMONSTRATIVE on the court but that has nothing to do with her play on the court or her ability to make her teammates better .... the Silent Assassin .... she let her game do the talking ..... Joe Namath gets status for his boasting and predicting a Super Bowl title for the Jets but if you look at the game, it was the Jet's rushing attack and defense that won that game .... he's a Hall Of Famer despite having as many interceptions as he did touchdown passes and his completion rate was very pedestrian .... I guess the bigger your mouth, the bigger your image .... I'm not suggesting Diana wasn't terrific but did her on court performances exceed Maya .... I would say most neutral people would say she came up a little bit short ...

Reaction Score
So you are saying over a hundred thousand people currently in prison are there because a jury listened to the evidence and was wrong? I took a guess as did you who is the most uniformed?
There are so many factors that contribute to wrongful convictions and one has to do with the lawyers .... there are lawyers who are so eloquent that they ALONE can be the difference between conviction and innocence while there are defense attorneys who often aren't good at their job or not wholeheartedly working for their client. Then there are the law enforcement people who sometimes aren't as proficient at collecting evidence or investigating properly or may often focus their investigations on one suspect too quickly and make assumptions, thus limiting the scope of their investigations. Conversely, some guilty people get off because of shoddy police work so it does work both ways. The justice system works to be fair but it is fair from being perfect.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There are so many factors that contribute to wrongful convictions and one has to do with the lawyers .... there are lawyers who are so eloquent that they ALONE can be the difference between conviction and innocence while there are defense attorneys who often aren't good at their job or not wholeheartedly working for their client. Then there are the law enforcement people who sometimes aren't as proficient at collecting evidence or investigating properly or may often focus their investigations on one suspect too quickly and make assumptions, thus limiting the scope of their investigations. Conversely, some guilty people get off because of shoddy police work so it does work both ways. The justice system works to be fair but it is fair from being perfect.
Bingo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom